NAB Rising Star Count Today. Zerrett A Shot?

Marcus Bontempelli, Lewis Taylor, Harry Cunningham and Luke McDonald possible Rising Star winners
  • Sam Landsberger
  • Herald Sun
  • September 02, 2014 3:36P

RISING Star judges believe as many as 12 of this year‘s nominees are chances when the votes are tallied in what shapes as one of the most even counts at Crown today.

Western Bulldog Marcus Bontempelli ($1.70) — whose first-year highlights reel already has many covered — and pocket rocket Brisbane Lion Lewy Taylor ($2.75) are the sole pair given a chance by bookmakers.

But AFL talent manager Kevin Sheehan yesterday said at the last judges‘ meeting in July as many as nine possible winners were floated and that number has since swelled to a dozen.

“That‘s the first time that‘s ever occurred. There‘s normally only two or three possible contenders,” he said.

“There would be a dozen players who could be in your top five, without a doubt in the world.

“There‘s no doubt in my mind it‘s potentially the most even we‘ve ever seen.”

530938-ddb6f808-3284-11e4-aafa-2c4cfd90e

Marcus Bontempelli signed a contract extension this year. Picture: Wayne Ludbey Source: News Corp Australia

Sheehan said the spread of talent reminded him of the inaugural 1993 count, when legend Nathan Buckley won ahead of James Hird, Matthew Richardson, Mark Ricciuto and Scott West.

Judges cast their 5-4-3-2-1 votes on Sunday night after Bontempelli punctuated his season with 19 disposals and two goals in a year where the 192cm midfielder likely jagged goal of the year to beat Melbourne and was instrumental in the Dogs‘ victory against Collingwood.

Sheehan said Rising Star votes were strictly cast on output this year — and not “how you‘ll unfold in five years‘ time — and Dogs coach Brendan McCartney said either favourite would be deserving.

“I have a feeling both those young men will be great players for a long time and either boy would be a really good winner, a really good winner,” he said.

530966-13325252-3285-11e4-aafa-2c4cfd90e

Lewis Taylor pictured at Brisbane training. Source: News Corp Australia

Bontempelli and Taylor enjoyed opposite draft years as the 173cm Lion started 2013 one of the hottest talents and won Brent Harvey comparisons before slipping to No. 28, while “The Bont” rocketed north on the back of his enormous upside with the Dogs securing him at No. 4

Taylor played every game and helped spark Brisbane‘s year with his speed and creativity and fellow nominee Darcy Gardiner recently pushed his case ahead of teammate James Aish.

Powerful Dog Jake Stringer slotted 22 goals in his final nine games and AFL legend Kevin Sheedy believes polished midfielder Josh Kelly deserves to be the first successful Giant.

North Melbourne star Drew Petrie says defender Luke McDonald must be in the top two, most likely with Bontempelli.

“Luke‘s done some courageous things this year, he‘s had run-with roles and he‘s like a dog at a bone,” Petrie said.

“He‘s earnt his spot every single week this year. I expect him to feature really well in our own best-and-fairest and I expect him to be in the top two for the Rising Star.”

533518-8d250ab8-3286-11e4-aafa-2c4cfd90e

Harry Cunningham gets a handball away against West Coast. Photo by Daniel Wilkins. Source: News Corp Australia

Sydney‘s Harry Cunningham played every game in the top side, Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley wants Jarman Impey to feature after impressing with his lockdown roles and Collingwood‘s Tom Langdon started the season on fire before fading with the Pies.

Gold Coast ball magnet Kade Kolodjashnij‘s hamstring will likely cost the half-back votes but Zach Merrett — who has kicked 11.0 in his career — and Essendon teammate Joe Daniher were discussed by judges.

Giants spearhead Jon Patton clunked 96 marks in his 25-goal season before again rupturing his ACL and St Kilda‘s Luke Dunstan — the first nomination — impressed as a tough midfielder in his 16 games, winning Lenny Hayes‘ No. 7 guernsey.

