NBA 2018/19 Ben Simmons is ROTY. MEGA THREAD!

Nah, them and Reebok are pretty much dead. Brands like Peak and Anta have a lot more traction

Yeah, I thought were talking about endorsements coz Wezza was talking about Puma signing Ayton

What about BIG BALLER BRAND :tm: ??!?!

…I hear they are the greatest in the history of the world

6 Likes

Gosh, I have not heard of Peak or Anta. I am miles off the pace, I guess I stopped selling sports shoes in 2005.

Kawhi is apparently getting ready to tell any team that wants to seek a trade for him that he will not re-sign for them after his current deal is up and will sign with the Lakers.

Met with Pop in Cali today or yesterday.

Would have been interesting to be a fly on the wall during that conversation.

Spurs leverage is dwindling further.

Not really.

Let’s say San Antonio don’t trade Kawhi for now.
The Lakers sign Lebron and Paul George.
They don’t have the money the following season to sign Kawhi outright.

For memory Deng’s contract runs out the year after Kawhi can sign.

Agree, seeing Lebron in the West would be fun though.

All the Lakers would have to do it move Deng’s contract by attaching picks to it and by next year it will become an asset anyway as it is an expiring contract which are incredibly valuable in the NBA these days.

The Lakers should make their move this off-season though by moving Deng’s deal, signing LeBron and George and trading for Kawhi because then the salary works out (Kawhi & Deng are on almost identical money ATM) and then the Lakers can go above the cap to re-sign Kawhi next season as they’ll have his Bird rights.

It is looking promising but a lot of things have to go right in order for us to pull it all off.

Dwight traded to Brooklyn

Brooklyn - actually building something.

I rate Russell, I actually think they will have the Knicks covered next year.

Don’t forget this.

The spurs can just not trade him if he isn’t amicable to go somewhere else on decent terms

The Lakers have to pony up now or Kawhi loses 80M. He might not be so keen on the lakers of they let that happen. More importantly, who ever he is traded to can sign him for 49 million more than the Lakers can.

Spurs have HEAPS of leverage

That won’t be hard. I really think we will write next season off and start to see some improvement in 2020.

The thing is Ben.

It has already been leaked that Kawhi doesn’t care about the super max deal.

The longer it goes on, the less leverage the Spurs have and he’ll just walk for nothing next season.

And considering he sat out the remainder of last season and refused to play, he might just refuse to play again for the Spurs next season.

Apparently isn’t very happy with what Tony Parker said previously and I don’t blame him as Tony Parker does come across as a serious flog a lot of the time.

There is the supermax and then there is signing to the Lakers next year for 81 million less than the supermax

That makes a difference.

And you’ve got this wrong, the longer this goes on the more money he loses. Get moved soon and he can resign with a new team for 188 million, wait and walk at the end of next season and that figure drops to $139 million That is a far cry from the 219 he can sign with the spurs for now.

The spurs have approximately 80 million dollars worth of leverage the longer this goes on, it actually pays them to take their time. Holding on opens up 2 max slots in there cap.

The Lakers might have Magic and Palinka.

But RC Buford is the best GM in the NBA , good luck low balling him.

1 Like

It strikes me that Kawhi is a different cat. Apparently he still drives the same car he did before he made it to the NBA, a beat up 90s car? I seriously think money/material possession is not something he really cares about. I think it’s sad the situation. I don’t like how SAS went and aired their dirty laundry in public via Parker, etc. I guess they did feel aggrieved that Kawhi didn’t trust their medical diagnosis and sought a 2nd opinion, but maybe what happened to Isaiah in playing through injury prompted this approach. Still if you miss 70+ games you ought to be in career-threatening injury territory…

If Kawhi wants to go to the Lakers, he obviously has zero interest in winning or being competitive.

It’s coz it’s bullshit. Team Kawhi has wanted out of San Antonio since his uncle took over his affairs 2 years ago. It’s all front to make Kawhi look like the victim.

If Kawhi doesn’t care about money why did he turn down Jordan’s endorsement offer because he wanted more money?

This is the Spurs.

The Spurs don’t misdiagnose, the spurs manage player health so well guys play into their 40’s.

The best argument for why Kawhi might want out when you consider this is the first even above average player to ever ask out of San Antonio in the Popvich era was from Chris Broussard, that pops style only works with euro stars, who respect tough coaching, and David Robinson who was ex Military. Kawhi is prescious.

Look. I want him out, I don’t want him resigned. I think he is a cancer to the organisation. I just want fair compensation for him.

Manu Ginobli is the consummate professional, the definition of class, world respected. Never speaks out of turn.

If Manu calls you out, you’re of weak constitution

2 Likes

Chip Bayless said he knows the doctors that Kawhi saw and that it wasn’t even anything close to that.

Plus with IT the two teams who played him hurt was the Celtics and the Lakers, the Cavs got it right.

Yet those two teams are the ones Kawhi wants to go to.

So Kawhi will leave $80 million on the table playing at the Lakers

Plus loose half to the state of California in taxes.

Nup, his financial advisor should be fired. Pretty sure Texas has some of the lowest income tax rates

Texas has zero state tax

1 Like