New Board

I'm not here to start anything or be a smart ■■■■, I'm just concerned that the club is in dire straits, we have no CEO, No President, No Coach and we are 7 million dollars in debt and limited draft picks.

Lets stick our head in the sand like we did when Jackson was there and he bought Knights into club.

The board are no closer to making any decisions, there is no direction.

We need to get the right people at the club.

If people on this forum really love the club and what it to be successful again, now is the time to stand up.

I will not say anymore

Is that the sounds of a bottom drawer opening & an old "Save Essendon" membership being dusted off?? Seriously, Sheeds was a wonderful coach in his time, but he was a football person & a great ideas man. A few ideas were great, some not so great, some madness. If you're seriously not taking the ■■■■ . . . . go off & read Tim Watsons book on the great man . . . . .& then get back to me.

I'm very serious about a new board, the current board is stagnant.
And I truly believe things should have been dealt with differently.
Do you think the same outcome would've occurred at Collingwood?

Not sure on a new board however I wouldn't mind seeing a Geelong-like review of everything about the club. 

If our administrative issues have now been addressed as a result of the Ziggy report, maybe it is worth looking at every facet of our club forensically to determine what we are doing, benchmark against the best and then maybe we can realistically work out where we need to change/improve.

The most disappointing comment of the last 6 months for me was Bomber saying that 'we are not a good club' and that is from a guy who has been there for 3 years now.

If this whole thing doesn't force us to make the right sort of changes, nothing will. 

Edit: I might be confused but I think we may have even supposedly done this at some point in the last 3 years?

Just on Bomber, he is never at the club.

Warning: Long post ahead. But I think it's pertinent to this thread. I'm not advocating one way or the other (because I am a fence sitter) and not trying to stir up the ASADA stuff again, but there are some interesting points re: the current board, and their level of responsibility over the matter.

* I think Hird and Corcoran were silly to accept such ‘sanctions‘ considering how far down the chain they were in the poor governance ‘culpability
stakes‘. The AFL Commissioners and the Essendon Board were far more culpable than Hird in failing to provide a safe work place, and consequently, they should have been in ‘the dock‘

* Hird wasn‘t lucky. The AFL and Essendon were lucky that the sycophantic media only pursued one side of the story. The AFL and the Essendon board should have been investigated.

* The AFL and Essendon were extremely lucky that Hird foolishly capitulated to a request from Essendon chairman, Paul Little, to sacrifice his reputation for Essendon, and abandon his Supreme Court action. My mentor, whose record suggests she is one of the top experts in this field, advises that the AFL and Essendon would have been smashed in the Supreme Court
* Essendon‘s organisation chart indicated it had a board of directors, a chief executive and a football manager above Hird. In the Occupational Health and Safety stakes (legal responsibilities), which at this point in time is all the attacks on Hird should be about, Hird is a lowly foreman or site manager.

* The first responsibility of a footy organisation (Essendon) is to ensure it provides a safe work place. I don‘t think I have enough fingers and toes to count how many times the Essendon board breached the OH&S Act.
* The Essendon Board had a duty of care to ensure it had adequate procedures in place with regular reporting protocols to ensure compliance, it failed to do so. It‘s inconceivable that the board didn‘t even get a rap over the knuckles from Switkowski.

These are quotes from some of the Bruce Francis letters. If you haven't read them, I suggest you do. Francis has made some very strong rebuttals against Wilson, Tim Lane, and David Koch that are well worth a read. He was a political science graduate and worked with Kerry Packer in organising World Series Cricket. He still does quite a bit of OHS consulting work in the private sector I believe.
http://windyhillfour.com/media/the-bruce-francis-letters/

Eddie McGuire would not let this happen at Collingwood, our Board have done nothing to stick up for Hird, he is being trash talked and the club are just letting it happen.  They have left him out to dry.

This thread is embarrassing. No other board in the league would have got us through the season the way ours did.
Embarrassing.

Yeah right this is a Board who hired Switskowski.  He wrote a report that sunk us and he cost us the biggest penalties in the history of the AFL....smart Board.

That's embarrassing.

This thread is embarrassing. No other board in the league would have got us through the season the way ours did.
Embarrassing.

Yes, but the Devil's Adovate response to that is that no other Club's Board let their club get into the position in the first place. As an academic exercise it is interesting the we were punished for bad 'governance' yet it was our managers that were penalised not those responsible for governance i.e the Board.

However I don't agree with the OP. Apart from this one issue, the many other facets of the Club seem to be going well. And Sheedy as President...oh please.

Bomba did describe the management of the club as the poorest he's ever seen, so there are definitely aspects that need to be fixed; however the board definitely doesn't need to be sacked, especially if Sheedy was to replace. Better care must be taken with regards to hiring future employees, but no need to get rid of everyone.

This current board has presided over the worst AFL penalties and disgrace to our club, I think we need a new board a fresh slate and as supporters and members we deserve this, our club deserves this.

I would love to see Sheeds back as our Chairman,

Your thoughts? 

The first thing you need to learn about Essendon is that no-one ever challenges, let alone upsets the status quo. Everyone always has blind faith in the board, whatever the evidence to the contrary. Any changes to the Presidency or Board happen by the tap-on-the-shoulder in the boys' club.

I advise that if you try to advocate anything else, you would have less pain moving a brick wall a meter back by head-butting it.

I thought this was referring to the new forum.

