NBA 2018/19 Ben Simmons is ROTY. MEGA THREAD!

A great trade for us.

Now we just need another star to play alongside LeBron and AD and we are in business.

Klay would’ve been perfect but he is out for all of next season.

I have a feeling it will be Jimmy Butler but dysfunction seems to follow wherever he goes. (Although you could argue we already have that in spades).

Or maybe we throw our hat in the ring for Kyrie.

Either way we need star power in the backcourt.

Josh Hart is an average perimeter shooter at best.

One thing he was amazing at however was finishing through contact when driving. Refs hate him though.

Kemba Walker might be a good option. Khris Middleton is not an absolute superstar but he is an All-Star calibre player, can defend and shoot the 3 ball. I know he is a FA this year, but has he already signed on with the Bucks?

Still a FA for the time being but he fits in so well in the Buck’s system I would be surprised if they just let him walk.

Yeah, Kemba is all the talk now that AD has arrived in LA.

I would be happy with Kemba as he is a great guard.

I will be interested to see who else we pick up to compliment these stars.

Perimeter shooting needs to be a non-negotiable.

Don’t understand how AD thinks this is going to work. LBJ has maybe two seasons left and he’s definitely not prime LeBron. He has NEVER made a big man look good his whole career. Chris Bosh and Kevin Love were reduced to bit parts players in his teams. AD is going to have to get real comfortable with the corner three and with running pick and rolls.

The rest of the roster outside of Kuzma is trash. The culture is trash. The leadership is trash and they have a second choice coach.

Maybe they can get Kemba and add some extra shooting talent in the FA market but how are they going to get all the parts to gel when you’ve got the Pelinka and Buss show?

3 Likes

I wonder if Kemba will be willing to leave for a tilt at a championship?
He has been the man in Charlotte for a long time.

Is someone jealous? :joy:

You do realise that players are powerless in trade dealings for the most part in the NBA, right?

The Pelicans could have sent him to the Flint Michigan Tropics for a washing machine and he would have to go there. It was rumoured that he wanted to come to LA but for all we know he could’ve been happy to just get out of NO and the Pelicans just took the best deal offered to them right now to save this dragging on and turning into another circus just like the trade deadline did.

It is smart by them to get this out of the way before FA so they can focus on filling out the rest of their roster.

The Pelicans have just accepted what they thought was the best deal which was significantly less than what was offered at the trade deadline for AD.

And let’s be honest, would you really class Chris Bosh and Kevin Love in the same ball park as AD? AD is arguably the most talented big man the game has had since Shaq retired.

It might not be all about the basketball for him either. LA will guarantee him all the endorsements and after BBall ventures that he could ever dream of.

Reports are that he’s prepared to accept less than the max to remain in Charlotte so they can put a team around him. That’s really good but who will want to go there? Depends, he might be happy to be a one franchise player rather than someone who went to ride on the coattails of LeBron/AD to get a ring. The role players they put around LBJ/AD and a potential 3rd star will determine how they go, and as @andrewb said, the pieces have to fit. The point about K-Love and Bosh is a fair one, they were relegated to spot-up shooters, but they were both 3rd options. AD is the #2 so he shouldn’t have to sacrifice his game to that extent. But the West is now wide open with the injuries to KD and Klay wiping them out for next season. KD might leave altogether.

Look forward to 6 months from Now when you call the front office to be sacked for this trade.

1 Like

Tim Duncan says hello, far better player than AD and you could argue on par with Shaq.

Would love to see kemba play for a good team.

The only call I’ll make in 6 months time will be for the Buss family to sell the franchise because they don’t deserve it and the biggest reason for our issues at present.

Pelinka I can take or leave but he has played a part in getting LeBron and AD.

2 Likes

Geeezus
Good trade for New Orleans

Also, someone got onto the Pelicans Wiki page pretty quickly:

5 Likes

Fortunately, seems pretty committed to Charlotte. Trouble is, there’s so much overpaid rubbish on the team that it’s near impossible to put anything good around him.

So would I…just wish it was Charlotte…:sweat:

1 Like

Maybe the attraction for AD is not just getting to play alongside LBJ but that he will now be LA which is a much better place to develop his “brand” than New Orleans.

I think @andrewb is spot on when he talks about the issues still in play. Can The Lakers attract enough quality support to fill out the huge gaps in their roster?

The talk of a third star is interesting, especially if they cripple themselves cap wise to get that third person.

The Raptors have just shown that a team can win without going overboard with all stars.

The Lakers should now be spending more time getting those support pieces in pace if they want to seriously contend next year. (imo)

They had cap room to get AD (moving some contracts out of there was enough to create space) and sign a big name Free Agent. Now they have AD that makes them far more attractive to any decent FA than LeBron + young players + cast-offs. They just have to be smart. If they did a better job of filling the roster last season then they might already have some of the support cast in place, but they don’t. Given LeBron will have the ball you don’t really need a genuine PG, unless it’s a guy like Kyrie, who knows what it’s like to play with LBJ, or someone who can play off the ball and shot like Kemba. They’d be the best fits at the point.

1 Like

I’m not sure where Kuzma plays though. AD can play centre or power forward. Lebron the forward. Can Kuzma play guard? Can he find his spot with Kemba?

In all honesty, the Lakers don’t need to make a big play for a third star.

A fully fit Lebron and AD is a great start given the Warriors are without Klay and KD. The West is wide open next year and I hope for the first time in a long time, there is genuine belief from 6 or 7 teams who think they can make the Finals.

The Lakers do need shooters. I wish we kept Svi. He could have developed into the perfect shooter for Lebron.
Also, will three point shooting still be as heavily reliable? Maybe with half of the splash brothers injured, there will be a change in NBA to a more conservative offensive scoring approach.

For the first time in a long time, there will be genuine interest in the NBA going into a season. Hopefully another big 3 (or 4) isn’t scheming elsewhere.

2 Likes

I don’t particularly like the trade. AD is a great player but I tihnk Lonzo and BI were going to be good to great players too, obviously different positions, I liked Josh Hart and I get that none of them were probably going to be absolutely top notch players in the league but I think we paid too much. I get that you can’t teach height and all that stuff, but (unfortunately it seems) big, dominant centres have kind of been small balled out of the game to some extent. Of course there is always a place for some of them.

Glad we kept Kuz he will have to play the 3 I doubt he can play PG or OG.

2 Likes