Old people don't understand the Internet

Quoted Post

I'm not defending piracy, but the idea that one download = one lost cinema attendance is completely false. My friend didn't download that movie, but even if he did there is no way in hell that was a factor in him not seeing that film at the cinema.

He did download two other films…after he’d seen them at the cinema. Hasn’t watched them again yet. Not sure how that affects the film company’s bottom line. I’m guessing not at all. He sure as hell wouldn’t have said, ‘Oh…this film isn’t available to download illegally, I guess I’ll buy the dvd for $30 in six months.’

The film companies claim lost revenue yet their revenue continues to outstrip the revenue of most other companies.

The only people who get ripped off are the lowly paid extras, film crew and assistants…and they are ripped off by the very industry they work for.

Well while I don’t really give a toss, piracy of films is theft and illegal. Not sure how anyone can not accept that.

I have just learned how to use Pirate Bay, and to convert my massive external hard drive to FAT32 format so I can directly watch these avi and mp4 files on my TV, and have NBN so downloads are quick and I now have about 150 movies lined up to watch.

However, it will cost someone money and maybe jobs, as Wife and I have been regular movie goers at Kino and Carlton Palace for years, and even occasional jaunts to Village Crown. Now I can find movies before they reach our shores, so why would I go.

More money for Bombers I guess.

Quoted Post

Well while I don't really give a toss, piracy of films is theft and illegal. Not sure how anyone can not accept that.

I have just learned how to use Pirate Bay, and to convert my massive external hard drive to FAT32 format so I can directly watch these avi and mp4 files on my TV, and have NBN so downloads are quick and I now have about 150 movies lined up to watch.

However, it will cost someone money and maybe jobs, as Wife and I have been regular movie goers at Kino and Carlton Palace for years, and even occasional jaunts to Village Crown. Now I can find movies before they reach our shores, so why would I go.

I still prefer to go to the movies for films. Download the heck out of TV shows and doco's though but I have top-level Foxtel so I justify it that way.

There is no justification, its you want it you get it, no other reason. Like simmo said, im not condemning you just you can’t justify it at all.

No one is justifying it specifically so not sure why the high horse carry on?

People are discussing why it happens, the causes, and how it could be fixed to reduce the issue.

Quoted Post

There is no justification, its you want it you get it, no other reason. Like simmo said, im not condemning you just you can't justify it at all.

This is correct.

It’s also true that I’d spend way more money on movies and TV shows if they were more readily available. I spend stacks on iTunes movie rentals each year.

Quoted Post

No one is justifying it specifically so not sure why the high horse carry on?

People are discussing why it happens, the causes, and how it could be fixed to reduce the issue.

‘i have foxtel justify it that way’

‘more money for bombers i guess’

and you’re fooling yourself if you think im on a high horse.

Quoted Post

Well while I don't really give a toss, piracy of films is theft and illegal. Not sure how anyone can not accept that.

Copying a movie/TV show off the TV and giving to a friend to watch is also piracy, most people do that as well.

Lol at justifying. The corporations dodge their tax, I dodge their charges. Simple, and effective for both of us.

So can someone suggest to me how I can watch New Girl? I think it is on FTA but late at night so can I just record it and watch it later? Isn’t that the same thing? FTA station has already paid for the rights to show it, I won’t be watching it because it is too late so the advertisers who pay to be shown during that show aren’t getting their value anyway.

Should I stay up until 11:30pm and watch it?

Quoted Post

So can someone suggest to me how I can watch New Girl? I think it is on FTA but late at night so can I just record it and watch it later? Isn't that the same thing? FTA station has already paid for the rights to show it, I won't be watching it because it is too late so the advertisers who pay to be shown during that show aren't getting their value anyway.

You are legally allowed to tape a show from TV to watch for personal use, you cannot share it with others.

No idea if I’m in the minority here or not but I reckon I’ve spent more money on music, movies and TV shows since I’ve been borrowing stuff from the internet. Because I’ll go and buy the stuff I like after watching it. 99% of my collection is probably stuff I’ve downloaded before. I like to feel like I’m supporting the people who create things I enjoy.

So in my case, piracy has made me spend more money than I would have otherwise. I’m not one to just go and spend $30-$50 on a season of a TV show I’ve never seen before for example.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
So can someone suggest to me how I can watch New Girl? I think it is on FTA but late at night so can I just record it and watch it later? Isn't that the same thing? FTA station has already paid for the rights to show it, I won't be watching it because it is too late so the advertisers who pay to be shown during that show aren't getting their value anyway.

