Non Essendon Finals Thread

Doubtful, Port were in far better form leading into the finals than us.

Ports record this season against final 8 teams ended at 2 wins, 8 losses. They were No more legitimate contenders than us, tbh.

Its been a very weird season with only Sydney approaching a genuinely top level, imo and everyone else have real flaws.

I think the Swans will dismantle Adelaide tactically and are the best team in it overall. But Richmond may ride pace and momentum all the way on the big ground.

Barely. They still hasnā€™t beaten a team in the top 8, they were the ultimate flat track bullies. They would have gotten hammered by the swans, similar to us. Only difference would have been that their ruckman would have won more taps

Round 20: Port smashed by 84 points
Round 21: Port won 27 points against Pies who pushed them hard
Round 22: Port norrowly won against Doggies 17 points after trailing at 3/4 time
Round 23: Port beat GC by 119 points (GC didnā€™t even turn up to play)

They were hardly in scintillating form leading into the finals. Yes they won their last three but two of those they got pushed until the last.

In comparison we won 3 of the last 4 too. Hardly inspiring but we still won.

Any VFL watchers have a tip for the port melburne v footscray game today?

Barrack for Port, the Doggies won last year but are not in great form tbh.

1 Like

A week earlier we struggled to get over the Suns and the Dogs embarrassed us a few weeks before that. Port belted the Suns and beat the Dogs on the road. I just think they were in better form heading into the finals, we barely got over a Freo side that had already started Mad Monday. Our last couple of weeks were really poor and alarm bells should of been ringing

2 Likes

The Dogs didnā€™t embarrass us at all, that is very selective comments. We won 3 of our last 4 while looking terrible, they won 3 of their last 4 while looking terrible against 2 of them. The concept that they ā€œwere in far better form leading into the finals than usā€ is not really correct, they were only marginally better than us.

Dogs did embarrass us, we played into their hands. Surely you would admit our last four to five weeks were putrid and we appeared to hit the wall. Leading into finals we shouldnā€™t be scraping over the line against Fark Carlton, the Suns or Freo. Maybe Ports form wasnā€™t that much better but they would of comfortably beat us yesterday

1 Like

I didnā€™t watch the game last night. Couldnā€™t bring myself to - watched North by Northwest, instead.

Anyway, thatā€™s some sort of pressure kick from Shuey - and the free was totally there. Would like to have seen the look on that prick of a Port president.

Picture him trying to swallow a bag of dicks. Thatā€™s the look on his face.

3 Likes

No, I think heā€™d be upset.

5 Likes

Absolutely not - Shuey lifted his arm when tackled which forced the tacklers arm upwards - The umpire who made that call should have umpired his last game for 2017.

AFL has claimed it was the correct decision and fully back the umpire

I reckon the position of his knees are just as bad as the arm lift. Who runs with their knee 30cm off th ground (try it)?

The AFL always backs the umpires even if itā€™s blatantly wrong.

I donā€™t think Ace was agreeing with them. Heā€™s just saying they ā€œclaimedā€ it was the right decision.

Yep.
Shrugged his shoulders to get out of the tackle, should of been play on but Port losing makes going to work tomorrow somewhat bearable

5 Likes

ā€˜Slag-gateā€™ is gaining momentum.

It was a great decision by the umpire and he should be given a medal for ensuring Port were knocked out and ended up lower than us on the ladder despite having zero excuses. FK (och).