WHO IS ELIGIBLE FROM YOUR CLUB

ADELAIDE: Matt Crouch

BRISBANE LIONS: Lewy Taylor, James Aish, Darcy Gardiner

CARLTON: Troy Menzel, Dylan Buckley

COLLINGWOOD: Tom Langdon

ESSENDON: Zach Merrett, Joe Daniher

FREMANTLE: Matt Taberner

GWS: Josh Kelly, Jon Patton

GOLD COAST: Kade Kolodjashnij, Jack Martin

NORTH MELBOURNE: Luke McDonald

PORT ADELAIDE: Jarman Impey

ST KILDA: Luke Dunstan, Jack Billings

SYDNEY: Harry Cunningham, Jake Lloyd

WESTERN BULLDOGS: Marcus Bontempelli, Jake Stringer, Nathan Hrovat

Media had a massive hard on for Bontempelli. Probably a bit easier to stand out when your club is struggling.

It's a pretty open field this year. I think Bontempelli will win it, with Kelly and Taylor likely runners-up.

One of Zerrett’s highlights in the AFL website’s rising stars video is Jackson kicking a goal.

Will be out of Bontempelli and Taylor, think Bontempelli will get it.
Expect Merret to finish around 5th or so. Kelly, Cunningham and probably Aish will finish above him

Won’t win, It’s a media driven award. Bonts will get it.

What about the guy who’s 4th for goals, 3rd for goal assists and 1st for marks of the nominees, while having a serious opponent trying to shut him down every week?

What about the guy who's 4th for goals, 3rd for goal assists and 1st for marks of the nominees, while having a serious opponent trying to shut him down every week?

Sam Ried?

Bontempelli for sure and I wouldn't argue that.

I would love to know how many matches he and MacDonald were subs and what their averages are in non sub-affected games.

your cue, Ivan

Love him and would love to see him win but I doubt he will.

The favourite always wins. Look at Hepp the year he won it. The media get what they want and this year they want Bontempelli. 

Who cares if he doesn’t win. As long as he becomes the star we all expect

I wouldn’t think kelly would even be close. Zacs had a far better year imo

Marcus Bontempelli, Lewis Taylor, Harry Cunningham and Luke McDonald possible Rising Star winners
  • Sam Landsberger
  • Herald Sun
  • September 02, 2014 3:36P

RISING Star judges believe as many as 12 of this year‘s nominees are chances when the votes are tallied in what shapes as one of the most even counts at Crown today.

Western Bulldog Marcus Bontempelli ($1.70) — whose first-year highlights reel already has many covered — and pocket rocket Brisbane Lion Lewy Taylor ($2.75) are the sole pair given a chance by bookmakers.

But AFL talent manager Kevin Sheehan yesterday said at the last judges‘ meeting in July as many as nine possible winners were floated and that number has since swelled to a dozen.

“That‘s the first time that‘s ever occurred. There‘s normally only two or three possible contenders,” he said.

“There would be a dozen players who could be in your top five, without a doubt in the world.

“There‘s no doubt in my mind it‘s potentially the most even we‘ve ever seen.”

530938-ddb6f808-3284-11e4-aafa-2c4cfd90e

Marcus Bontempelli signed a contract extension this year. Picture: Wayne Ludbey Source: News Corp Australia

Sheehan said the spread of talent reminded him of the inaugural 1993 count, when legend Nathan Buckley won ahead of James Hird, Matthew Richardson, Mark Ricciuto and Scott West.

Judges cast their 5-4-3-2-1 votes on Sunday night after Bontempelli punctuated his season with 19 disposals and two goals in a year where the 192cm midfielder likely jagged goal of the year to beat Melbourne and was instrumental in the Dogs‘ victory against Collingwood.

Sheehan said Rising Star votes were strictly cast on output this year — and not “how you‘ll unfold in five years‘ time — and Dogs coach Brendan McCartney said either favourite would be deserving.

