Newsflash: Our kicking at goal is a problem

Glaring today!

The only blokes I'd have any confidence in taking a set shot in would be Winderlich, Ryder, Stanton, and Zerrett. The rest are 50/50 at best.

The AFL totally screws Champion Data with those blurbs.  It says the Tigers and Demons should be in the top 5.

Well, actually, they're not saying that at all.

What they are actually saying is that the Tigers and Demons are amongst the top 5 teams that have benefitted from good goal kicking and their opponents bad goal kicking.  Which is a totally different thing.

They're not saying Essendon "should rank 14th".  What they're saying is that Essendon has cost themselves 1.2 points per game with bad goal kicking and been unlucky by 2.1 points per game when it comes to opposition's goal kicking against Essendon (before tonight).  So, in total, they've been the 14th ranked team when it comes to penalising themselves with bad goal kicking and being penalised by opposition good goal kicking.

The sad thing is people will read that blurb and say "LOL STATS SAY RICHMOND SHOULD BE IN THE TOP 5 !!!1111!!!  STATS ARE STOOPID" when stats aren't saying that at all.

What a far cry from the days of Lloyd who had about 60+% accuracy.

In his prime it was 70-80%. After the hammy it went down hill.

Feels about right though, tonight was the first game in a while where the opposition weren’t scoring goals from EVERYWHERE. And even then, Geelong were up 5.1 at one stage with three goals from outside 50

Keep that rubbish Dell with his rubbish two goals, and we beat Melbourne and Geelong. FFS.

LLoyd get on down there and show them how it is done.

I can’t understand how “pro” player can miss some of the shots these guys are missing

We need a key forward who can kick goals. Post season we need to talk to West Coast. There is no way that West Coast can keep McGoven, Kennedy, Lycett and Darling in the same team. Darling and Kennedy would be untouchable but ethier Lycett or McGoven would do exactly what we need.

Heard Andrew Gaze one night when he was asked how come you never miss the free throws and our AFL footballers struggle from set shots.  His comment was that he practiced free throws for at least an hour a day and he could not understand why AFL players do not use their spare time to practise goal kicking.

As many of our players are underemployed I would suggest that a number of our highly paid pretenders could use some of that time to improve their goal kicking.  A number of our other players could also work on their field passing as our kicking lets us down when the games are close.

Heard Andrew Gaze one night when he was asked how come you never miss the free throws and our AFL footballers struggle from set shots. His comment was that he practiced free throws for at least an hour a day and he could not understand why AFL players do not use their spare time to practise goal kicking.
As many of our players are underemployed I would suggest that a number of our highly paid pretenders could use some of that time to improve their goal kicking. A number of our other players could also work on their field passing as our kicking lets us down when the games are close.

I know BT is a flog but he made a good point about sports scientists etc ruining the game, he has been employed by several clubs to help with goal kicking and most clubs will only allow players to have a dozen kicks at the end of training. Gone are the days when guys stayed behind for hours practicing, coaches would love them to but they are overuled by these idiots who demand that players can only train for 1.6 hours per day and have 12 kicks at goal only to prevent fatigue.
Game was a lot better when players had a beer and a smoke and then stayed and had a few kicks after training, too high tech these days

Coleman has the highest goals per game ever, screw Hudson!

Are you sure? l have read many times that Hudson has the highest ave of goals / game, Coleman is second, both are the only players to ave over 5 goals / game.
Coleman 5.48
Hudson 5.64
Funny enough the the stats for Hudson 5.46 is wrong. Where is there checks and balance.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Australian_Football_League_all-time_leading_goalkickers

I actually didn't know what Hudson's was before that article, just knew what colemans was, so when I saw 5.46 assumed Coleman was higher. My bad!

Would i be correct in thinking that Bassett is doing poorly as forward line coach?

Basset isn’t a flog he won back to back premiership flags in the SANFL.

Can coach.

But can he coach the forward line?

Maybe we just have ■■■■ forwards.

Basset isn't a flog he won back to back premiership flags in the SANFL.
Can coach.

Im a big wrap for him but the fact is he played over 300 games as a defender and at Norwood he won us two flags by coaching in a very defense orientated manner, last year we only had 10 goals kicked on us once or twice. Absolute genius defensively but not sure about his forward work. Am also hearing he isnt exactly happy in this role and the Crows will make a big play to get him home

Not just the forwards to place Ll the blame on. The ball movement at times doesn’t help. Long bombs won’t help anybody. Mids need to lower the eyes hit some targets. On a few occasions Merrett in particular will kick the ball to the forwards advantage for where he should be running.