Nat-Rat article

What a great leader Nathan Lovett-Murray has become… I remember years ago Sheedy commenting on his leadership qualities - He has certainly been proved right.
Good luck Nathan, you are an inspiration.

We've had how many Dreamtime at the 'G games... and that's the first time I've heard that story.

What the hell are we doing?

Get the BomberTV lads together with Natrat and put together a video telling the story. Make it political. Build an awareness. Challenge the way people think. Give the aboriginal community a platform.

Doesn’t really matter if we agree of disagree. What I see in that article is a communities version of events that differ from mine. Surely giving expression to that should be what Dreamtime at the 'G is all about?

No offence intended but this are only a small sample of a dark history.

Its a history that the AFL will never put front and centre for several reasons.

Google it for more, look up Myall Lake Massacre as an example.

Being from the area (a few years ago now) Nat Rats cause (and the greater cause) has been hampered by biased reporting, government, agendas, poor funding and exceptional funding mismanagement.

I wish him every success in his cause, the real benefits of his work (and others) will be enjoyed by his sons

God we suck as a country.

Why don’t you try Syria for a year then let us know how you compare the two?

Edit : Article is a great read, very powerful

Should really promote Payback Recs in the US. Reckon it would get a huge cult following…

Perfect LCD argument. Someone makes a statement. Someone responds with an inane comparative. Conversation becomes a ■■■■■■■ contest.

We've had how many Dreamtime at the 'G games... and that's the first time I've heard that story.

Get the BomberTV lads together with Natrat and put together a video telling the story. Make it political. Build an awareness. Challenge the way people think. Give the aboriginal community a platform.

Doesn’t really matter if we agree of disagree. What I see in that article is a communities version of events that differ from mine. Surely giving expression to that should be what Dreamtime at the 'G is all about?

Being from the area (a few years ago now) Nat Rats cause (and the greater cause) has been hampered by biased reporting, government, agendas, poor funding and exceptional funding mismanagement.

I wish him every success in his cause, the real benefits of his work (and others) will be enjoyed by his sons

A good book to read is Why weren't we told? by Professor Henry Reynolds.

Perfect LCD argument. Someone makes a statement. Someone responds with an inane comparative. Conversation becomes a ■■■■■■■ contest.

I’ll try clarify so it makes sense. He said we suck as a country, I gave an example of a country that sucks more in relation to treatment of minorities. Hardly inane.

Australia has put some tremendous initiatives in place to help many different minorities.

No pissing contest either because a) it’s the Internet and b) we are two men (I think) just stating opinions and moving on.

I would like to know what a LCD argument is?

My jedi master,

it is inane. You changed the narrative by choosing to compare binary opposites; stable to unstable, Australia to Syria. A comment was made and you chose the lowest common denominator approach to contend the point by using a stupid comparative.

It has no argumentative value nor a relevant contribution. Just a debased simplistic approach to negate a position.

Our obligations to indigenous Australians have no relative merit to Syria or any comparative state other than doing better in our own capacities, achieving more and securing rightful standards not currently evident. Our governments are just not succeeding by any internal measure.

And…

This might be true but is funny in context: “Australia has put some tremendous initiatives in place to help many different minorities.”
What is going on there? Mildly hilarious on topic.

My jedi master,

it is inane. You changed the narrative by choosing to compare binary opposites; stable to unstable, Australia to Syria. A comment was made and you chose the lowest common denominator approach to contend the point by using a stupid comparative.

It has no argumentative value nor a relevant contribution. Just a debased simplistic approach to negate a position.

Our obligations to indigenous Australians have no relative merit to Syria or any comparative state other than doing better in our own capacities, achieving more and securing rightful standards not currently evident. Our governments are just not succeeding by any internal measure.

And…

This might be true but is funny in context: “Australia has put some tremendous initiatives in place to help many different minorities.”
What is going on there? Mildly hilarious on topic.

I disagree. But if I was to argue it would appear to be a pissing contest :).

Edit: next time I’ll say America. Lol

The Myall Creek massacre near Gwydir River, in the central New South Wales district of Namoi, involved the killing of up to 30 unarmed Indigenous Australians by ten white Europeans and one black African on 10 June 1838 at the Myall Creek near Bingara in northern New South Wales. After two trials, seven of the 11 colonists involved in the killings were found guilty of murder and hanged. British justice at work. Found guilty on the 5th Dec. hanged on the 18th. Bit of a timeline difference to the drug trafficking scum of today.

These days with the leftist led legal system they would hand off responsibility to society and get 8-15 with parole handed down early.

The other four were to be re-trialled but the aboriginal witness “disappeared” so you can probably add him to the total.

^^ Wow… What a pathetic post.

From the article…

The Gunditjmara people were finally defeated in the 20-year frontier wars after the settlers employed Aboriginal people from Queensland to track them into the rocky areas where the settlers couldn’t reach. Lovett-Murray calls it “black yabbie syndrome”, an adaptation of the tall poppy syndrome. “Two farmers have a bucket of yabbies each, one has a lid and the other one doesn’t. The farmer with the lid says to the other one, ‘you better get a lid for those yabbies’. The one without says, ‘it’s OK, they’re all black yabbies in there, if one tries to crawl out the other ones will pull him back down’.”

Reminds me of a story I’ve shared here a bunch of times of a kid from highschool who was such a enthusiastic, motivated kid who gradually got pulled down by family.

I saw him a while back, bottle in hand. Age had not been kind. I was too scared to say hi, and frankly didn’t think he’d even remember who I was.

On the weekend I was talking to my nieces who now go to that highschool. They asked if I knew “X”. I said yeah. Apparently he now works as a liason at the school and when he had seen my nieces surname he’d asked if they knew me and he had gotten very excited when they heard I was their uncle.

Pretty ashamed I didn’t say hi. Hopefully next time I’ll do better.

I remember in the days before the apology, people opposing it because it would open up grounds for compensation. My response was always the same - “good”. We should all carry shame. We must make it right.

Great story zebba. And it is funny what you just don’t know and can learn.

I am 45 and never whilst at school never had much exposure to Indigenous issues. It was a conservative school and i came from a conservative background. School and family, just not on their radar. In terms of texts and content the curriculum did not cover any indigenous issues or affairs. None.

In a professional capacity some years ago i had to do a short PD course. I was at the time working for a refugee community but do not remember exactly what the topic/certification was. I do remember the enthusiasm my younger, conscribed cohorts had for indig affairs and was very curious re where and how they had become so informed. It was related but not why we were there.

School. It had been inserted as part of the curriculum. Theirs anyway but it made a difference. I lament that in my formative education.

My point is that education, the lack of it or the better delivery of it is key. Racism in australia is present and do not wish for any conversations on that topic but do think it is misunderstood. Literacy on these issues is critical. Inequality and poverty will sponsor those with less balanced views.

Kids needs to be confronted with stories like the OP. It has feeling which they connect to and does make a difference. Just like yours Zebba.

Growing up in it isn’t necessarily a help. It was a very “us” vs “them” culture in the school.

It’s funny, I grew up in a school full of Koori kids and came out of there racist, thinking it was all their fault. At the same time, the school had no Asian kids, and I came out of it racist, thinking we were being taken over by people who didn’t want to be Australian.

It was only later that I woke up.