NBA 2018/19 Ben Simmons is ROTY. MEGA THREAD!

Those highlights are taking the ■■■■!! Wow.

Doesn’t even need to shoot jumpers, just dunk on everyone.

1 Like

and he is improving at a crazy rate. That game was tight and he stepped up and lead the way. Huge from a rookie. Who was the last rookie to have that sort of impact?

I loved how he was constantly in Griffins ear giving him lip. Rookies probably shouldn’t do that in their first hand full of games but he just backs it up.

1 Like

LBJ

2 Likes

Shaq and Lebron’s rookie seasons are close to on par for me.
Both were causing crazy defensive headaches for the opposition and carrying their teams fortunes like very few others before them.

Question…
Has any other player had Ben Simmons foot fracture injury in the past? I thought it was a James Hird type injury but Ben is not showing any signs of it being a problem.

1 Like

I think he had a ‘Jones Fracture’ which from memory is a busted bone in the outside toe where the toe bones connect to the foot bone. Durant had one too.

The navicular injury that Hird had is further back and is notoriously difficult to treat, often career ending. I think Bartel had one as well, ditto that kid from Melbourne who is now at port

Yeh that’s awesome and all, but Lonzo Ball got 7 points today. And shot 30% from the field.

So easy to see why theres more hype.

1 Like

There isn’t much ‘hype’ around Lonzo.

In fact there has been more heavy criticism in the last three weeks.
Shaq started after a week.

Having said that…
I suppose there is no need for a guard who can score 20 points (on 46% FG) 5 rebounds and 5 assists.

2 Likes

Whats the hype like in the Melbourne media?

He should seriously be the leading sports report every night

KP was a pleasure to watch sat night, pity about the game blew out to 30 points and the starts were benched for the whole of the last quarter at least.

The Garden love him and it is quickly becoming a bit of a fortress, loud chants for ‘MVP’ when he was going off in the first half.

It’s going to a fun place this year, pity about the choke against the CAVS

2 Likes

It’s actually fun watching the knicks for a change.

Kanter has been a great addition.

2 Likes

If you call criticism hype, then yeah…
There’s been hype.

There was hype during preseason, but since around the second or third week of the season, it’s slowly turned to criticism.
As I noted, Shaq started with the criticism after his first week (and rightly so).

Stephen Smith, Michael Rapaport, Shaq, Charles Barkley and Jason Kidd have all critiqued Lonzo in the last fortnight. Mainly on the back of his Kyle Langford style of intensity.
Don’t think any media is actually praising Lonzo for what he’s doing / not doing.

Yeh Kanter has been huge.

2 Likes

Would have to be too 3 for offensive rebounds/put backs

Gets destroyed on the olde pick and roll though

I might be getting ahead of myself but I am SUPER amped for Celtics run extending to 13-0 today and having GSW visit next.

I don’t think you understand what the word hype means.

The dude’s Dad has - and continues to - use him as a vhicle to sell ■■■■, by talking him up as the second coming of Jesus meets Lebron meets MJ. Media have lapped it up, and run it word for word. The UCLA star going to the lakers, even without all the rest. Shoes, contracts, media appearances, everything. About 4000 more tweets than Simmons. Then all the promo the Lakers put out and the coverage that gets, and all of this in the LA market compared to Philly: THAT is hype.

Now hype is a part of the US sporting landscape, and always will be. But you’ve got to walk the walk, or you’ll cop what he’s copping now.
Which is a reaction to the (so far unjustified) hype.

Simmons and Ball go head to head tomorrow

1 Like

Simmons strikes me as the kind of guy who will be keen to make point.

2 Likes

Looking forward to this one