New Olympic Sports

Quote from a ‘breaker’ " The training that we undergo is pretty much on par with what you see with other sports, and that is thing that people don’t really see," he said.

"I train a minimum 10 hours a week and that’s on top of a regular job, but that’s just minimum and I’ve been training since I was very young."

sign me up if you can become an Olympian one just over 10hrs for week of training

2 Likes

I did have to laugh when I saw breaking has been included for Paris. But then things like synchronised swimming and gymnastics floor routines have been around for years.

Back to the ancient Greek basics I say and have only running, discus, boxing and naked men covered in olive oil wrestling.
For the sake of equality have women do the same!

5 Likes

They all loved Torville and Dean…

1 Like

And yet squash still continues to be snubbed.

2 Likes

Geez, Friday nite bevvies at Gwilty’s house must be a hoot

And dodgeball.

And snooker.

1 Like

Anyway, were getting close now to the “2020” games, so we can expect the usual Hot Takes from the bleachers complaining about the $$ cost etc etc

Here’s one from the SMH

My take is that Duncan Fine probably thinks he’s some sort of enlightened free thinker who can see through the charade that is the Olympics marketing machine. Who thinks that Olympic athletes are rolling around in likes of taxpayer money.

Meanwhile he has no idea about the individuals in sports that have zero media presence, whose parents have driven them around the country and flown them around the world, who have had fund raising BBQs to fund the training camps, or who have sold cakes to fund airfares to big competitions. He doesn’t understand how these people are a part of the local community sport that he’s claiming he’s all for, and how they provide so much more than his metric of medals vs $$.

Only last weekend I was talking to a parent of a young child, and we were talking about the child’s other sport, and how he’d met someone who was going to the Olympics and how exciting that had been for the kid and how it had inspired them.

Anyway, I love the Olympics, even if they are flawed. Duncan Fine can get stuffed.

10 Likes

Problem is not the athletes and the competitions; it’s the IOC which is a filthy piece of ■■■■ organisation.

13 Likes

Time to start mashing sports together.

Javelin with running, pick off your nations competitors for the win.

Have the shot putters face each other while the throw, unlimited shots until the last competitor is standing.

Any jumping event should be over some form of danger, fire, spikes, or broken glass.

water based events should have aquatic threats, bos and blue ring jelly fish, sharks, crocodiles (or alligators depending on water type)

2 Likes

I think I saw you at the colosseum about 1500 years ago. Some ■■■■ threw a javelin at my lion when it was about to maul a “gladiator”.

probably, but i ask you

2 Likes

Imagine the TV ratings if live gladiator fights and Christians vs lions were re-introduced!
Reality TV at its finest.

1 Like

Biathlons could be so much more interesting if the skiers shot at each other.

1 Like

even better if you add in roaming equestrian death squads

Pole vaulting straight into a diving pool.

Walking, but you’re allowed to run.

4 Likes

I’d be pretty fine with it being trimmed down, a fair bit.

Stuff like sailing - elitist sport to begin with - then there’s half a dozen categories within that. Would anybody even notice if there were only 3 boat sizes next time, not 6?

It should aim to be more of a showcase of sports - even the oddball ones. Not necessarily aiming to show every single variation of the sport. Most sports already have their world championships, or World Cup.

The financials also become a real world problem. If it gets too bloated, nobody will want to hold it to begin with.

1 Like

Czech vaulting. Slovak vaulting.
Put them all in the fkg vault for all I care.

1 Like

Half a dozen categories for sailing?

What about swimming? 34 events!!!

3 Likes