New version of EFC theme - not to be used

Linky, I love that cross cultural AFL stuff

The real reason?

1 Like

They say it wrong in the original song tho…

1 Like

Banjo?

1 Like

Rubbish

The AFL said some clubs specifically requested new versions and so they went ahead and made them for all clubs at the same time.

Probably a very real chance we as a club never made the request and never intended to use it and the whole thing was just poorly communicated.

Other clubs might have very good reasons.

If the AFL didn’t care about the traditional aspect of the theme songs, why would they bother making almost note for note replicas and not make more drastic changes?

I don’t like the new version of our song. I’m glad it’s not being used. The outrage here is ridiculous though.

Yes, the guy who wrote it (60 years ago, as a 16 year old) was on SEN before and said both versions are wrong , because it is supposed to say “The other teams WE don’t fear”, not “THEY don’t fear”.

We’ve been singing the wrong line all this time!!

You can barely hear the obo. The french horn is constantly drowned out and the guy on the triangle may as well have not turned up. And let’s face it, the missing bagpipe solo is clearly a glaring oversight on behalf of the composer.

3 Likes

Needs more cowbell

5 Likes

What a strident rejection of my post overall that ignores every single one of my points.

Breaking news?

It’s not that different, finally. The thing is, the outrage is justified as it’s just another element of the AFL wanting complete control over a game. Etc.

The club should play the new version when we win Friday night and see if anyone notices.

That no one asked for the new theme songs that were commissioned because some clubs asked for them?

Yeah, I meant supporters.
But sure, I’ll go with clubs too.

The opening of the Fark Carlton theme song sounds like intro music to a stripper coming on stage.

Of all the teams to get a song redo, you’d think Freo would have jumped at the chance.

They had a stab at it a few years ago. Even commissioned Eskimo Joe for a (quie good) song. In the end, the saddoes kept their original.
Can’t begrudge them though (for the same reasons I didn’t want ours changed). I don’t love our song per se - I love the tradition of it and what it represents…

3 Likes
  • speaker blares out “I WANT TO FK YOU LIKE AN ANIMAL”…

• Players run through banner

11 Likes

New tigers song sounds good.

Looks like they are to blame for this too…

Hi all

You would have most likely seen a bit of news in the media of late regarding the re-recording of the majority of the AFL Club theme songs. Not everything being reported is accurate… therefore please read on for clarification, which should help in the event you are asked about this by any of our members or fans.

• We’ve got the best song in the league, no doubt, but the version of our song being used at our games up until now has included an incorrect lyric – “risking head and skin” instead of the correct line – “risking head and shin”.
  • Over the last 6-7 years the Club has received a huge amount of communication and feedback from our fans, pleading with us to correct the song. Some in the media, including Club Immortal Kevin Bartlett, joined the call to correct the song, therefore the feedback has intensified over the last few years.
  • We have been investigating ways of fixing the song, with the final recommendation from the experts being that due to the quality and format of the original song, it would need to be re-recorded.
  • Our song, like the rest of our Intellectual Property (IP) is owned by the AFL, therefore we had to engage with them in a bid to correct the lyric. After a few years of lobbying, the AFL agreed to undertake a project to fix the song and in doing so, discovered there were at least 6 other clubs whose club songs had incorrect lyrics (must have been a big day in the studio back when they were originally recorded!). Therefore, the AFL put the offer out to all Clubs to re-record the songs, of which, 15 Clubs agreed.
  • Working with the AFL, we engaged KB and our very own Matthew Richardson to get involved in the re-recording of the song. Watch it here - http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2018-02-13/kb-richo-rerecord-club-song

So in summary, our objective was to correct the incorrect lyric in the song, whilst maintaining the overall integrity. We believe this has been achieved. Although the newer version of the song is crisper and clearer, the overall difference is negligible. And most importantly, it includes the correct lyrics.

Yeah that’s all dumb