NBA 2018/19 Ben Simmons is ROTY. MEGA THREAD!

I am just putting it out there, I don’t know if it is the case but if Ben Simmons was a yank/nominating playing for them in the Olympics or Worlds, would there be any debate on whether he should be MVP?

EDIT: I MEAN ROOKIE OF THE YEAR not MVP.

Not a chance. He’s not the best player on the team.

OOPS I meant Rookie of the Year.

Are you saying that he should not be ROY or that they think he should not be because he is not the best player on his team?

1 Like

Ha yeah. I thought you were saying that Ben should be getting press for being a MVP candidate. :smiley:

I remember the David Robinson one.
I’ll have to see if I can find the footage of Hakeem’s quadruple double. I’m assuming it happened before the Admiral got his.

So did I.
He had a few monster block numbers in games (15 in one game to go with a lazy 28 boards and sub standard 24 points), but could never get his assists up high enough.

Olajuwon did it twice… in a month!

1 Like

Only once officially

via wiki on the 2nd one.

“Olajuwon was credited with 9 assists in the original box score. However, after Rockets officials reviewed the game tape and discovered what they believe was an uncredited assist in the first quarter, they revised the box score, crediting Olajuwon with 10 assists and the third quadruple-double in NBA history. NBA’s director of operations, Rod Thorn, requested to review the tape. After reviewing the tape, the league disallowed Olajuwon’s quadruple-double and announced that his original line—with 9 assists—is official.”

Hakeem was a freak. Some of the numbers he put up as a centre are crazy.

1 Like

Lebron just had 35,7,17 with 0 TO (Most assists in NBA history without a turnover).

He should definitely be in the MVP conversation.

1 Like

He’s held to a different standard than everyone else.

1 Like

Hakeem is top 3 of all time centres, along with Chamberlain and Abduljabar in my opinion.

He was just amazing in the low post.

1 Like

Leaving out Bill Russell there.

Very tough to pick best centre of all time.

1 Like

Don’t forget the admiral

Loved him. But wouldn’t have him in my top 5.

Shaq, Wilt, Hakeem, Russell and Kareem would be top 5 for me (unless I’ve missed someone).

1 Like

I would have the Madison Square Guardian in there perhaps instead of Hakeem, (others will disagree and that is ok) Patrick Ewing had great battles with Hakeem and the Admiral and used to do pretty well against Shaq when he started out. It is not like it was a case of picking on the new kid either, Shaq was a beast before his rookie year.

Those early 90s centre battles were great: Dream, Admiral, Ewing, Zo, Shaq, the Dunkin Dutchman Rick Smits, Dikembe…some epic rivalries in amongst that lot.

The Dream is the best centre I’ve seen, peak Shaq the most dominant. He was unstoppable on those Lakers teams of the early 00’s.

1 Like

Greg Ostertag

2 Likes

Dwight had a lazy 30/30 night.
I forgot he was still playing!

I loved Hakeem, I loved Wilt, I loved the Admiral, I loved Walton, I loved Kareem

But Shaq was just a monster

At his peak he was utterly unstoppable

1 Like