New version of EFC theme - not to be used

Yeah well, the whole request for Friday night might not end up being that important as I don’t have my tickets yet so I’m probably not going anyway

#EFCListens

1 Like

If they go with the new version it’d be great to know why. Some specific examples - not just “better suited for digital use”. Why can’t the old version still be used?

Well that would be a lie, but still, lets see what they come up with.

Still nothing from the club. A bunch of other clubs have said something publicly.

Why announce anything?
Just don’t use the new version.

The AFL said it was up to the club.

No-one asked for this.
No-one complained about the original.
No-one likes the new version.

And no-one ■■■■■■■ believes you can’t digitally tidy up the old one.
No-one.
Never mind that no-one asked for it to be tidied up, or complained that the old one was getting a little dodgy, no-one believes that you can’t remaster an old recording.

Yep agree with all of that.

Not changing it annoys literally nobody (well maybe Gil’s cousin who played banjo on the new version or something ridiculous like that, its always about the $).

Changing it will annoy a great many people. Not all people, but a significant number. On that basis alone it seems like a no brainer not to change it.

Club is supposed to be a community organisation, paid for and ultimately accountable to its members. Making such a change without consulting those members, or considering their views, seems ridiculous.

Yet EFC put the new version up on its website pretty quickly on Friday with the headline ‘Our song for 2018’. No explanation, no discussion, nothing. I don’t think that bodes well for Friday.

As someone who is an old school fan, and who was elected primarily due to support from those fans, I’d be staggered if Katie would support something so silly.

3 Likes

But… but… it’s digitized. That’s what is important, right?

Exactly.

Honestly if you ask me, i thought the quality of the new version was worse than the old version. Someone posted on here that it sounds like something that could have been knocked up in GarageBand , and I agree with that assessment.

Agree, yet given we’ve spent the past few years being the AwFuL’s gimp, rolling over and having our tummies tickled, we all know which way it’s going to go, don’t we?..

and the bowls club beat us up as well*

*although we got an excellent new facility out of it, but still…

Knowing the AwFuL, they probably told the clubs “fine, you can use the original, but you’re paying the royalties”. For tin-rattling clubs like Norf that may be an issue, but it wouldn’t be for clubs of the stature of Essendon, The Filth and Fark Carlton. And the Filth know that, hence why (to their eternal credit) it looks like they’re going down that road…

I’d be very interested to know where any new royalties are going.

The original recordings are not degrading or deteriorating, as has been contended. That’s not the reason the change has been made.

Equally, the whole thing doesn’t appear to be a distraction from anything. They didn’t leak a thought bubble like they usually do when they want to create a distraction, they actually recorded the songs.

So something else is up. Normally when that is the case with an AFL decision, that something is always $.

Anyone want a bet, honestly, that one of Gil’s mates or similar hasn’t been involved in the new recordings and will therefore get paid $ forever? I wouldn’t.

Hadn’t thought of that - maybe the recordings were done by the Xavier Old Boys Marching Band or something?

I’m 100% certain it’s purely a case of avoiding the payment of royalties. The music business is as crooked as they come. It’d be a tight-run contest between it and the AwFuL as to which is the more corrupt. Licensing of the pre-existing theme tune recordings from whichever organisation owns them would cost plenty. Imagine how many times these tunes are played over a calendar year at various functions/games/etc. That organisation has had the AwFuL by the short n’ curlies (God bless 'em!) up to now, and would’ve ensured they charged a premium.
Now that won’t be an option, and will save the AwFuL plenty - in fact, they can in turn charge licensing to any organisation (including the clubs…) who want to use the new versions. Win-win for the AwFuL.
Clubs who continue to use the pre-existing versions will be made to pay the royalties… AwFuL will wash their hands and say “well, we gave you the option…”

1 Like

I expect an explanation of the situation from the club in 3, 2, 1.9999999999999999, 1.9999999999999998, 1.9999999999999997…

1 Like

Yes, if it is not about royalties, how come the three clubs for which royalties are still running (Freo, GCS and GWS) don’t get changed.
To claim that the other clubs wanted the changes and that they are free to use the old version could suggest that their use is conditional on offloading royalty costs from the AFL to those clubs .
Would be good for the EFC to clarify.

If I’m not clear about this…
It’s the ■■■■■■■ disdain.

Oh, just the club song?
That thing that has been played for every. single. ■■■■■■■. win. for the last, what, half century?
Am I being conservative?

Yeah, we’ll just change that.
What do the supporters think?
Who cares? ■■■■ 'em.

Edit: Seriously. I mean mother-■■■■■■■ seriously. How ■■■■■■■ arrogant do you have to be as an organisation not to consider your stakeholders in something like that.
In one way, yes, it’s about the club song.
But equally it’s about the ■■■■■■■ silence from the club.
I mean, WTAF?

Edit: Edit: Okay, I’m going on.
But really?
My gob is well and truly smacked.

Again, two issues.
One, changing the club song.
Two…communications 101?
Radio silence?
No key messages?
No…anything?

It’s ■■■■■■■ amateur hour, and whoever is in charge of communications should be ■■■■■■■ hauled over hot coals.

1 Like

The whole match atmosphere is no longer. Seriously, not one change that has been implemented has made the match day experience of Aussie rules any better.

The stupid chant or whatever it is at our games?
The siren?
The contrived scarf waving?
Not allowing our players to warm up on the ground before the game?
Increased game day advertising including gambling?
The “We are Essendon” chant (I HATE THIS)?

All of these new initiatives are absolute garbage…

I was sitting near an older Essendon supporter who’d had a few beers and started one of those blood curdling “Ess-en-don!” (Clap, Clap Clap) chants last year at the Hawks game. It was the best thing I’d heard at the footy for probably 15 years. Everyone joined in - young and old.

2 Likes

I’m sorry, but this was free kick given on the goal-line.
You wanna know why you don’t have 90,000 members despite having a fuckload more supporters than 90% of other teams?
Really?
It’s this ■■■■.

It’s choosing our clash jumper ‘over a couple of red wines, really wasn’t that hard.’
It’s locking out a quarter of the crowd for the first quarter against GC, when we kicked the highest first quarter score of all time, and then blaming ■■■■■■■ Etihad…like it happens to anyone else.
It’s telling people ten years ago that you want to be a members only club and then jack up the prices for membership.
Faaaaaaaaaaaaark you.
It’s being complicit in the crucifiction of your coach, Brownlow medalist, last Premiership captain.

Just for ■■■■■■■ once, show that you’re not a subsidiary of AFL ltd.
Just. ■■■■■■■. Once.

4 Likes

Wim I agree completely. If they frustrate the wrong age demographic of supporters the kids are not going to just bring themselves to the footy. Whats to follow? A club who have not won a thing for nearly 2 decades. After the support shown to the club by the supporters despite the saga, you’d want to get everything right after then, not just pretend…

Sadly I agree with SMJ 100% in that it’s most likely one of Gil’s school old boy or Polo playing wank mates who will is receiving a tidy little clip $$ out of the whole thing