“I have a feeling both those young men will be great players for a long time and either boy would be a really good winner, a really good winner,” he said.

530966-13325252-3285-11e4-aafa-2c4cfd90e

Lewis Taylor pictured at Brisbane training. Source: News Corp Australia

Bontempelli and Taylor enjoyed opposite draft years as the 173cm Lion started 2013 one of the hottest talents and won Brent Harvey comparisons before slipping to No. 28, while “The Bont” rocketed north on the back of his enormous upside with the Dogs securing him at No. 4

Taylor played every game and helped spark Brisbane‘s year with his speed and creativity and fellow nominee Darcy Gardiner recently pushed his case ahead of teammate James Aish.

Powerful Dog Jake Stringer slotted 22 goals in his final nine games and AFL legend Kevin Sheedy believes polished midfielder Josh Kelly deserves to be the first successful Giant.

North Melbourne star Drew Petrie says defender Luke McDonald must be in the top two, most likely with Bontempelli.

“Luke‘s done some courageous things this year, he‘s had run-with roles and he‘s like a dog at a bone,” Petrie said.

“He‘s earnt his spot every single week this year. I expect him to feature really well in our own best-and-fairest and I expect him to be in the top two for the Rising Star.”

533518-8d250ab8-3286-11e4-aafa-2c4cfd90e

Harry Cunningham gets a handball away against West Coast. Photo by Daniel Wilkins. Source: News Corp Australia

Sydney‘s Harry Cunningham played every game in the top side, Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley wants Jarman Impey to feature after impressing with his lockdown roles and Collingwood‘s Tom Langdon started the season on fire before fading with the Pies.

Gold Coast ball magnet Kade Kolodjashnij‘s hamstring will likely cost the half-back votes but Zach Merrett — who has kicked 11.0 in his career — and Essendon teammate Joe Daniher were discussed by judges.

Giants spearhead Jon Patton clunked 96 marks in his 25-goal season before again rupturing his ACL and St Kilda‘s Luke Dunstan — the first nomination — impressed as a tough midfielder in his 16 games, winning Lenny Hayes‘ No. 7 guernsey.

WHO IS ELIGIBLE FROM YOUR CLUB

ADELAIDE: Matt Crouch

BRISBANE LIONS: Lewy Taylor, James Aish, Darcy Gardiner

CARLTON: Troy Menzel, Dylan Buckley

COLLINGWOOD: Tom Langdon

ESSENDON: Zach Merrett, Joe Daniher

FREMANTLE: Matt Taberner

GWS: Josh Kelly, Jon Patton

GOLD COAST: Kade Kolodjashnij, Jack Martin

NORTH MELBOURNE: Luke McDonald

PORT ADELAIDE: Jarman Impey

ST KILDA: Luke Dunstan, Jack Billings

SYDNEY: Harry Cunningham, Jake Lloyd

WESTERN BULLDOGS: Marcus Bontempelli, Jake Stringer, Nathan Hrovat

Seriously, Daniher should win this from Patton if the judges actually know anything about football.

Playing KP forward is the hardest role in football.

Daniher has copped the best or second best KP defender every week as well as playing substantial minutes in the ruck.

The rest are all predominantly midfield types who, at this stage of their career, rarely attract the #1 tagger of #1 small defender allowing them to be purely offensive players.

Jake Stringer a great example - super talented and dangerous as medium forward but doesn't have a defensive bone in his body (based on what I saw live ESS v WB a few weeks ago).

Who cares if he doesn't win. As long as he becomes the star we all expect

It would be nice if he wins it. Merret and Daniher going on to have stellar careers, and multiple premierships, will be nicer.

Apparently betting on this has been suspended. Some people just don't know when to keep their mouths shut. Typical AFL.

Here's my prediction: neither of the Essendon boys will poll a vote. 

Yep.

I think Lewis Taylor should win.

Has played all 22 games, averaging 17 disposals and kicking 12 goals as a small mid/fwd.