Nick Kommer

I guess the previous Nick Kommer thread has disappeared?

I just wanted to comment, has anyone noticed that Kommer seems to be pinged a lot for holding the ball, a lot of times quite unfairly, ie getting tackled instantly and without prior opp?

I'm not sure why, but I've noticed a lot of times when he goes to ground he appears content to lie there and doesn't make that token (and rather academic) action to appear to be trying to punch the ball out...

I've noticed this a few times over the year and again on the weekend. Something about his mannerisms makes the umpires really keen to ping him everytime he gets caught....

The one on the weekend was crap. That rule does annoy me, that you have to pretend to be punching the ball like mad so it's a genuine attempt, which Kommer didn't do.

Just ping them if they have had a legitimate prior opportunity.

Actually the umpire couldn't see his arm he was lying on was trying to punch the ball. Pretty hard thing to do really.

That was a totally crap call from the umpire. But it was in like with a lot of the rubbish they served up for most of the game.

That decision (paid to Darling?) was rubbish.  Many other more obvious decisions were allowed to go.

On Kommer, I love his tenacity and work ethic but lets be honest, he's a very limited player ability wise.  I guess he's ok for a pick 70 odd or whatever his draft position was.  

There were about 6 exact same incidents like that in the game that were called as ball ups..complete ■■■■

I like the way that Kommer plays but I dont think he is a forward. maybe better on a wing.

For sure. It gives me the ■■■■■ when our players are so stupid to not to do that token "I'm trying to get rid of the footy" - especially if there's plenty of teammates around the contest. How dumb are they? Its inexcusable really. And Kommer for all his toughness just pulls this limp stupid crap all the time.

Really need experience, loves to hold the ball every time he gets tackled and never really looks up. Heads first all the time. Hopefully with a few preseason he learns how to perform better under pressure and actually start pretending to get rid the ball and starts looking up!

For sure. It gives me the ■■■■■ when our players are so stupid to not to do that token "I'm trying to get rid of the footy" - especially if there's plenty of teammates around the contest. How dumb are they? Its inexcusable really. And Kommer for all his toughness just pulls this limp stupid crap all the time.

Maybe if you opened your eyes while watching, and for that matter reading as someone has already stated this above, then you would have seen he was trying to move his arms but they were pinned to him and he was unable to do so.  The call by the ump was totally incorrect and they do that a lot in most games now.

It is the "new" interpretation.  You can throw the ball, drop the ball, hand the ball off (all of which are supposedly illegal disposal of the ball based on the current rules of the game) but if you do not make a demonstrative effort to get rid of the ball (even when you cannot make said demonstrative action because five players are sitting on you) then you will be adjudged as holding the ball.

You are now required to no longer make the gathering fo the ball your aim. You must, at all costs, tackle a player who even thinks of going near the ball.  The ball is no longer an objective it is merely a tool used to make us think that people are actually playing a football code sport.  The reality is that the AFL has deemed wrestling as the "new football".

I do watch IceTemple. He lies with his cheek on the ground like Byrce Gibbs waiting for his boyfriend to come out of the shower. Its just outright dumb. There was a West Coast player pinned by about 3 of our guys and he trashed around and made it look like he was trying to get it out. Umpire played a ball up. Kommer lies there for 3 seconds dead still with his arms under his stomach. Maybe there's been a couple where he's being incorrectly pinging but you have to do more than limply lie there. Just move your body slightly. Anything.

Yeah, that interpretation gives me the ■■■■■. It’s so random, and so dumb - more about appearance then reality. Doesn’t matter that it might be impossible to get rid of the ball, you have to go through the charade of pretending to try. What makes it worse that genuinely good tackles are so rarely rewarded.

As for Kommer, he does have a tendency to take off and hanging on to the ball when he might be better off giving it off. That happened in the FP yesterday when he could have given it to Davey.

He is strating to look very tired and just needs a rest. Even though he is a bit older it is still his first AFL season.

He (as well as 19 others) looked very tired on Sunday.

I just wanted to comment, has anyone noticed that Kommer seems to be pinged a lot for holding the ball, a lot of times quite unfairly, ie getting tackled instantly and without prior opp?
I'm not sure why, but I've noticed a lot of times when he goes to ground he appears content to lie there and doesn't make that token (and rather academic) action to appear to be trying to punch the ball out...

It's not just him. Seems to be competition wide that rookies are umpired differently to the stars.

I do watch IceTemple. He lies with his cheek on the ground like Byrce Gibbs waiting for his boyfriend to come out of the shower. Its just outright dumb. There was a West Coast player pinned by about 3 of our guys and he trashed around and made it look like he was trying to get it out. Umpire played a ball up. Kommer lies there for 3 seconds dead still with his arms under his stomach. Maybe there's been a couple where he's being incorrectly pinging but you have to do more than limply lie there. Just move your body slightly. Anything.

He had Darling and I think Cox (maybe Kennedy) literally on top of him.
Should clearly have stood up, grabbed them in either hand, clapped their heads together, then thrown them onto level 3. Simple.
He's clearly soft, any man would've done the same.

He's awesome. Lock thread.

He's good but needs to have more impact in the midfield and would like to see him kick 2 goals per game. No point only being a tackling machine.

hes got to stop back chat to umpires now.

its the reason why ken roberts never got a free kick .

it's why they ping him all the time. You just have to shut up and cop it sweet; or they'll remember and pay against you every time.

Dempsey's the absolute worst at this.

hes got to stop back chat to umpires now.

its the reason why ken roberts never got a free kick .

Just for my benefit, he should change his surname from 'Kommer' to 'Judd' over the off season to see if it leads to any improvement.

I reckon it would help heaps.