Non Essington Semi Final Round

Geelong should thank us.

Our first quarter last week, followed by our last half cooked the Swans.

Got tocongratulate the ■■■■■ players for making so many match winning moves, I wonder what the coaches thought of it all.

FFS this competition is a riddle week to week.

Geelong play crap one week, then thrash the "form side " of the competition the next.

Form side of the competition thrashes us like they are the invincibles, then come our and play like
mice the next, and are beaten by a side that were mice the week before and come out like supreme predators.

I suppose I have one complaint about Woosha. Its his idealogical refusal to “tag” opposition champions.
Then to be shown the week after that tagging the oppositions MVP works and works well, illustrating by contrast how players like Kennedy, Sloane, Rich, Zerret, and Zaha can be curtailed.

If it was a year for learning, maybe Woosha should learn that sometimes tagging helps you win.

We had Myers playing a defensive role on Kennedy. Its just that Myers is both an ordinary tagger and player in general

We also don’t exactly have a Dangerfield in our midfield to play fwd. Probably why Stringer firmly in our sights as that X factor medium fwd/mid.

Effort and composure however was on the players.

40 tackles in 1st down to 9 in 2nd was unacceptable. That’s why they were waltzing the ball forward and our defence was being caught out continually. Our pressure had to be on for the whole game. It wasn’t.

Cats didn’t bring the effort/got out pressured against Tigers the week before and got belted.

1 Like

You’re missing the point about teaching players on how to adapt to changing match conditions. Geelong’s players had a choice last night. Concede defeat on hearing that T Lonergan was out of the side as a late withdrawal and that P Dangerfield would have to start forward because H Taylor was now required at the other end and their preferred starting line-up is now all a*se-about or, change their tactics from every other week this year (including last week) from a fast moving, handball oriented style to a tempo controlling, high possession and hard tackling approach this week. Those players were able to change how they play to suit the challenge at hand. That’s what good sides can do and that’s what the Essendon coaches are trying to achieve as with their side. It takes ability but also it requires the full commitment of the group to succeed. Hawthorn did it twice this year against Sydney. Geelong only a few weeks ago tried to play Sydney on it’s terms and were exposed badly. Last night, through circumstance or brilliance, not sure which but who cares, they had to change the way they regularly play and that’s the type of adaptability that Worsfold is trying to engender with Essendon. That’s what he means when he describes how he wants his side to be able to change when the circumstances require it.

5 Likes

No-one thinks players being Able to adjust is a bad idea.

1 Like

And that’s what Worsfold is teaching them to do.

When I was learning to drive the driving instructor had his own brake pedal installed on the passenger side.

6 Likes

It’s pointless debating this with you because you’ve made it clear that you don’t think Worsfold knows what he’s doing. And that’s fine but I think you’re wrong. And that’s fine too.

It is absolutely possible to debate this, as long as words like ‘you’ are avoided.

There’s nothing to debate or discuss. We’ve both stated our position and really, I don’t give a sh*t if you agree or not. It has no bearing on anything.

Last nights first qtr umpiring showed everything that is wrong with the rules of the game.

Deliberate out of bounds when punching the ball.
Dangerous tackle.
Nominating in the ruck contest.

All new rules, all paid in the first qtr of a final.

4 Likes

I reckon the umpires started pretty nervously.

Yep, that’s why.

Correct. I don’t care about changing your mind on this or anything else. Have your opinion but frankly, I’m not interested.

Yep.
If you’re not interested in other views, if you continually attack the poster and not the post, then you’re right, debate is impossible.

1 Like

Opinions are fine, trolling isn’t and I’ll continue to call you out if you continue to do it.

1 Like

By all means, call out opinions you disagree with. But having an opposing opinion isn’t trolling.

Which post upset you, and why?
I certainly didn’t mean to.

Tell me which bit was trolling and I’ll delete or modify it.

The line between critiquing and trolling was crossed in the Worsfold thread. More than once.