I thought this was referring to the new forum.

bummerblitz

SHAVE SHEDDY

BRING BACK PATRICK SMITH

Warning: Long post ahead. But I think it's pertinent to this thread. I'm not advocating one way or the other (because I am a fence sitter) and not trying to stir up the ASADA stuff again, but there are some interesting points re: the current board, and their level of responsibility over the matter.

* I think Hird and Corcoran were silly to accept such ‘sanctions‘ considering how far down the chain they were in the poor governance ‘culpability
stakes‘. The AFL Commissioners and the Essendon Board were far more culpable than Hird in failing to provide a safe work place, and consequently, they should have been in ‘the dock‘

* Hird wasn‘t lucky. The AFL and Essendon were lucky that the sycophantic media only pursued one side of the story. The AFL and the Essendon board should have been investigated.

* The AFL and Essendon were extremely lucky that Hird foolishly capitulated to a request from Essendon chairman, Paul Little, to sacrifice his reputation for Essendon, and abandon his Supreme Court action. My mentor, whose record suggests she is one of the top experts in this field, advises that the AFL and Essendon would have been smashed in the Supreme Court
* Essendon‘s organisation chart indicated it had a board of directors, a chief executive and a football manager above Hird. In the Occupational Health and Safety stakes (legal responsibilities), which at this point in time is all the attacks on Hird should be about, Hird is a lowly foreman or site manager.

* The first responsibility of a footy organisation (Essendon) is to ensure it provides a safe work place. I don‘t think I have enough fingers and toes to count how many times the Essendon board breached the OH&S Act.
* The Essendon Board had a duty of care to ensure it had adequate procedures in place with regular reporting protocols to ensure compliance, it failed to do so. It‘s inconceivable that the board didn‘t even get a rap over the knuckles from Switkowski.

These are quotes from some of the Bruce Francis letters. If you haven't read them, I suggest you do. Francis has made some very strong rebuttals against Wilson, Tim Lane, and David Koch that are well worth a read. He was a political science graduate and worked with Kerry Packer in organising World Series Cricket. He still does quite a bit of OHS consulting work in the private sector I believe.
http://windyhillfour.com/media/the-bruce-francis-letters/

Eddie McGuire would not let this happen at Collingwood, our Board have done nothing to stick up for Hird, he is being trash talked and the club are just letting it happen.  They have left him out to dry.

I can't agree with this. The guys who have been elected to run our club are astute businessmen who bleed red and black and would have done everything in their power to help us achieve the best possible outcome. Without knowing exactly what was said behind closed doors, and no, cerberus doesn't count, its impossible to state that "eddie" would have done a better job. I'll bet dollars to donuts he wouldn't risk  expulsion from the comp just to say he had stood up to the AFL and nor should we. Sure nobody likes being bullied and I'm pretty sure Paul Little hasn't taken what happened too lightly but it is what it is. Now is not the time to start divison within the ranks nor is it time for any sort of retribution or blame towards members of our administration. We need to pull together, lick our wounds and regroup for next year.

I just hope RustyWells reputation can recover from this.

The board are volunteers, yes?

Work experience kids.

Sheedy as a chairman?! I've heard it all on hear now. Why not go after Costello as well...

The board are volunteers, yes?

yes they are .

,The current  board are trying to make up for how far we fell off the pace by building the new facility at tullamarine.

vanders called into to see bomber when he was coach at geelong and could not believe what a wonderful facility the cats had built whilst we stood still for 10 years..

These are quotes from some of the Bruce Francis letters. If you haven't read them, I suggest you do. Francis has made some very strong rebuttals against Wilson, Tim Lane, and David Koch that are well worth a read. He was a political science graduate and worked with Kerry Packer in organising World Series Cricket. He still does quite a bit of OHS consulting work in the private sector I believe.http://windyhillfour.com/media/the-bruce-francis-letters/

I can't agree with this. The guys who have been elected to run our club are astute businessmen who bleed red and black and would have done everything in their power to help us achieve the best possible outcome. Without knowing exactly what was said behind closed doors, and no, cerberus doesn't count, its impossible to state that "eddie" would have done a better job. I'll bet dollars to donuts he wouldn't risk  expulsion from the comp just to say he had stood up to the AFL and nor should we. Sure nobody likes being bullied and I'm pretty sure Paul Little hasn't taken what happened too lightly but it is what it is. Now is not the time to start divison within the ranks nor is it time for any sort of retribution or blame towards members of our administration. We need to pull together, lick our wounds and regroup for next year.

I think the club severely lacked anything like an incident or crisis management plan, which personally I find astonishing. The fact that there were allegedly a pr person suggesting that Hird resign is ludicrous. Some of that responsibility must sheet home to the board. There is no question.
Does that require any more renewal of th board thn what should happen anyway, I don't know. I am surprised that some of them haven' t fallen on their swords, they are not squeaky clean.
As for Sheedy on the board. No.

Bomba said the club was a shambles went he got there. I hope the afl did there due diligence on Jackson when they employed him at Melbourne .

Sheedy as a chairman?! I've heard it all on hear now. Why not go after Costello as well...

Why not Kevin? Windy Hill Kevin has a bit of a ring to it....

I think we all need to take a deep breath. Yes it has been a difficult period, but if what I believe to be true, is true, then the board have done ok by us. Lets us be patient and supportive. I don't see another choice.

What do you believe to be true?
To the OP
If we were to replace the board
Who would you replace them with and what would you expect them to do differently. Very hard to make these calls not knowing what exactly went down behind closed doors and the emotional stress people at our club encountered.