New Board

This current board has presided over the worst AFL penalties and disgrace to our club, I think we need a new board a fresh slate and as supporters and members we deserve this, our club deserves this.

I would love to see Sheeds back as our Chairman,

Your thoughts? 

No to Sheeds but everything else would be tops.

Nope

No way

LOL.

No.

Ohhhhh… Yeah nah

Are you not happy this crap is over with ? I mean yeah we lose some draft picks , our coach temporarily , and some $$ , but no real long term damage. If we all buy a $200 raffle ticket we will be set.

I loved the guy when he was with us but it's time to move on...not backward.

As for a new board, no, I think our current one will head us in the right direction, the last thing we need to give the media atm is any more fodder for their rags.

Do it! lol.

it's a weekend, school hasn't gone back yet...

Not just the Boards fault though, is it? So clear out everyone?

Very compelling

Is that the sounds of a bottom drawer opening & an old "Save Essendon" membership being dusted off??

Seriously, Sheeds was a wonderful coach in his time, but he was a football person & a great ideas man. A few ideas were great, some not so great, some madness.

If you're seriously not taking the ■■■■ . . . . go off & read Tim Watsons book on the great man . . . . .& then get back to me.

Is that the sounds of a bottom drawer opening & an old "Save Essendon" membership being dusted off?? Seriously, Sheeds was a wonderful coach in his time, but he was a football person & a great ideas man. A few ideas were great, some not so great, some madness. If you're seriously not taking the ■■■■ . . . . go off & read Tim Watsons book on the great man . . . . .& then get back to me.

I'm very serious about a new board, the current board is stagnant.
And I truly believe things should have been dealt with differently.
Do you think the same outcome would've occurred at Collingwood?

Is that the sounds of a bottom drawer opening & an old "Save Essendon" membership being dusted off?? Seriously, Sheeds was a wonderful coach in his time, but he was a football person & a great ideas man. A few ideas were great, some not so great, some madness. If you're seriously not taking the ■■■■ . . . . go off & read Tim Watsons book on the great man . . . . .& then get back to me.

I'm very serious about a new board, the current board is stagnant.
And I truly believe things should have been dealt with differently.
Do you think the same outcome would've occurred at Collingwood?

Not sure on a new board however I wouldn't mind seeing a Geelong-like review of everything about the club. 

If our administrative issues have now been addressed as a result of the Ziggy report, maybe it is worth looking at every facet of our club forensically to determine what we are doing, benchmark against the best and then maybe we can realistically work out where we need to change/improve.

The most disappointing comment of the last 6 months for me was Bomber saying that 'we are not a good club' and that is from a guy who has been there for 3 years now.

If this whole thing doesn't force us to make the right sort of changes, nothing will. 

Edit: I might be confused but I think we may have even supposedly done this at some point in the last 3 years?

[quote name=“Rhino-D” post=“41714” timestamp=“1378632788”][quote name=“rustywells” post=“41698” timestamp=“1378632007”]

The most disappointing comment of the last 6 months for me was Bomber saying that ‘we are not a good club’ and that is from a guy who has been there for 3 years now.

[/quote]
Didn’t Thompson say we weren’t a good club when he arrived, which is to say we were a long way back when he and Hird started and that people like Robinson and Dank weren’t managed well as a result. ie: processes and back up wasn’t there.

I think we all need to take a deep breath. Yes it has been a difficult period, but if what I believe to be true, is true, then the board have done ok by us. Lets us be patient and supportive. I don’t see another choice.

I’m not into this “sack the board” business but the question I’d like answered is, were the coaching staff given appropriate health and safety training prior to the 2011/2012 seasons? If not, why is Hird being held accountable for issues relating to duty of care while the board and the now departed management hide behind vague terms such as “governance failures” and “lack of proper processes”?

CAN WE NOT DO THIS AGAIN

Grant Thomas for chairman.

Warning: Long post ahead. But I think it's pertinent to this thread. I'm not advocating one way or the other (because I am a fence sitter) and not trying to stir up the ASADA stuff again, but there are some interesting points re: the current board, and their level of responsibility over the matter.

* I think Hird and Corcoran were silly to accept such ‘sanctions‘ considering how far down the chain they were in the poor governance ‘culpability
stakes‘. The AFL Commissioners and the Essendon Board were far more culpable than Hird in failing to provide a safe work place, and consequently, they should have been in ‘the dock‘

* Hird wasn‘t lucky. The AFL and Essendon were lucky that the sycophantic media only pursued one side of the story. The AFL and the Essendon board should have been investigated.

* The AFL and Essendon were extremely lucky that Hird foolishly capitulated to a request from Essendon chairman, Paul Little, to sacrifice his reputation for Essendon, and abandon his Supreme Court action. My mentor, whose record suggests she is one of the top experts in this field, advises that the AFL and Essendon would have been smashed in the Supreme Court
* Essendon‘s organisation chart indicated it had a board of directors, a chief executive and a football manager above Hird. In the Occupational Health and Safety stakes (legal responsibilities), which at this point in time is all the attacks on Hird should be about, Hird is a lowly foreman or site manager.

* The first responsibility of a footy organisation (Essendon) is to ensure it provides a safe work place. I don‘t think I have enough fingers and toes to count how many times the Essendon board breached the OH&S Act.
* The Essendon Board had a duty of care to ensure it had adequate procedures in place with regular reporting protocols to ensure compliance, it failed to do so. It‘s inconceivable that the board didn‘t even get a rap over the knuckles from Switkowski.

These are quotes from some of the Bruce Francis letters. If you haven't read them, I suggest you do. Francis has made some very strong rebuttals against Wilson, Tim Lane, and David Koch that are well worth a read. He was a political science graduate and worked with Kerry Packer in organising World Series Cricket. He still does quite a bit of OHS consulting work in the private sector I believe.
http://windyhillfour.com/media/the-bruce-francis-letters/