New coach

This may be too soon. I’m huge Hird fan and disappointed that this has happened. They should have waited till next year and done it halfway through next year if the results were the same.

But whats done is done and it looks like we cant change it. Time to move on. We need to find a new coach. Hopefully his credentials will not just be that he is a former a Essendon player.

I won’t quote HAP, as it would be getting too long a post.

But, how do you know about his lack of any action whatsoever? Do you know that he did absolutely nothing? And even still, what exactly should he have done? Put his starting midfield in rehab?

Fwiw I think he knew, I don’t know how he couldn’t of. But for me, players personal lives are exactly that. They are adults, and can do whatever the fark they want to themselves in their own time, as long as it didn’t affect their game. And clearly, it didn’t.

You seem to have a moral issue with illicit drugs which is fine, I don’t. So I guess on that particular issue, we’ll never agree, which is also fine.

As to whether Worsfold is the right fit for us… I’m still not sure, but I also feel the players don’t necessarily need a coach who will support them and fight for them on the saga… They need a coach who is just focused on footy.

Ever heard him speak? I think it is fair to say communication is not his strength. Not sure he is the coach we need at the moment.

You’re thinking about it far too logically.

LOOK AT HIS MAGNIFICENT HAIR!

Doesn’t make up for keeping his mouth shut while talking. A trait shared by Simon black.

Have no idea why the club don’t just say we are open for confidential expressions of interest.
And go from there.

Don't want dew anywhere near efc after the way he sledged rama after coming back from cancer.

■■■■ him

Thought that was Montgomery
What would people say if Hardwick's management had been approached?

Don’t like it.

Also sends a “we stuffed up 9 years ago” message.

I’m in the “best new young coach” camp.

Surely there's room in TRB for Rioli too.

No room love for Longy?

Why would Hardwick, a guy we knocked back in favour of Knights leave a team he has built over 7 years come back?

■■■■■■ hell we still don’t get how this works

If what Sunbury is suggesting is actually true…

CLUB IS ■■■■■■.

Has anyone mentioned Sumich?

What are people’s thoughts on Ratten?

That he’s not as good as Sumich?

One of the guys Knights beat for the job, versus a guy Knights regularly out coached?

Vanilla times ahead.

I am surprised that Worsfold wants to coach again but hes such a ruthless man and has the score on the board i would appoint him without a process in place .

What i am saying is hes head and shoulders above anyone else.

As long as the decision panel are 100% sure he has a passion to coach us hes the only one i would appoint without the due process of interviewing other potential candidates.

Only blitz could absolve james hird of any responsibility for players health and well-being and then criticize john worsfold for the same thing
Lemme know how many kids are under police guard in ED while they're on AOD, or threaten to torch someone's house over a debt owing from some Colostrum, or die in a ditch after a particularly good session on the vitamins and get back to me??

There are drugs, and there are drugs.

Many of the WCE boys are, or have been, into very bad, dangerous substances; and that connected them to very bad, dangerous people. Many of them will suffer severe health consequences, 5 or 6 now have been in trouble with the law, quite likely a lot of them will die much younger than they need to.

I’m with Digs, I can’t possible believe he did his utmost to find out, to help them, to take care of them. He either knew and didn’t act, or didn’t want to know. Both are unforgivable.

I missed the part where Worsfold and the club set up a safe injecting room, and introduced the players to hard drugs.

I’m with EVS, you can’t totally absolve James Hird for a programme that was implemented at the club and that he was fully aware of, and then turn around and torch Woosha for things done off club time.

People have been hiding their drug issues from their employer since the dawn of time.

Who has absolved Hird of all responsibility? He's accepted responsibility for the part he played and copped a year off, a smashed reputation and (eventually) his job for that part.

Worsfold knows how the system “works”. Deny everything (McKenna, the Dees, Manly & the cats denied all) take no responsibility, and she’ll be apples.

Regardless, the situation we’re in for next year is that that has happened and it’s still happening.

Player welfare has to play a fair part in that decision. Big part of Hird surviving as long as he did was his actions after the Dank program - the players felt he was in their corner, and would fight for them (when few others would). I’m not sure Worsfold is the right fit there.

As for “hiding stuff from your employer”. For a 9 to 5… sure
Footy is slightly different.
For 30+ weeks of the year you live in each other’s pockets, 6 days a week. Coaches and players regularly travel together. You have to be aware when your employees have to ■■■■ in a pot FFS. And you’re required to take an acute interest in the players’ bodies & general health. It is far from a “normal” job. It is, IMHO, a crap comparison almost every situation its used in.

