New coach

“Initially, I’ll say it’s hard for an outsider because they’re such a powerful club, the premiership champions behind the scenes, the coteries, it wouldn’t be easy for a person outside the Essendon family, I think, to coach them.”

I’m going to act like that’s not true because, if it is, bleargh.

Has anyone mentioned Sumich?

What are people’s thoughts on Ratten?

Jeez, how good would it be to have Ratten coach us to a flag? That would be the best flag of all time.*

*excuse the fantasy.

It’s not the head coaches job to come in and change the culture and personnel of the whole football department. Surely that’s the role of the head of football department, and the CEO.

The head coaches role is to coach the team. So I just don’t buy the whole ‘need someone from outside the club’ theory.
We need the best coach, regardless of who or where he is from.

Offer Nat Fyfe 2mil a year to be playing coach.

Wasn’t Worsfold sat down on day 1 by the same players who saw off Judge and told “what we do in our own time is none of your concern” or is that just an urban legend?

My initial reaction to the thought of him coaching us was pretty lukewarm, but to be fair I have no real idea of his capabilities.

I desperately want someone who desperately wants the job. A thoroughly modern, and desperate coach.

I will tell you all who will coach essendon NEIL " I'LL STAB YOU IN THE BACK" CRAIG.

It started yesterday…

I don’t get it.

Getting one thing right has gone to someone’s head.

The thing he got right wasn’t totally right by the way I have about 15 sources on that after yesterday either Hird did most certainly resign

This. The guy certainly has a source but comes with some heavy biasing.

One big tick in worsfolds favour for mine is that he farken hates loose men in his forward line

I’m coming around to the idea more every day. This just about seals it.

What are people’s thoughts on Ratten?

If worsfold is such a good coach, why were the eagles happy to see him go? The guy won a premiership which is great. But have a look at the midfield: Kerr, Cousins and Judd. Two brownlow medalists and a guy who was runner up twice. Not too mention Cox, probably one if the best ruckmen or recent times. That does tend to help your coaching.

This excitement for worsfold I just don’t understand. Frankly malthouse has far better credentials (he won a premiership 5 years ago cf 9. And 3 total). And yet look how maligned he is on here.

Worsfold may seem like an easy solution, but that is just a quick fix. Go through the process. Choose the best guy available. I’m hoping that isn’t worsfold.

So Worsfold wasn’t successful it was the midfield the won them the GF, three players only? Coach had nothing to do with it at all?

Strange logic you have.

Talk about the straw man. Are you saying that the players had nothing to do with it and it was all worsfold? I can do that too. Not sure I said coach had nothing to do with it. Plus I did mention 4 players…

Just pointing out that he isn’t the messiah. And not the panacea many seem to think he is.

In terms of building the side - I wonder how many of the 2006 side were there before worsfold started?

Name 1 coach that has won a premiership without a list containing gun players?

There were 13 players on the the list before Worsfold arrived, who played in the 2006 flag team. See page 60 post. Judd debuted in Worsfolds first season along with Dean Cox, (off the rookie list).

So in Worsfolds first season as coach he had Cousins, Kerr, Cox, Judd & Embley as a midfield, and then throw in Darren Glass heading up the back line.

Pretty handy foundations. Having said that I know several avid Eagles supporters who were all scathing on Worsfold. Feel he was way too defensive, and a roll of the dice win over the the Swans in the 2006 was all they could show for his reign.

Is Blake C a serious option? Smart thinker, former player.
Dean Solomon ? Any reports on his ability? Played a hard style of footy, i like that

Someone please explain to me how what we did to Adelaide is any different to what Carlton did to Hawthorn.

Carlton - In regular season approach
Essendon - During finals preparation approach.

Oh C’mon, It’s not like Worsfold is chained to Fagan’s desk.

Surely, He can head out for a leisurely 45 minute walk along the Torrens with some suitors without detracting from his role at Adelaide?

I’m sorry but I just won’t buy that this is disrespectful.

Footy is a cut throat business. Our club has to be learn to be the ones cutting throats again. We’ve been pushed around for years and let it happen.

Alternately, we could wait another month and let Woosha get emotionally entrenched at the Crows after a successful finals campaign?

I for one am glad we’re going past 1st base NOW, especially if there’s ‘chemistry’.

Who here can say for sure that the coach selection committee and N-Dan internal review are just a charade? Who honestly gives a fark if they are!

I just want a hungry and talented coach that will help this club climb back up the MF premiership mountain, I couldn’t give a fat frog’s ar$e how we go about getting him.

I’m not saying I agree with the furore, but that Is the line of thinking. The AFLCA asked Essendon to refrain from approaching any coaches who were still involved with finals.

