NRL Handle Things Differently to the AFL

Sharks in safe waters on premiership bid
	Date September 17, 2013

Adrian Proszenko and Michael Carayannis

art-svSHARKS-620x349.jpg

Cronulla players celebrate after defeating North Queensland on Saturday. Photo: Brendan Esposito

Cronulla will not be stripped of an inaugural premiership if it goes on to win the title this year, even if doping offences are proved to have occurred at the club in 2011.

The previous Sharks board sought - and was given - assurances from Australian Rugby League Commission officials in March that the club would not be penalised for its on-field performance in 2013, the caveat being that if there were any anti-doping violations, they were confined to the 2011 season.

The deal would be off the table if the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority found players had subsequently used prohibited substances. The meeting in question took place before the opening of the season, when Sharks officials feared their whole season could be for nought amid concerns several players - and potentially the whole club - could be disqualified from participating in the competition.

''My understanding was no points would be deducted if the actions were contained to the 2011 season,'' a Cronulla insider said.

Advertisement

Another added: ''We wanted the guarantee that if the players under question were left there, that we would not have our 2013 results disrupted. In broad terms, they promised that shouldn't be a problem if the conduct was limited to prior to this season.''

The NRL has the power to revoke premierships, as it did to Melbourne in April, 2010, after the Storm was found to have cheated the salary cap during its premiership success in 2007 and 2009.

While the NRL has any number of sanctions at its disposal, the old Cronulla board was told the Sharks would play for competition points during a series of meetings between the former board, senior NRL executives and the NRL Integrity Unit.

The revelation is a boost to the club, knowing it will be playing for keeps before Friday night's clash with Manly at Allianz Stadium.

ASADA has completed interviews with players of interest - including 11 from Cronulla - although a determination is not expected until after the grand final. It also means the ARLC will not have to make the agonising decision of again taking a title off a team and leaving the 2013 season with an asterisk in the history books.

The league has already begun ''doomsday scenario'' planning, and Fairfax Media revealed earlier this year that an internal draft was one of the options if a club's playing ranks were decimated.

The Sharks remain the only club not absolved of systemic doping and there remains the possibility that players may have been involved in anti-doping practices outside of the knowledge of club officials.

The Sharks have overcome all obstacles thrown at them during the year and can create history by lifting the Provan-Summons trophy on October 6.

http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/sharks-in-safe-waters-on-premiership-bid-20130916-2tv4l.html

#@$%  #@$%$ $% @$#%@% # $%@$%# %^@%$#

C'mon, we removed ourselves from finals remember? Can't blame the AFL for that.

The media were baying for blood down here, sounds like it may be a different story in Sydney.

The media were baying for blood down here, sounds like it may be a different story in Sydney.

Baying for blood, but whose agenda and why?

Lets not forget, we admitted to doing the wrong thing and were more than happy to cop all penalties. 

So Meh, good on the Sharks for fighting.

And the Sharks are about the LEAST stable club financillay in the NRL, so for them to say put up a fight makes us look a million times worse.

ASADA have nearly finished player interviews, a full month after they started in the NRL. Took them four months before they even started at Essendon. 

This whole thing... oh whatever. fark it. 

■■■■■■■ so angry again. Not that Cronulla are free to play finals. But the extent of the fuckup that was the ASADA AFL EFC situation. ■■■■■■■ bullshit. 

The thing about this is we've heard from NRL wankers (can't remember the main one) complaining about a mythical "deal" the AFL did with ASADA re. the EFC, when in the end they did more than a deal, the NRL have said to Cronulla, yep you're fine if found guilty or not. That is a ******* deal. Even if you win the flag and you're found guilty, you can keep it. 

Are we all just exhausted by this? Fairly big thing. Can anyone enlighten me, coz I'm just confused by this. 

(And quite obviously having trouble articulating myself.)

The thing about this is we've heard from NRL wankers (can't remember the main one) complaining about a mythical "deal" the AFL did with ASADA re. the EFC, when in the end they did more than a deal, the NRL have said to Cronulla, yep you're fine if found guilty or not. That is a ******* deal. Even if you win the flag and you're found guilty, you can keep it. 

Are we all just exhausted by this? Fairly big thing. Can anyone enlighten me, coz I'm just confused by this. 