You are legally allowed to tape a show from TV to watch for personal use, you cannot share it with others.

So what’s the difference if I download it for personal use? I’ll still be watching it the next day. Suppose I will have to FF the commercials whereas there won’t be any commercials when I am downloading.

If companies are going to charge grandmothers thousands of dollars because their granddaughters downloaded something than I will say it’s morally acceptable to “steal” from those companies. If they are going to claim thousands in “damages” for anyone downloading a torrent than I again say it’s morally acceptable to steal from them also.

I have a bunch of TV shows that I purchased on DVD. I also have downloaded copies of those, because I want to be able to watch those shows on the train on the way to/from work. It’s far easier for me to just download a torrent than it is to rip the DVD’s myself. Is that morally justified? I paid for the product. That their ridiculous “you purchased a licence to play this DVD” model makes them think they can claim I stole it does not make them right.

Instead of fighting piracy they should embrace it. Distribution can take care of itself, they then just worry about how to charge for it. Imagine a world where instead of punishing people for sharing they were able to incorporate charging into the P2P model and actually reward people for distributing their content. ■■■■ off Netflix, Foxtel and all the other middlemen. Charge a fair price for the product that encourages people to consume it, and doesn’t force people into subscriptions, contracts, etc.

And ■■■■ off these rights holding companies who don’t produce content, they just buy up copyrights cheap after the main revenue generation has been done or inherit them and then start suing people for infringing. Whether it’s patent trolls, Larrikin Music or the siblings of Marvin Gaye: ■■■■ 'em all. If content producers want their intellectual property protected they should be fighting againt jerks like this who dilute its meaning.

Oh and there is no moral difference between using time shifting to skip ad’s in commercial broadcasts and pirating. Viewing the ads is the “cost” of viewing the product so skipping them means you ain’t paying for your content.

Quoted Post

nope, not illegal. http://anyany.info/articles/29/10/2013/you-could-download-a-handbag-an-australian-piracy-primer

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

nope, not illegal. http://anyany.info/articles/29/10/2013/you-could-download-a-handbag-an-australian-piracy-primer

Yep, all they can do is sue for damages

Quoted Post

No idea if I'm in the minority here or not but I reckon I've spent more money on music, movies and TV shows since I've been borrowing stuff from the internet. Because I'll go and buy the stuff I like after watching it. 99% of my collection is probably stuff I've downloaded before. I like to feel like I'm supporting the people who create things I enjoy.

So in my case, piracy has made me spend more money than I would have otherwise. I’m not one to just go and spend $30-$50 on a season of a TV show I’ve never seen before for example.

Agreed, particularly with music. I’ll download it for free to see if it’s to my taste, then whip out and buy a physical copy. If I think it’s crap then I’ll delete it.

Quoted Post
No idea if I'm in the minority here or not but I reckon I've spent more money on music, movies and TV shows since I've been borrowing stuff from the internet. Because I'll go and buy the stuff I like after watching it. 99% of my collection is probably stuff I've downloaded before. I like to feel like I'm supporting the people who create things I enjoy.

Agreed, particularly with music. I’ll download it for free to see if it’s to my taste, then whip out and buy a physical copy. If I think it’s crap then I’ll delete it.

I’ve moved to online streaming for music. Was on Sony unlimited till it was shut down so now onto Spotify. Sure the quality isn’t quite the same as a CD but you go and buy those you really want anyway right? As a purist who owns over 1000+ cds you do get over the fact fairly quickly that it’s no longer your ‘collection’.

Online streaming for movies / tv will get their act together and end up being the all in one solution. Having multiple accounts for mulitple streams because movie A is only on B but movie D is only on E will get tiring.

To me what tv and movies studios need to get over is the ‘new’ pricing on ‘new’ releases. They are pretty much slugging that fans of their merchandise (generally early adopters) for buying early while really buying early means they were probably waiting already for 6 / 12 months. Same with video game companies as well.

Last but not least given we have so much we can now take home with us the value of buying a cd / dvd / bluray / game is lower than it used to be in the past. We used to watch a piece of media many more times than we do now simply because there is no much more available. Things used to come out in limited release when things appeared on VHS or Vinyl but these days that limitation is gone meaning you always pretty much have everything ever created at your fingertips, thus, the desire to watch something multiple times has gone.

It’s an industry that really won’t listen to, or won’t buy into how the modern consumer takes in their products and until they face this piracy won’t disappear.

would pay 20 a month for consolidated tv, movies and music.