Nathan Brown

I mind it, deliberate effort to remove a damaging player from the field at full pace, zero awareness on Saad’s part and could’ve resulted in a broken neck. Not a fair bump and not in the spirit of the game at any point, let alone now. Rotten

1 Like

Don’t really understand the hysteria either TBH.

Brown did the right thing by attempting to block Saad’s run and lay a solid bump. He fkd it up big time though by not getting low enough and I think it was very unlucky that Saad was totally blindsided which made the hit that much worse (which to be fair is probably an strange part of the rules these days). Will rightly cop 2-3 (I’d say 3) and no more IMO.

3 Likes

The ball had been cleared by Saad, Saad had well and truly left the contested area.
Brown fkd up because the bump then became an issue of engaging in rough conduct that was unreasonable in the circumstances.
The penalty is increased because there was discernible head contact.
It’s all laid out in the rules.

1 Like

So what you’re saying is the umps failed to implement the “Goddard Rule” and give us a fifty metre penalty for stopping a guy continuing on to the next part of play.

Pls.

4 Likes

Nutso Dell, he had more than enough time to pull out or simply impede, never once looked at anything other than Saad who had well disposed of the ball, and barrelled him full force with intent to harm.

4 Likes

It was late, Saad had no reason to expect it and it was high. I think 4 weeks is about right but I’m not going to be fussed either way. Given he has been sent straight to the tribunal I believe it is a minimum of 3 weeks. It may finish his career.

1 Like

I might be wrong but I seem to remember some Saints supporters lamenting that Brown had another year to go.

Literal lol at the suggestion that Brown did anything other than Decide to hit a guy late.

It would have been easier for him to pull up.
The ball was twenty metres away at that point, and getting further away every moment.
It wasn’t a block, there was nothing to block.
It was a late hit, pure and simple.

It was weak, snipery ■■■■, and it left Saad concussed.

3 Likes

Late and cheap and likely to cop weeks for it. If these games a ‘must win’, losing players to suspension is the last thing we need.

ooohhhhh nafe, what are the odds on the Dinkentoonba thirds this weekend.

Saad could have made a cup of coffee between his handball and Browns hit.
Late, stupid, gutless hit.

1 Like

With you bring a former teacher, I have a greater issue with you making a plural with an apostrophe s.

4 Likes

It’s not unlucky he had ages to abort the bump. It was a ■■■■ thing to do

Yep, all of the above.

What’s interesting, and has been missed a bit in all the furore…is that after the Gaff/Brayshaw incident, Jordan Lewis said something along the lines ’ the decision isn’t always ours’…Nathan Buckley gave more weight to this in refusing to advocate taking the ‘punch’ out of the game.

I’ve no doubt that St Kilda was directed to pay Saad very close ‘attention’ and I reckon this is part of our game we should definitely look at.

Or more, could have still bumped but not as severe.

Could have checked him at half the power he did and Saad would have still felt it.

Is there anything wrong with bumping someone late? Had he had crouched and hit Saad right through the core and laid him out it would have been awesome (ignoring the fact that one of ours was the victim).

The sin was the poor execution.

1 Like

It’s against the rules of the game

4 Likes

I know both Brown twins and they are ripper blokes, and that is genuine. Really nice fellas, down to earth. But that was a very ordinary incident Friday Night. I’ve just listened to Richardson on 360 just now. Robbo asked if he’d told his players to target Saad or McKenna. He in a roundabout way said he did. It was late and coming from the blindside, got him unawares and the end result could’ve been far worse. I think it’s worth 3 weeks. To me it’s intentional no question. You can’t line up a guy from 50-60m away and not mean it.

1 Like

yeah, highlights how much of a squib robbo and whatley are for (choosing) not to pick up on it.

If that hit were not high would it be a free? Don’t think it (necessarily) would personally