Gold Coast Suns vs. Essendon

Metricon Stadium  

TIme: 6.10pm (local) 

Game 2:

Tuesday Feb 25th

Essendon vs. Port Adelaide

Etihad Stadium  

Time: 7.10pm

These are the 'official' games listed as part of AFL's 18 matches in 18 consecutive days & this constitutes the 2014 NAB Cup.

Our Round 1 game against Kangas is March 21.

Do we not have any games scheduled for almost 4 weeks?

Is it up to Club to organise 'friendlies' against other clubs?

Is there a proposed 'All-Stars' or 'Origin' or 'Best Of's' game scheduled to happen during this time?

The old NAB Cup format was never taken very seriously as a competition by most Clubs but this new arrangement has done little to give it any credibility.

I think they (the AFL) have accepted that clubs will never take it seriously. It is not a prize worth winning for the clubs anymore, but rather just another step in the all important pre-season. No point pretending it is something it isn't. They have been glorified practice matches for at least the last 5 - 10 years if not longer. At least the AFL isn't pretending they are anything more than that anymore.

I think the original plan was for an All-Stars / origin game in that month break but it got canned. Some clubs start the week before us, so they have only a 3 week break between the end of the NAB challenge and the season proper.

So............... we play :

Game 1: 

Monday Feb 17th

Gold Coast Suns vs. Essendon

Metricon Stadium  

TIme: 6.10pm (local) 

Game 2:

Tuesday Feb 25th

Essendon vs. Port Adelaide

Etihad Stadium  

Time: 7.10pm

These are the 'official' games listed as part of AFL's 18 matches in 18 consecutive days & this constitutes the 2014 NAB Cup.

Our Round 1 game against Kangas is March 21.

Do we not have any games scheduled for almost 4 weeks?

Is it up to Club to organise 'friendlies' against other clubs?

Is there a proposed 'All-Stars' or 'Origin' or 'Best Of's' game scheduled to happen during this time?

The old NAB Cup format was never taken very seriously as a competition by most Clubs but this new arrangement has done little to give it any credibility.

There will almost certainly be two practice matches for the club between the Port game and the North game.

IIRC something was said at the time about the clubs holding 2 intra club matches between the official preseason games and rd 1

New format hardly 'fan-friendly' but I guess that is more the collective Clubs doing  than the AFL.

This is just 'kick & giggle' stuff.

I guess we just play the kids & don't get disappointed when we don't win a game.

Will be interesting to see our Club's approach to it.

IIRC something was said at the time about the clubs holding 2 intra club matches between the official preseason games and rd 1

I think youre right.

Dont we have another match scheduled after Port against Richmond? With date and location TBA?

I'm sure I read we are playing Richmond at Punt Road before the season proper.

New format hardly 'fan-friendly' but I guess that is more the collective Clubs doing than the AFL

Foxtel-friendly. That's all that matters.

I wish somehow Essendon could get down to tassie for a pre season game, the last time they played in tassie was in the 90's at North Hobart.

The NAB Cup is the AFL's way to monetise practice matches.  Nothing more, nothing less. 

NAB Cup is nothing more than an opportunity for the kids to play in front of a basic simulation of what a real game would be and never means anything.

I remember last year basically our best 22 lost to the Richmond 'reserves' which was lead by Ricky Petterd and then we came out and started the season something like 13-2.

Good opportunity to see what the new recruits have and that is it.

Game against Richmond at Punt Road or that other joint where some VFL games are being played.

Would like to see a game in the country somewhere, or at Princes Park. The pre season game against Brisbane there had a great vibe.

Game against Richmond at Punt Road or that other joint where some VFL games are being played.
Would like to see a game in the country somewhere, or at Princes Park. The pre season game against Brisbane there had a great vibe.

I went to that one too, and I agree. A game at Punt Rd vs the Tiges would be awesome.

very much looking forward to seeing zach merrett

Can we play rookies in the NAB or does it have to be senior players?

Can we play rookies in the NAB or does it have to be senior players?

Yes

We need to get back fines money somehow, I think they will want to win it...

Also to show to the AFL world we haven't crawled into our holes we are on a redemption mission

We need to get back fines money somehow, I think they will want to win it...
Also to show to the AFL world we haven't crawled into our holes we are on a redemption mission

I can see the the headlines now
"Experts say PED's still in effect"

■■■■■■ Foxtel!!! Im trying to cut back on spending!