I say stuff them, what did they ever do for us, with that being said, don’t ■■■■ off other clubs either, we deal in a landscape where we will need to be able to make deals with clubs, we cant afford to be ■■■■■■■ everyone off

Some valid points/concerns.

That said, every man and his dog in the industry has been against us since 2013.
Damn Straight, the AFLCA can STICK IT! Frawley did absolutely NOTHING for Hird.

I’m glad that Campbell and Little tried the back door on this one.
RE, ■■■■■■■ off other clubs, Campbell can just blame this episode on Little when that little old chihuahua has gone.

Our rep is so shot right now, we really do have nothing to lose.

CROWBOTS!

Only blitz could absolve james hird of any responsibility for players health and well-being and then criticize john worsfold for the same thing
Lemme know how many kids are under police guard in ED while they're on AOD, or threaten to torch someone's house over a debt owing from some Colostrum, or die in a ditch after a particularly good session on the vitamins and get back to me??

There are drugs, and there are drugs.

Many of the WCE boys are, or have been, into very bad, dangerous substances; and that connected them to very bad, dangerous people. Many of them will suffer severe health consequences, 5 or 6 now have been in trouble with the law, quite likely a lot of them will die much younger than they need to.

I’m with Digs, I can’t possible believe he did his utmost to find out, to help them, to take care of them. He either knew and didn’t act, or didn’t want to know. Both are unforgivable.

I missed the part where Worsfold and the club set up a safe injecting room, and introduced the players to hard drugs.

I’m with EVS, you can’t totally absolve James Hird for a programme that was implemented at the club and that he was fully aware of, and then turn around and torch Woosha for things done off club time.

People have been hiding their drug issues from their employer since the dawn of time.

FWIW I don’t know of anyone who completely absolves Hird of responsibility. But I agree that as far as responsibility goes you’d think Worsfold would have less in terms of what players do away from the club in their own time.

“Worsfold only won X number of finals after those premierships”

How many have we won in the last ten years?

Interesting Horse Longmire isnt in the betting mix (most likely contracted - I haven't bothered looking)

Believe outside of Worsfold he would be favoured.

Dew is the Swans heir apparent and maybe a good time for a fresh start for all!

*choco rounds out the trifecta!

HORSE

If worsfold is such a good coach, why were the eagles happy to see him go? The guy won a premiership which is great. But have a look at the midfield: Kerr, Cousins and Judd. Two brownlow medalists and a guy who was runner up twice. Not too mention Cox, probably one if the best ruckmen or recent times. That does tend to help your coaching.

This excitement for worsfold I just don’t understand. Frankly malthouse has far better credentials (he won a premiership 5 years ago cf 9. And 3 total). And yet look how maligned he is on here.

Worsfold may seem like an easy solution, but that is just a quick fix. Go through the process. Choose the best guy available. I’m hoping that isn’t worsfold.

So Worsfold wasn’t successful it was the midfield the won them the GF, three players only? Coach had nothing to do with it at all?

Strange logic you have.

Talk about the straw man. Are you saying that the players had nothing to do with it and it was all worsfold? I can do that too. Not sure I said coach had nothing to do with it. Plus I did mention 4 players…

Just pointing out that he isn’t the messiah. And not the panacea many seem to think he is.

In terms of building the side - I wonder how many of the 2006 side were there befor worsfold started?

Name 1 coach that has won a premiership without a list containing gun players?

Interesting Horse Longmire isnt in the betting mix (most likely contracted - I haven’t bothered looking)

Believe outside of Worsfold he would be favoured.

Dew is the Swans heir apparent and maybe a good time for a fresh start for all!

*choco rounds out the trifecta!

Only blitz could absolve james hird of any responsibility for players health and well-being and then criticize john worsfold for the same thing
Lemme know how many kids are under police guard in ED while they're on AOD, or threaten to torch someone's house over a debt owing from some Colostrum, or die in a ditch after a particularly good session on the vitamins and get back to me??

There are drugs, and there are drugs.

Many of the WCE boys are, or have been, into very bad, dangerous substances; and that connected them to very bad, dangerous people. Many of them will suffer severe health consequences, 5 or 6 now have been in trouble with the law, quite likely a lot of them will die much younger than they need to.

I’m with Digs, I can’t possible believe he did his utmost to find out, to help them, to take care of them. He either knew and didn’t act, or didn’t want to know. Both are unforgivable.

I missed the part where Worsfold and the club set up a safe injecting room, and introduced the players to hard drugs.

I’m with EVS, you can’t totally absolve James Hird for a programme that was implemented at the club and that he was fully aware of, and then turn around and torch Woosha for things done off club time.

People have been hiding their drug issues from their employer since the dawn of time.

Would Bomber come back?
Would the players want him?
Is there too much baggage for him to be Essendon coach?