NRL 2021 - Cam Smith (GOAT?) Hangs 'em up

Hire the man for our strength and conditioning! Hardly missed a game from injury- freak!

1 Like

Hates losing, enough said, the man is a born winner. You’re buying whatever he’s selling.

Turn our players into tackling machines

Yep hire the bloke Essendon,Saints did it with Billy Slater

Three niggly one week shots in 400+ games over 18? years.

Uuhhh… yeah, you really proved a point there, Mr Someone.
Basically Jack the Ripper.

1 Like

Love the Storm.

1 Like

So good to be back.

1 Like

held on well. 18 from 18 in round 1 with Bellamy at the helm

Not as sharp as they were with Smith once Souths got going but still happy with the last quarter

1 Like

Missed Cam, but we’ll have to get used to that.
Missed Nelson a lot, too.

Yep.

Plenty with better skills & more damaging.

Just for the “we need this game won” factor. Throw him the ball = win the game, more often than not.

1 Like

I know it’s a tough game to play, but jeez League is ■■■■. I’ve tried to watch it, even living on the Gold Coast for 5 years without a whisper of AFL couldn’t help. The commentators lose their minds because the ball gets thrown sideways a little differently than the last time it got thrown sideways.

Why is it that folks North of the border consider Smith and Slater grubby players? I’ve heard them both labelled grubs by multiple friends from both Sydney and Newcastle.

Is it simply because they were so good?

Even so, that doesn’t make sense to me. I could label Nathan Buckley, as an example, lots of things but grub isn’t one that comes to mind.

What’s behind it? I’m not enough of an NRL follower to know one way or the other.

Sour grapes

2 Likes

Because QLD won every state of origin for a decade. So NSW people hate those QLD players.

1 Like

There’s a lot of resentment.
Not that I’m bothered that Inglis was not just one of the main people to benefit from the Storm’s imaginative accounting, but actually pushed for it, I find it instructive that no-one ever calls him on it.

I mean, good. They shouldn’t. Plenty of other clubs and players have done similar (and had nothing like the penalties), but that this guy who I wouldn’t know from a bar of soap singles out Smith for it is kind of lame.

In any case, the massive chip on his shoulder is clear in every line.

We don’t get much rugby league down here in little ol tas, being a FARKIN AUSSIE RULES LOVIN STATE GILL YOU FARKIN DILL, but from what we get on the idiot box then Cam is a dead set legend of the game. But, can you really trust someone who never seems to break into a sweat?

Eat a bag, Brisbane scum

Parochialism. In a way that melbourne AFL supporters really don’t do parochialism.

NRL is essentially a two-team town, where the smaller team (QLD) just keeps developing the better players and flogging the bigger one (NSW), when they’re really not meant to.

Almost every NSW commentator has a real problem with all the QLD guns, and especially the ones who never signed for a NSW club.

Think how popular Tredrea would be to Adelaide supporters. Cam Smith’s about 10 times better than that, and 10 times more resented for it.

1 Like

Keep in mind that Slater got booed the ■■■■ out of in his last game.
If Smith had done the Cronk thing, and he totally could have…could still next year, then he’d be much more warmly received.

1 Like

think it would depend, if he went to a Queensland side they would still hate him.
Sneak to a Raiders or Panthers though and it’s a different story.

1 Like