Official EFC defeats West Co.ke Eagles. Fish kickin frenzy

Had a weekend away camping with no reception. Game was recorded on the IQ3 and all media avoided upon return to make sure I was able to watch the replay. After a 12 hour slumber, I settled in with a mixture of camp tummy (not sick but not great) and anxiety. Which team would turn up, how long could we sustain the effort, would this be worth the wait…

Oh boy, what a glorious start to the week! The first half was near perfect football in my opinion. It was hard, physically tough and every single player was working for the team. Yes there were some missed passes or opportunities but it was unrelenting. I honestly haven’t seen that level of attacking intent AND hardnose all team defence for at least a decade. The Eagles were routinely taken to ground with at least two, sometimes three, Bombers clamped on. The tackling was good against Geelong but this was another level from my view.

The inclusion of Stewart seemed obvious for most of us a while ago and the last two weeks have proven that to be correct. The addition of another mobile, tall target has been invaluable to create real space in our forward 50 and Stewarts work off the ball is exceptional. It allows JD to float further up the ground, or take regular runs in the ruck without damaging the set up. Hooker was clunking them and was dangerous up forward. Eagles defenders were unable to stop all three talls and there was always an EFC tall with a height advantage. We all know that you can fall into the trap of going in ‘too tall’ but we are getting away with it because all three key forwards are mobile and Stewart and JD are actually elite in the ‘mobility’ side of things.

Small forwards have been awesome from preseason and continue to be league leaders at defensive pressure and work across the ground. They all seemed to finally get some reward for effort and snagged a few goals each. I was particularly impressed with Green who was known as a bit of a ‘front runner with goal sense’ and very unfit when he arrived… he has genuinely transformed himself into a hard working defensive minded forward… still with a goal sense! I imagine it has been really hard for him to do so, especially when Walla and Fanta would take plenty of the limelight but I was very impressed.

I was full lid off before the season and yesterdays game was exactly why I had such high hopes. I’ve put the lid back on and even after this win, it will stay on for me but wow it was good to watch. The mixture of talls/shorts was right, the mix of strength on the ball and speed was right and I think we finally got that run off half back that we needed.The chemistry between Leuy and the mids really allowed us to dominate but we need to be able to do that against the better ruck divisions to truly take that next step.

Hurley has returned to beast mode and that first half was sublime. You can watch the replay and realise that every single contest he goes to, he wins and often convincingly. AA form and clearly the best defender. The inclusion of McKenna was something I supported but his turnovers by foot continue to be an issue, I was very worried after he shanked the first two… but then the rest of the game showed why Ivan and others have such faith. He was simply tremendous and showed when he NEEDS to be in the team ahead of Gleeson. Between McKenna and McGrath we looked zippy on the turnover and created so many scoring drives straight down the guts.

Finally the efforts of Zerrett, Watson, Heppell, Parish and Zaka were elite. I foolishly stated we had one of the best midfields on paper before the season started but finally I saw that potential played out on the field. They all had a field day and were just unrelenting. If they can keep that work rate, we could be near unstoppable during games. So much to like and I am (clearly) pretty pumped about it. Well done to the jeering of that assclown Mitchell and to the tremendous crowd support (helped to get at least 2 ‘hometown’ decisions imho). Bring on more good times!!

15 Likes

no hangover, win!

That was great. There is NOTHING better than beating them arseholes, people who live here will understand. That was the most even performance for years, and I didn’t see it coming. Pretty much all the returning players played a valuable role

Thoughts -

How lucky are we to have joe. Our talls work well and we often get a mismatch down there

Jobes best game this year

Zaharakis backed it up. He is so valuable in good form!

I thought Hartley struggled

McKenna is something. I don’t know what, I’m not sold he’ll make It, but imo he’s gotten better each week. He’s progressing nicely

I’m going to put money on zerrett for the Brownlow

Tippa is by far, FAR my favourite player. How awesome was him giving it to that fkn potato masten

Luey dominated but his opposition was garbage. His intensity was far better

None of hocking/howlett/Stanton will play much, at all, barring injury. All have been great servants but we have far more quality now

Footy is weird now. The competition is SO even. We’re gonna have bad days ie against the dees was terrible,but look at their form. Belt the crows in Adelaide, lose to north. Same with saints and freo, form fluctuates with young sides. It’s just part of the game now, Geelong another good example. We are gonna have a couple of frustrating losses but we are 100% setup in the right direction

I think we are good enough to play finals

8 Likes

I’m calling Joey the Marlin from now on

2 Likes

Should that be ‘roe on face’

6 Likes

From the Estonian broadcast site.

Yes. And they breast-feed their young.
:slight_smile:

LOL!!!

Edit, Meant to lol at whole post, :slight_smile: well done, Makes Monday mornings easy after a win.

1 Like

or …just a number 2

4 Likes

Team is building nicely. Belief is strong. Beat 2 top 4 teams to announce their finals credentials. When Essendon turn up with intent they play irresistible footy and they seem to be sustaining the effort for longer periods.

Their aggression at the ball / player is fierce with Tippa being the barometer in this area. Forward entries are extremely efficient, i.e. they don’t have to keep bombing the ball in with repeat entries. Their inside 50 average suits what they’re doing.

Zaharakis change in attitude has gone a long way to elevate the teams performance. Returning players are warming into the season.

Probably more than anything else, the Coach has a clear vision about the makeup of his team and it’s refreshing the older players aren’t getting games because of some misplaced sense of obligation

5 Likes

Aviary good point (if fish were birds, which they are not, but I don’t care, but I do care enough to type this caveat).

1 Like

After all that Salmon told us last week, you’d think he’d had enough…

You been hacked ATE?

1 Like

Looks like the whiting is on the wall for you blokes going crays-y.

There’s a plaice for this sort of thing, no matter how flathead you are by the attention and you flounder about.

I couda done better, but isn’t there a pun limit?

6 Likes

I don’t know if there is a limit but you sound like a total flake which is unusual for you.

1 Like

I think I’ve found the Russian broadcast:

2 Likes

Fixed

4 Likes

If fish were birds ,would they taste like chicken ?

2 Likes

The Triple M call of this game is sensational. Barry Denner and the other new bloke behind the mic are both Essendon supporters and joined by Fevola going off his nut. Good Monday listening.

4 Likes

How do we listen?

2 Likes

Yep… how do we listen.