Official EFC v GCS review thread

“CLEAR AIR”! Yet we get shafted by the maggots yet again.

The boys played well to get close in the dying minutes of the game.

There is no doubt the maggots clearly cost us this game with one of the most cheatingest displays in history.

Just that goal from Johnny Diesel when he came on
Ha! Funny I thought the same thing. Fanta looks like a young Johnny Diesel.

Considering his band name, maybe not the best nickname of all time.

Umpiring lotto happens across all games. Holding the ball, in the back, and play on, is a complete mystery as to which way they go. It has come die to a sequence of timing of the crowd noise seems to have a bearing

The colour of the jumper you are wearing seems to have a bearing too.

Mark ball haven't moved "PLAY ON"
If it’s good enough for Dean Rioli, it’s good enough for any of our players:

“You were THINKING about playing on!"

now it time to turn the tide other club start calling up radio station talking about buckley of collingwood the sacred cow saying thing
like can he coach,and why they are playing so bad with hardlly any injure

Mark ball
haven’t moved
“PLAY ON”

Just standing in the line waiting for the bus from the stadium, robbed!

Did anyone try and help you!

Just that goal from Johnny Diesel when he came on
Ha! Funny I thought the same thing. Fanta looks like a young Johnny Diesel.

On my earlier comment about the insane din in the closing seconds: sadly, the ABC Radio captured bugger-all crowd noise. The TV coverage was better but you could hear the siren so clearly it was nothing at all like being on the eastern wing.

I actually thought there were a few moments where it looked like we were playing with some good rhythm and flow. Still well below standard.

We were lucky that Gold Coast didn’t punish us with their foot speed (not that they had much of it themselves). We were also lucky Cooney held Gold Coast’s goal kicking training this week.

Our tackling intensity is severely poor.

Gave up too many easy contested marks in Gold Coast’s forward line.

Finally figured out who Laverde reminds me of. McPhee in his first year with us before his kicking went to ■■■■■. Never noticed it before.

Rather telling that during the injury break, Howlett did the talking while he was right next to Heppell.

So what? What’s to tell. Unforced skill errors is the main problem. Your comment about the tackling is wrong.

just watched the replay of the last couple of minutes. that mark dempsey took was on the edge of the centre square and miller followed him a full 5 meters into it before retreating 2 meters. 50 every single day of the week. shouldn't have done that, i'm ropeable again.

The problem is it’s not 50 every single day of the week. It ■■■■■■ well should be, but it’s not.

How often do you see someone mark on the lead, the defender’s “momentum” takes him 5 metres over the mark, the player turns around and tries to kick and the defender tries to smother without ever moving back? It happens all the time.

It’s a huge reason why scores are so far down over the past few years. The umpires are just giving way too much latitude to men on the mark. They’ll give them about 5 seconds to get back and if the guy with the ball tries to move it on before he’s back, they’ll just let him interfere from over the mark anyway.

Meanwhile an offensive player will get called to play on for moving 1mm to the left or right.

There are probably about 10 50m penalties a game that aren’t being called and the umps need to start calling them. Yeah, it’ll be ugly for a couple of weeks, but the players will learn to adjust quickly because they’ll have to.

Just clamping down on this would open up the game massively and make skill and quick ball movement more important than it currently is.

Maybe we should have beaten a pretty depleted side.
But it’s been a long time since we’ve had an exciting last qtr!

Can the experiment of trying to turn Melksham into an AFL level player please end. He has had over 100 games and is still rubbish.

Please trade or delist him. Its embarrassing watching him run around in an essendon jumper

Umpiring lotto happens across all games. Holding the ball, in the back, and play on, is a complete mystery as to which way they go. It has come die to a sequence of timing of the crowd noise seems to have a bearing

just watched the replay of the last couple of minutes. that mark dempsey talk was on the edge of the centre square and miller followed him a full 5 meters into before retreating 2 meters. 50 every single day of the week. shouldn't have done that, i'm ropable again.

I remember that. I started cheering the goal Dempsey was gonna kick it was friggin obvious

The fans were great! Kudos to you all. I think the umpiring cost us giving them 2 blatant goals in the first quarter the push out mark to Lynch on Heppell was obvious, the non mark to Stanton was mystifying.

The boys had a crack today, hope we give the tigs a real scare next week!

EDIT: Like plenty of others, I just do not understand the calling of play on if it is an Essendon mark outside of the forward line, to my understanding, there should be 8 seconds before play on is called. We seem to get about 4 without any noticeable moving off the line. I can only say that I don’t notice similar treatment of our opposition in our games.

the umps have been calling us for looking off the mark if we are sideways for about 6 weeks now, it is absolute horseshit. the one edwards copped at the end of the third quarter was a joke

It was all so frustrating. Bad umpiring, bad luck, bad bounce of the ball, some bad disposal…

Yet we nearly pinched it. I was pleased with the four quarter effort, but was disappointed the boys couldn’t get a win. They deserved one.

just watched the replay of the last couple of minutes. that mark dempsey took was on the edge of the centre square and miller followed him a full 5 meters into it before retreating 2 meters. 50 every single day of the week. shouldn’t have done that, i’m ropeable again.

The problem is not so much that the goal umpire may have made a mistake with the Hurley decision but that they don't have goal-line cameras at Carrara so they couldn't accurately review the decision even if they wanted to. The AFL just made $2.5 billion on the TV rights deal yet they're still trying to save a few thousand dollars by not installing what should be standard technology in every stadium. ■■■■■■■ bush league.

Cant chance a loss for the factory team by supplying cameras to disprove a deliberatley home team biased 50/50 call.

Wow only 4 pages for a game review! I watched the game yesterday and it was the most emotionally disconencted I think I have ever been from an Essendon game in my entire life. Just that goal from Johnny Diesel when he came on, and a tiny little flutter near the end when Jake Carlilse nearly boosted his trade currency a bit more. That's my game review

You never told us about the cupboard thing at your school, maybe it’s time.