New Blitz Thread

Carlisle thread is fooked now. April 2014 posts showing.

Liked the post in protest of taking my muppetry away from me

****!

Actually I think I know what caused thisā€¦

Yeah so I installed this super-fancy Cache tool and it was caching final-posts.

Whacky!

#cachebyriolio

Are you hitting the database size limit? Could be MySQL.

Well if its your SQL, YOU fix it.

Well if its your SQL, YOU fix it.

Rofl. Very good.

Are you hitting the database size limit? Could be MySQL.

Nope.

Did you try rebooting it Rolo.

Alternatively try Googling the problem.

It was actually the first thing I tried.

Several times.

step 1. reboot.
step 2. step 1 didnā€™t work, so turn off for 10 minutes and turn on again
step 3. step 2 didnā€™t work, so give up.

It was actually the first thing I tried.

Several times.

Well itā€™s got me fkd then,ā€¦ good luckā€¦ :slight_smile:

I might be up the wrong tree here, but is it the case that old old blitz, - ( the fancy neat looking one with the u beaut editor and like notifā€™s in the top left cnr that said XXX liked a POST YOU MADE in XXXX thread, - Is there a name to call it?), - that broke under the original saga strain & forced the migration, only broke because of the server situation at the time, eg: free & unreliable/not large enough?

Then after the shift to ā€œoldā€ blitz (just prior to vanilla - does it have a name we could give it too?) - that server worry which still haunted us, was resolved through donations etc??

If so, is it now possible, that ol ol blitz, that everyone loved & pines for, is now a viable option again?(albeit another pain to shift again)

Like I said, I might not remember it all correctly, but I really hope itā€™s the case. (loved that editor, you could really add fun & character to the posts).

old old blitz was a hack together of patch after patch after patch which caused an unstable environment that no server could sustain?

step 1. reboot. step 2. step 1 didn't work, so turn off for 10 minutes and turn on again step 3. step 2 didn't work, so give up.

I am always option 1

Has the ā– ā– ā– ā–  finished downloading yet?

Old old old Blitz was a cracked version of forum software called Invision Power Board. Because it was cracked we couldnā€™t update it and it was SUPER old.

But it was rock solid, until the Saga hit and the old $10/month hosting didnā€™t cut it. Blitz crashed so hard it corrupted the database. Prompting a move to new software.

In the interest of time and the hope we could at least rescue the user table I got a licence for the latest version of IPB and brute forced the user table into it. Which wasnā€™t supported but hey it worked.

New IPB was a server hog though and although I kept giving it more resources it kept crashing. Problem with IPB was when it crashed it crashed all the way. I had to repair the database each time it happened.

The crashing got worse and worse so we moved to Vanilla. Since I feared it may crash so hard weā€™d lose all the content again.

Vanilla, while lacking some features from IPB, has been MUCH more stable. When it gets hammered it tends to slow down, instead of corrupting.

The only major problem weā€™ve had is since installing the new Like button, which is an additional Application layered on top of Vanilla. (I believe this has also been the root cause of the connection issues that began to plague the site. The time-warp stuff can be blamed on a server side caching tool I installed to try and ease the burden on the DB.)

It turns out the current version of this Application is really resource intensive. Thereā€™s a slightly updated version I can install, and an apparently much better version coming soon.

I could continue to throw more resources at the server but weā€™re getting close to paying as much for hosting as we get from Google as revenue. Also the server upgrade we attempted the other week that wouldā€™ve put Blitz on SSDā€™s never actually happened. I want to get this done at some point soon too. Maybe in the off season instead.

Anyway. Thatā€™s the story so far.