All that says is we would have been better off in the NRL. Them's the breaks.

All that says is we would have been better off in the NRL. Them's the breaks.

All I can say is - Go Manly! B)

I think it makes sense to penalise the clubs for the results of the season they used banned substances in.

Just goes to show the power of the AFL and Vlad.

Actually I think it shows that the NRL and Cronulla haven't been prepared to undertake the forensic examination that the AFL and ourselves have undertaken. Heads in the sand if you like.

The problem with that is if Cronulla do happen to be successful this year and that it turns out that they have royally buggered themselves up, then they will be stripped of their success after the fact, which is potentially even more humiliating than what we are facing.

Least our slate is clean for 2014 and beyond. It remains to be seen if Cronulla suffers the same fate.

What's the public's opinion of us at the moment? Imagine if we won the flag this year.

Actually I think it shows that the NRL and Cronulla haven't been prepared to undertake the forensic examination that the AFL and ourselves have undertaken. Heads in the sand if you like.

The problem with that is if Cronulla do happen to be successful this year and that it turns out that they have royally buggered themselves up, then they will be stripped of their success after the fact, which is potentially even more humiliating than what we are facing.

Least our slate is clean for 2014 and beyond. It remains to be seen if Cronulla suffers the same fate.

You have got that one wrong Pazza.  Provided that the doping only occurred in 2011 (if it occurred at all) then what they win this year, they get to keep.  Points, premership, whatever, the lot.

If the players have used something that they shouldn't have the penalties will apply from the date that they are handed down ie after the finals.

"Cronulla will not be stripped of an inaugural premiership if it goes on to win the title this year, even if doping offences are proved to have occurred at the club in 2011.

The previous Sharks board sought - and was given - assurances from Australian Rugby League Commission officials in March that the club would not be penalised for its on-field performance in 2013, the caveat being that if there were any anti-doping violations, they were confined to the 2011 season".

No leaks to the media on the ASADA Cronulla investigation. It certainly wasn’t ASADA leaking information on EFC. The ACC seems not to be pursuing any leakages from its confidential report. Refused to comment on the purported leak while Hird’s writ was alive. Nothing to stop it now.

The AFL started and fueled the moral panic against one of its own foundation clubs. The NRL did its best to prevent the same kind of moral panic that could result with the SHARKS from getting out of hand.

Different management, different outcome. Simple.

The NRL have shown that the clubs are the most important asset whereas the AFL have displayed a distinct lack of respect to one of their foundation clubs.

Cronulla as a benchmark

The advantage of having Cronulla under investigation is that we have a benchmark as to how the investigation into the EFC could have been conducted. From my estimation, the following have not occurred in relation to Cronulla

1. Leaking to the media, particularly of testimony adverse to the club.

2. A joint investigation by the NRL and ASADA where there has been continuous commentary on likely penalties.

3. The release of a charge sheet prior to the ASADA report being finalised.

4. A purge of officials of the club.

5. Penalties, such as the removal of points, in a season in which the offences did not occur.

6. The ganging up of all the other clubs on Cronulla.

7. Continuous discussions of governance and disrepute, but not applied to the governing body.

Perhaps the NRL has more concern for not just the clubs that constitute it, but also the supporters who have supported it and will support it in the future. That appears to be the difference.

Cronulla as a benchmark

The advantage of having Cronulla under investigation is that we have a benchmark as to how the investigation into the EFC could have been conducted. From my estimation, the following have not occurred in relation to Cronulla

1. Leaking to the media, particularly of testimony adverse to the club.

2. A joint investigation by the NRL and ASADA where there has been continuous commentary on likely penalties.

3. The release of a charge sheet prior to the ASADA report being finalised.

4. A purge of officials of the club.

5. Penalties, such as the removal of points, in a season in which the offences did not occur.

6. The ganging up of all the other clubs on Cronulla.

7. Continuous discussions of governance and disrepute, but not applied to the governing body.

Perhaps the NRL has more concern for not just the clubs that constitute it, but also the supporters who have supported it and will support it in the future. That appears to be the difference.

Agree with all of the above except point 4 - they did purge/sack a number officials at the very start only to reinstate most/all later under a new chairman/management......perhaps they realised you shouldn't jump the gun on sacking people until you have all of the facts.......