Not #39 - Heath Hocking

1st to recommit…will never forget that.

1st to recommit....will never forget that.

Loved his interview on Bomber TV today saying that decision was a no brainer as he’s grown up loving the club. What a man!

And people don’t have him in their best side.

Bleeds red and black.

We all know this year our coaches nickname was John “no hard tagging” Worsfold. But now we have the first indication that even when we start playing for sheep stations in 2017, Woosha will not be hard tagging opponents . Hence the revalations from Heath Hocking on the club web site today.

We all know this year our coaches nickname was John "no hard tagging" Worsfold. But now we have the first indication that even when we start playing for sheep stations in 2017, Woosha will not be hard tagging opponents . Hence the revalations from Heath Hocking on the club web site today.

Which probably means I shouldn’t have been quite as vocal with my displeasure at our abominable strategy vs the Lions.

If that is indeed the way he wants to play it, then so be it and I hope it works for us.

Is Zaharakis always there for the sealer against the pies?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Lw3ZT_lvLY

McKernan was so good in that game

The days of the pure lock down tagger are probably gone anyway. Can’t afford to have someone being a non event attacking wise.

Look at Coniglio at GWS, he plays the run with role restricting the oppositions best mid but still racks up 30 possessions himself.

Hocking is still a must for the side. But will need to not be so defensively minded, hurt the opposition star on the counter which he capable of.

Hocking plays EFC wins - when he is out they almost always lose.

Hocking plays EFC wins - when he is out they almost always lose.

So he’s the new Dustin Fletcher?

He’s been told to get the ball. And if there’s someone in the way, it’s their fault.

How’s. This guy training?

On Friday, he was doing all his little niggly, aggressive things, creating space for others and just doing his job. In other words, he was great and we are stronger with him in the team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Lw3ZT_lvLY

Great win that one.

I wonder what Heath’s role yesterday was supposed to be.

His 10 touches and 3 tackles don’t seem to have amounted to much.

Did we actually try and tag anyone through the middle? Did he take Howlett’s role, who took Green’s role?

1 Like

The rain at the MCG during the Essendon and Carlton match may not have quite been at drought breaking proportions, but there was one other ‘drought’ that did come to an end.

Heath Hocking’s 581-day wait to return to the field was put to rest.

The returning Bomber picked up ten possessions and laid three tackles in his comeback match.

“The way the weather was and how the game played out probably helped with the speed of the game not being as quick,” Hocking said.

“I had a little bit of time on the bench too which helped and I swapped forward.

“I found throughout the game I could keep up which was good.

“I’ve just got to obviously keep working on adapting to the way AFL footy is now.

“We’ve got a bit to work on but I’m just excited I got back to play a game of footy.”

Hocking became the eighth returning Bomber to don the sash this season.

He said waiting until round three was difficult but he enjoyed seeing his teammates return to the field.

“It was tough but I was definitely excited for the boys who I spent a lot of time with last year and we got to bond a fair bit,” Hocking said.

“It was great to see them play and then when I got the call up, the support they gave me was sensational.

“I couldn’t be happier with the way the boys helped me through the game and the week that led up to it.”

The Bombers lost to the Blues by 15 points with the extra man in the Carlton defence an influential factor in a match severely impacted by the conditions.

“They played the way they wanted to play and we couldn’t get the game on our terms,” Hocking said.

“We’d kick it forward and their spare would mark it, so we didn’t quite get that right.

“A lot of the times we were kicking to an outnumber, so that isn’t what we want to do.

“We’ll put our hands up and get better at that and help communicate that throughout the game.

“The effort was there from the players in tough conditions but there is still plenty to work on and that’s the exciting part.”

The Bombers face Adelaide on Saturday night.

He needs to tag and we need a tagger. Its pretty simple because apart from that he’s not best 22. He needs to shut down Sloane this week if he plays, otherwise pick someone else.

I don’t think he does either fog.
But he’s a good EFC man, he’s here to provide depth.

2 Likes

Don’t think you’re too far off the mark there Fog.
He’s one guy I think the year off will really negatively affect in regards to on field performance as he tends to need consecutive games at the highest level to regain/keep his ‘touch’.

1 Like