CEO - Xavier "Drive Purposeful Innovation" Campbell — well… bye!

GM of Football announcement must be relatively close although may be delayed if the successful candidate is involved in the draft process with a rival.

Believe X met with a number of people before he departed and assume that process has continued since he returned.

It also had organisms or someshit living/growing in it.

My point is that it’s not wrong as long as people are controlled or educated. Based on your example, I shouldn’t be allowed to eat peanut butter, because others might be allergic to it…oh wait, that’s already happened!

2 Likes

Try working with children…! :roll_eyes:

People are reactionary and also want to support the latest ‘cool thing’. - Will be no surprise if in another ten years, people will ‘jump up and down’ about another source of revenue, that allegedly fails to meet community standards.

2 Likes

50/50 Win/Loss for Members Special

Not as close as I hoped but prior to Christmas according to x.

Lethelan being linked in media circles…

4 Likes

Could be time for shorter AFL games: Dons CEO

Ben Guthrie

TRIMMING the lengths of games and quarters is something the AFL should seriously explore, Essendon CEO Xavier Campbell says.

AFL games run for close to two-and-a-half hours with quarters spanning 20 minutes, plus time on.

There are six minutes in between the quarter and three-quarter time breaks and 20 minutes at half-time.

Consumer trends are showing that shorter games are being better received by the public, according to Campbell, and he said it was important to challenge the norms.

“For us, I think there are opportunities to challenge traditional thinking and a lot of that probably goes to the heart of the length of the game and how the season looks,” Campbell told Fairfax Media.

"Although our attendance numbers are probably saying we’re still increasing attendance-wise, … I think now’s the time to look at what we think potential change could look like in that space.

“And I think the AFL would be open to what that looks like.”

Campbell said the AFLX tournament, which consisted of a modified version of the game, had a lot of merit, particularly with the fast-paced nature of the game appealing to AFL novices.

Campbell was among the AFL club officials who recently attended the Super Bowl in Minnesota and said he took some key learnings out of the event.

He said 15-minute quarters plus time-on was about the right formula, but was at pains to say that the existing schedule was not broken.

“Is there other ways to add more value at front and end of the game for fans, for broadcast?” Campbell said.

“It’s all different thinking, I’m not necessarily saying it’s right or wrong, but it’s a good time to challenge the way we consume our game and the way we present our game.”

From the other thread

7 Likes

We do not need our game Americanized. Worst idea ever.

5 Likes

There’s this thing called VFL…

10 Likes

They’d save some time if the umpires weren’t waiting for the light to flash to bounce the ball as channel 7 wrap up their commercials.

If the players take a pay cut and membership costs are slashed I’d be happy with it but that ain’t going to happen

1 Like

I’m going to put this up there with the Fairfax Employee appointment, and ex-AFL players association appointment as some of the worst ideas Xavier has had.

Leave the game the ■■■■ alone. Not everything needs to be managed / changed / reviewed.

4 Likes

Catherine, yank his chain will you?

2 Likes

Just what we need a swans fan telling ud what to do.

Even Swans fans make the right call sometimes.

Idk I think I’m reading s different article. There’s a lot of Mays and coulds. Almost like he answered a question…

1 Like

Further I don’t think I’ve heard X commit to anything unless it’s an official club announcement. Very guarded in what he says. Answers dumb questions as if they have merit then doesn’t really say whether he’s for or against it.