Old people don't understand the Internet

Or you can use DNSCrypt.

Vlc media player?

Can you get that on Mac?

Yes

Private phone and internet metadata collected under the Governmentā€™s data retention scheme could be used in divorce cases or to combat internet piracy, law experts have warned, as the telecommunications industry launches a fresh push to change the laws.

The data retention scheme was announced in 2014 as part of the Abbott governmentā€™s efforts to combat terrorism.

It requires internet service providers and phone companies to retain their customersā€™ metadata for a period of two years, including a range of phone, email and internet records.

The Government has launched a review into whether to allow the information collected to be used in civil cases, not just terrorism-related investigations.

Wouldnā€™t that backfire for the rich social elite men?

Wouldn't that backfire for the rich social elite men?

and pollies

Re: the heading

Old people donā€™t understand the Internet

What do you think we have grandchildren for?

And of course you have to add that it was ā€˜old peopleā€™ who invented the internet.

Private phone and internet metadata collected under the Government's data retention scheme could be used in divorce cases or to combat internet piracy, law experts have warned, as the telecommunications industry launches a fresh push to change the laws.

The data retention scheme was announced in 2014 as part of the Abbott governmentā€™s efforts to combat terrorism.

It requires internet service providers and phone companies to retain their customersā€™ metadata for a period of two years, including a range of phone, email and internet records.

The Government has launched a review into whether to allow the information collected to be used in civil cases, not just terrorism-related investigations.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-05/telco-industry-pushes-for-metadata-collection-changes/8162896

This from ā€˜wont release my diaryā€™ Brandis?

Yep, in actual fact, the people that understand it best are all old, ā€¦ Steve Jobs aside.

And of course you have to add that it was ā€˜old peopleā€™ who invented the internet.

Politicians clearly beg to differ.

Al Gore is old and he created the internet.

Al Gore is old and he created the internet.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BnFJ8cHAlco

Meant to quote bsd. Just decided to roll with it

That makes sense.

I too was going to say thereā€™s a number of pollies the world over now, who all claim to have invented it, ā€¦ & theyā€™re all old.

But I couldnā€™t remember any other names bar Gore.

(I was pretty sure I remembered one in Oz who made a similar claim ā€¦ KRudd came to mind, ā€¦ was it?)

That makes sense.

I too was going to say thereā€™s a number of pollies the world over now, who all claim to have invented it, ā€¦ & their all old.

But I couldnā€™t remember any other names bar Gore.

(I was pretty sure I remembered one in Oz who made a similar claim ā€¦ KRudd came to mind, ā€¦ was it?)

Abbott said Turdball ā€œalmost invented the internetā€, whatever that means. But apparently it qualified him to gut the NBN

And I thought it was Tim Berners-Lee.

So, I have a question for those in the know, ā€¦ Iā€™m getting a 15 inch Notebook, a couple of years old off my nephew, his Yr 12 one.

One dilemma, ā€¦he canā€™t remember the password to get into it.

Can I, a), Just put another HDD in it with pre loaded OS programs files etc, and fire it up??

Or, can I get into it somehow through safe mode, and re format the drive in it, and re install the OS?

Or, am I totally screwed with it, without the Password?

Thanks in advance.

You can wipe it if you reinstall windows anyway. Password or no password.

1 Like

Iā€™ve just started using Ethernet cables instead of wi fi, as I think something about wi fi was borking the comp when I am streaming, & it seems to have helped, ā€¦ butā€¦

It seems really odd, that you canā€™t just disconnect from the net when you want, as you can with any other form of connection Iā€™ve ever used uo until now.

Is there a way to just ā€œclick offā€?

Or is it somehow still a dark ages ā€œUnplug the Cableā€ MO that is still the go to choice?

Why would you?

Why would I what? Disconnect?

Might be my luditeness coming to bear, ā€¦ but I find that an odd question.

Is it de rigueur to just stay online all the time now is it?