I simply don’t find it credible that he didn’t know. Maybe you can believe it. Maybe you don’t care. I do.
And I find the lack of any action whatsoever unconscionable.

Had Hird done what he did - denied everything, or taken zero responsibility - he should’ve been shot from a cannon.

Only blitz could absolve james hird of any responsibility for players health and well-being and then criticize john worsfold for the same thing
Despite Hird himself acknowledging he shared some level of responsibility.
Has anyone mentioned Sumich?

What are people’s thoughts on Ratten?

That he’s not as good as Sumich?

Worsfold hasn't left a great legacy at Eagles see Cousins, Kerr, Fletcher and chick. And probably a few more.

Really?

Ask Adam Simpson; I bet he disagrees.

Look at the Eagles now; little change to the list Worsfold left behind. It’s just a better run with injuries (they had a bad run in Worsfold’s last year) and their younger stars have become more experienced and better players (what you’d call natural progression): Kennedy, Masten , Naitinui, Cripps + their older players still can play: Le Cras, Schofield, Hill.

About their only significant addition has been Yeo from Brisbane with the natural retirement of Cox & Glass occurring as it should.

Worsfold left a good list behind and Adam Simpson is maximising that to the hilt. He has lost two tall defenders but, most importantly, the entire midfield is in tact and Naitinui is fulfilling his #2 draft pick promise.

I reckon Worsfold left a decent legacy behind.

His game plan was “put Cuz/Judd/Kerr/Cox on ball and run the ■■■■ off the other side”.
When they dropped off, broke down, or went into rehab, he did nothing. A wooden spoon, a 2nd bottom, and a slight bounce up before heading back down again. Since the flag he only won 2 finals (from 4 finals campaigns) in his last 7 seasons.

To me that’s not a guru coach. That’s a guy who could coach a pretty good list into a pretty good side (IMHO 05/06 were the weakest years in a long time) - see C Scott, see Walls, Craig, Ayres, half a dozen others. That’s not a guy who built a dynasty, or showed he could rebuild. And that with the “lucky” WCE home umpiring, and the AFL “not knowing” anything about half his list being off their ■■■■ most of the time.
It goes without saying he won’t have that run with us. It goes without saying that those questions, however relevant they actually are, can and will be brought up and used against him. It goes without saying that WCE’s ownership structure provided an independence from the AFL that let them effectively tell the ■■■■■■■ where to go, and that we do not have that.

I’d lean far more towards a new face. Far more successful coaches (as I posted a while back, literally only Lethal, Parkin and Mick since the 1980s) are first timers, not retreads.

He’s not the worst possible candidate but I’d not be shattered to miss him.

And how many GFs collectively did those retreads make? Compared to the number the new guys made, as a proportion of GFs to coaches, I think the retreads win handily.

Can't put my finger on why, but Scott Burns appears to fit the bill. Relatively short time since his playing days has spent time at a couple of clubs. Looks like a hard ■■■■ which may be good? Would like to know people's thoughts on him.

Even when a player, he seemed to have a sharp mind withrrspect to the game (when interviewed)

Eegs.

Can't put my finger on why, but Scott Burns appears to fit the bill. Relatively short time since his playing days has spent time at a couple of clubs. Looks like a hard ■■■■ which may be good? Would like to know people's thoughts on him.
Id love Burnsy to get the gig if only for the fact he was my high school footy skipper and school mate. He is a top bloke, even after all those years at Collingwood he still is a good country boy at heart and very level headed
Ever heard him speak? I think it is fair to say communication is not his strength. Not sure he is the coach we need at the moment.

You’re thinking about it far too logically.

LOOK AT HIS MAGNIFICENT HAIR!

That’s not hair. That’s a fucken helmet.

“I think their list is much better than they have been performing, I think they’ve got a pretty good spine ... any of the powerful Melbourne clubs they tend to regenerate, even if they’re down for a period they seem to bounce back,” he said.

essendon_ladder_position_2005-2015.jpg

I will tell you all who will coach essendon NEIL " I'LL STAB YOU IN THE BACK" CRAIG.

It started yesterday…

I don’t get it.

Getting one thing right has gone to someone’s head.

The thing he got right wasn’t totally right by the way I have about 15 sources on that after yesterday either Hird did most certainly resign

This. The guy certainly has a source but comes with some heavy biasing.

So do you.