NAB Cup team make-up

What, no make up, how about moisturiser then?

Winning form is good form, so I’m a big advocate of getting the best possible side out there as often as we can, try and bed in some of the new recruits, and hit Round 1 with confidence and hopefully a few wins on the board. The extended benches mean you’ll give guys outside the best 22 a chance, so the new draft picks and 2nd-4th year players like Kav, Alex Browne, Edwards, etc should also get a decent look. I also want to see how the forward line functions and get those blokes playing with each other and seeing some form of understanding between them.

Damn it wim, I can’t tell if you’re taking the ■■■■ or not.

Was serious, sadly.
Was going off the footywire(?) site, which clearly wasn’t updated, and looking at our taller options.
Forgot we delisted him.

We really are on thin ice with tall backs, aren’t we.

You’re forgetting Marigliani and Klemke too

A reply to: @Peeto87 regarding QuoteLink

You're forgetting Marigliani and Klemke too

Let’s not forget that Muscles is back on the VFL list. We can’t take the ■■■■ out of him anymore!

Quoted Post

You're forgetting Marigliani and Klemke too

Still too short.
Bock must be about to pay dividends though.

A reply to: @Bombers08 regarding QuoteLink

Don't consider myself a 'knowledgeable blitzer' but will definitely have a crack. I hope we go with a younger side first up to see their style of play and whether they can execute the plan of Hird.

We all know how good the likes of Jobe, BJ, Hooker, etc etc can be, so wouldn’t mind seeing a team like this:

B: Ashby Steinberg Aylett
HB: Edwards Gwilt Dalgleish
C: Gleeson Cooney Kavanagh
HF: Laverde Giles Jerrett
FF: Fantasia Daniher Ambrose
RR: Bellchambers O’Brien Melksham
I: McKernan Langford Long McKenna Zerrett Colyer

I purposely have left out Browne, Pears and Hams as I don’t think they’ll be ready by then. Hopefully by the last game of the NAB Cup they’ll be available.

The more senior players will be eased back in for games 2/3 for the younger ones that need the rest.

Sadly, I don’t think we’ll see a side this young play, if only for the fact that we’ll be wanting to stick to (and work on) our gameplan to fine tune it, and we’ll need some of our leaders out there on the ground. Who would captain that team? Cooney? Melksham or Bellchambers?

It would basically be like sending out the VFL team, and no one would improve. Even if you threw in Stanton, Zaka, Chappy/Licha you’d have some guys good enough to keep things together on field and report back to coaches on how the younger guys performed, who’s ready for the big stage etc.

Also I don’t think the young guys will be hurting too much after a NAB game, it would be similar to the intra-clubs.

Having said all this Im looking forward to seeing the kids play and hopefully seeing a couple emerge as having the talent to play 100 games (or more!) for us. Leaving a bit of a leadership vaccuum would also allow some of the younger guys to show their leadership potential.

If all the sides in the NAB series play a complete B team, we will just see our B team vs other B teams. Sure it gets them up and running
but we want to see how the boys play against the men. For that you have to wait for the season proper. NAB series is just a hit out really isnt it ? Its not even for a pre-season sheepstation anymore.

so basically we’ll have the VFL.

A reply to: @chris_64 regarding QuoteLink

If all the sides in the NAB series play a complete B team, we will just see our B team vs other B teams. Sure it gets them up and running but we want to see how the boys play against the men. For that you have to wait for the season proper. NAB series is just a hit out really isnt it ? Its not even for a pre-season sheepstation anymore.

Yeah it’s pretty hard to get anything out of the pre-season games. Most teams don’t want to give too much away about their gameplan and so any tweaks you might have made you’d probably want to stay under wraps, i.e, if Hurley is going to play forward against the swans wouldn’t we prefer to surprise them on the night?

Giving the kids a run probably makes them feel more a part of the team and possibly less nervous when they do play their first proper match, but then it will mean a lot more to them if they are playing alongside Jobe/Hepp/Goddard than guys who usually can’t make the senior side.

Are we playing St Kilda, GWS and Melbourne? Our kids plus a couple of noobs like Cooney and Gwilt (and Fletch as captain cause he always seems to want to play) should be able to hammer whatever B team those guys come up with.

Everyone plays with exception the to veteran players whom get managed.

Quoted Post

Everyone plays with exception the to veteran players whom get managed.

I’m sure the club could do with the funds to pay off the debt of the fine and Tullamarine.

Personally, my dream NAB 22;
(When resting Fletch, Chappy & Stants)

Bags Hooker Bags
Hurley Buckets Pig
Cooney Heppell Cooney
Hurley JOE Hurley
Zerrett Buckets Zerrett
R: Bellchambers Jobe Heppell
I: Cooney, Zerrett, Giles, Heppell (S).

Is cloning in an offsite clandestine dungeon regarded as ‘bringing the game into disrepute’ or is it just frowned upon?

Although just a practice match, the NAB is invaluable training. Not having your main players there just to blood kids is ridiculous, and defeats the purpose. Though it’s a fun scenario.

If jake is still injured, I’d like to see some thought going into the forward line. I wonder if McKernan gets an upgrade or belly plays there.

A reply to: @Humble NSW Fan regarding QuoteLink

If jake is still injured, I'd like to see some thought going into the forward line. I wonder if McKernan gets an upgrade or belly plays there.

Based on what I’ve seen thus far, McKernan ain’t getting upgraded in a hurry.

Quoted Post

A reply to: @Humble NSW Fan regarding QuoteLink
If jake is still injured, I'd like to see some thought going into the forward line. I wonder if McKernan gets an upgrade or belly plays there.

Based on what I’ve seen thus far, McKernan ain’t getting upgraded in a hurry.

O dear. Thanks for this. I hope he can get it all together, we may need him.