Northern Territory want an AFL team

Back in the 70’s and 80’s, most Western Australians hated the VFL with a passion. They detested the fact that their best players were always being “poached” by Victorian clubs, without ever wanting to concede that the reason they went east was to play at the highest level possible. As such, a vast proportion of Western Australians had no genuine allegiance to any VFL side and when the Eagles were formed, readily switched to them, both from a hatred of all things Victorian, and because it was the in thing to do. There was a reason their supporters were known as the Chardonnay set.

I believe that the South Australians were very much the same.

The problem with both Tasmania and NT is that those conditions don’t exist there. Neither state had a dominant local league for all their attention. They naturally followed a VFL/AFL side and as such are far less likely to switch to a local team.

3 Likes

Yeah, I didn’t think carefully enough about the dates when I wrote my original post as it was late and I’d had a couple of beers. Sorry. Basically, I was just referring to the culture in Perth and Adelaide at the time those clubs joined vs. the culture now in Tasmania. AFL is very deeply ingrained here now in a way that I don’t think would have been the case in in Perth and Adelaide in the years prior to those cities’ clubs joining, when the VFL/AFL was effectively still just another state league (albeit the biggest and most nationally popular state league).

Yes, the location is another issue, although personally I don’t see the point in it being located anywhere apart from Hobart. But, I am from Hobart, so maybe I’m biased.

1 Like

My brilliant humour is sadly lost on some :frowning:

We’re on the same page and I agree with you that establishing a Tasmanian team would definitely take some time. It would be difficult for supporters, who have loyally followed a team their entire lives, to suddenly switch allegiances, especially in the absence of a strong local league (as LB pointed out). Would it take a generation or with mass marketing/media, etc could it be achieved in say a 10-year timeframe? The big unknown.

Once established, would the team be financially viable year-in, year-out? Again, I don’t know. The AFL continues to subsidise weak Victorian clubs, such as the Saints, Doggies, & North. If a feasibility study was carried out and indicated that a Tasmanian team had a high probability of becoming financially viable, in say a decade, I would prefer the subsidy money be directed to Tasmania rather than endlessly supporting unprofitable Victorian clubs.

1 Like

Ah no, Deckham, I understood what you meant — but it set me thinking, and I reckoned that if McLachlan got backed into a corner about basing a team in Darwin, he’d claim they’d have to build a stadium with a roof, like Docklands, to protect the poor visiting Southern teams — and that would cost too much…

1 Like

You talk about the “financial viability” of a Tasmanian team: we have at least two teams in the AFL already that will never be “financially viable”, viz., North Melbourne and St. Kilda (not to mention Footscray), who are a permanent drain on the finances of the well-run clubs, so why not replace them with teams that might become viable in the not-so-distant future ?

Tasmanian and Northern Territory teams might cost the AFL money initially, but it wouldn’t be worse than we’re already forking out for those two tin-rattling, bludger clubs — and there is hope for the future health of the League as a true all-Australian competition instead of the fake, pretend one it is now.

Nine Melbourne-based teams out of 18 is just ridiculous in the context of a “National Competition,” but it’s the nettle that gutless Gil is afraid to grasp.

Yep. That’s exactly what I said. ‘I would prefer the subsidy money be directed to Tasmania rather than endlessly supporting unprofitable Victorian clubs’. And I also mentioned the same three clubs.

1 Like

More likely the AFL would justify a 3rd Sydney team than put one in the NT or Tassie…

The AFL basically tore the Tasmanian competition apart, to the point where there is very little interest any more in a comp that was pre AFL involvement, a thriving, fiercely parochial thing. Much like they did to the VFA, and then the VFL. No way they will now put a Tassie team, except a U18/VFL level feeder setup, into their comp.

The AFL are nought but blood sucking leeches to all but their own quasi national comp teams.

8 Likes

Moving discussion out of the Irving Mosquito thread.

1 Like

Thread discussion

1 Like

You’re assuming there is 44 AFL quality (ranging from champion to list clogger) players from the NT that are currently not being picked up for ‘reasons’, and that will be both picked up and perform if there is a NT team.

That seems a significant stretch to me.

I’d say it will be another 10 years before we start reaping the benefits there consistently. But the scope for benefits is significantly greater.