No Women's Team for Essendon in 2017

Just read that Essendon has confirmed that it won’t be bidding for a team in the new Women’s League.

Can’t say that this makes me sad in any way as I would have zero interest in watching such a team.

My daughter played in both womens games one for Melbourne one for Western Bulldogs I would suggest you try to get a copy of one of these games.lt should explain a lot of the doubts to anyone.She also played in the first exhibition game at the G.I understand the reason for Essendon not going ahead at this stage.

Having been surveyed by the AFL on the women’s league I will be disappointed to see if they don’t even play to the same rules that every other Aussie rules game is played to.

• 16 a side
  • Last touch out of bounds is a free kick
  • Limit players in areas of the field
  • Planned season to run through summer (although it would allow the stars to play for a local club during winter)

Also they had me choose from some of the wankiest marketing terms I have ever heard.

Despite all this, good luck to all the girls that get to play and work in the league, and all their families and friends that go along to support.

I just wish the afl didn’t try to make it a totally different game to what we know.

Very much in favour of us being a part of this… But not just yet. Priorities

hang on, we run all these things getting the best female players down to the club not a few months back, and suddenly we dont want to field a team, that seems weird to me.

That’s a pity. I would have gone to the odd game even with the dubious sounding special rules.

Having been surveyed by the AFL on the women's league I will be disappointed to see if they don't even play to the same rules that every other Aussie rules game is played to.
  • 16 a side
  • Last touch out of bounds is a free kick
  • Limit players in areas of the field
  • Planned season to run through summer (although it would allow the stars to play for a local club during winter)

Also they had me choose from some of the wankiest marketing terms I have ever heard.

Despite all this, good luck to all the girls that get to play and work in the league, and all their families and friends that go along to support.

I just wish the afl didn’t try to make it a totally different game to what we know.

They’re obviously going to use the Womens League as a “NAB cup” type experimentation comp, to test the rules they are thinking of bringing in at AFL level.

They read the tea leaves and realised they wouldn’t be considered for one of the 4 licences because our clubs reputation in the community is down the toilet.

The biggest shame is that it’s the AWFUL that’s going to be running the comp. Bring back the VFA !!.

^^^^ Exactly.

And I think it really nasty that people would say they would not be at all interested in watching these games without even having sampled it first.

Summer league? That’s NFL season

we do have a women’s team, but they seem to only come out to play on anzac day and in finals

I am really disappointed.

I think it would have been great for EFC to be a foundation club.
I believe we have the best facilities so would have been very well placed to provide support for a team.
I think it would have shown support for 50% of the population.

I would certainly watch the games particularly on television. The one women’s game I have seen was fantastic, much better style of football than the rolling maul the AFL seems determined to perpetuate in the mens game in an effort to appease the media’s desire for a “free flowing game.”

I am disappointed I wont have a team to support

lol QC Lane writes an article talking about St Kilda looking at trying to field a team and opens by announcing that Essendon won’t. She always wants to write an article that is done in a negative way towards us.

I am really disappointed.

I think it would have been great for EFC to be a foundation club.
I believe we have the best facilities so would have been very well placed to provide support for a team.
I think it would have shown support for 50% of the population.

I would certainly watch the games particularly on television. The one women’s game I have seen was fantastic, much better style of football than the rolling maul the AFL seems determined to perpetuate in the mens game in an effort to appease the media’s desire for a “free flowing game.”

I am disappointed I wont have a team to support

Unfortunately Scorp - it’s another of things beyond our control.
Should start a separate farkin league.

we do have a women's team, but they seem to only come out to play on anzac day and in finals

Please dont insult the women.

we do have a women's team, but they seem to only come out to play on anzac day and in finals

This is a poor comment.

Unfortunately despite wanting a team it’s an expense we can’t afford at the moment. Get a few bills pending it seems. Insurance companies being…insurance companies. Hopefully it will be something we can look at the following season.

I think it will be a great success when it happens, and we are vital given that we are amongst the biggest supporter bases, but given they have said only 4 Victorian licenses at the moment and the doggies and the demons having the inside running, I don’t see us being a favoured brand at the moment.

I wonder if Stephanie Hird is interested in playing for us?

That would get a lot of our supporters mobilised to support her, could be massive if she is inclined to do it.

We said we would and have backflipped. My immediate thought was compo payouts might limit our ability to do it properly.

That, and our ones haven’t one a final since 2004 so that’s our priority.