New Olympic Sports

IMO the street/park formats are a little boring.
Half the runs are lost to skating to and from obstacles.
Also doesn’t help that people will compare them to video parts which are weeks/months of highlights crammed into a single video.
That’s one reason vert and mega might be more popular than street/park to the general public; at least there’s the speed, height and danger factor to entertain the uninitiated.

1 Like

I don’t like the idea of skating in the olympics and I’m a skater (an old and crappy one). It doesn’t translate well to TV; I find it more entertaining watching some local ripper shred the bowl. Dudes I met as teenagers when our local was built are now hot skaters (it helps being coached by one of Australia/NZs best skaters) but none of these guys care for competitions, they would rather smoke a doob, have a couple of beers and show off to each other. For the most part skating isn’t a competitive sport, it’s more of a lifestyle where people support each other rather than compete.

4 Likes

Oceana McKenzie made the WC final in Switzerland the other week, on her second start on the World Tour

W O M E N boulderingcomplete result
1 GARNBRET Janja SLO
2 NOGUCHI Akiyo JPN
3 COXSEY Shauna GBR
4 GIBERT ■■■■■ FRA
5 KLINGLER Petra SUI
6 MACKENZIE Oceania AUS
7 JOHNSON Alex USA
8 CONDIE Kyra USA

1 Like

Not really new sports but more how gymnastics has evolved. Anyway, I thought it was an interesting comparison.

4 Likes

Interesting reading the comments that most believe the majority of progression happened up until the 70s then it plateaued after that.
Seems to be a fairly common consensus that physiologically we’ve not improved much but the technology has eg

3 Likes

Thanks for that - he presented some very interesting stuff.

3 Likes

our bodies are meant for long distance running.
everyone get out and run 100kms

In some respects they are. We are the greatest migratory animal on the planet. The only continent we hadn’t colonised was Antarctica and I would lay good money that at some stage in prehistory mankind tired but realised it would never work. The thing is, if you took one of those marathon runners, told then to drop down from their 4:38 per mile to a 10 minute mile, they could easily run 100 miles in a day, so long as they were receiving fluids and nutrients along the way. Most people on the planet with training could accomplish that. To put that into perspective, when I do my work fitness test I walk at approx 8.4 minutes per kilometre. That equates to a 13.44 minute mile. And I am both over fifty and overweight with bad knees. A 10 minute mile for a healthy, fit human would not be that hard to achieve and maintain for a long duration.

1 Like

There’s also the practice of persistence hunting.

How is synchronised swimming an Olympic sport?

2 Likes

Where the ■■■■ is the water.

Or is this an inclusive event towards those that are aquaticaly challenged?

You know you’re struggling when the highlights have to be stage manaded in the incorrect state of matter

back in my farming days dad would send me out to catch a sheep if they were having trouble delivering.
they would try and run for a little bit but give up pretty easy.

Im doing a 100km race in September, mostly flat terrain will be interesting how the body holds up in the alter stages as longest races so far have only been 56kms and 6 hours duration.

2 Likes

Anything where people need to write down a score on a card is not a sport.

8 Likes

What about golf?

2 Likes

Perhaps I could’ve phrased it better

That’s a number of something. You hit it 4 times, that guy hit it 3 times.

“I think those flips and rolls are 9.7 out of
10” is subjective.

5 Likes

I got HAP to correct himself!!! This is my proudest moment on blitz.

FWIW HAP, I agree with you :grinning:

6 Likes

Golf isn’t a sport, so technically HAP only clarified his statement, not corrected it.

1 Like

I’m still taking it! Clarification… correction… potato… potato…

1 Like

Gymnastics and diving out too then

2 Likes