Operation Human Shiel

I wonder if Kingy has finally found a suit that fits him properly

Operation Nosey Parker on his way direct from the Nose Beers Club

1 Like

Yeah but imagine how normal your guns and chest look when you don’t buy the size down. Come on.

Exactly

I agree with king’s article. Coniglio, Kelly, ward and probably Whitfield have gone past Shiel this year. There’s no shame in that, them 4 are A grade talent.

Shiel, like Smith, will benefit from a move. I suspect pick 8 gets it done

5 Likes

And I agree with you both. Wouldn’t part with more than pick 8 for Shiel. Just hope we don’t cripple our salary cap position in competing with the likes of St Kilda and Carlton.

Much prefer Gaff if he is at all still an option.

Shiel holds himself like a bit of a figjam, probably can’t be helped that he looks like Ben Affleck but he seems to have an aloofness that I can’t get around. Resembles Judd a bit in his movement and physical demeanour but I don’t think I’ve ever seen him be more than just clinical. Which is not a bad thing…I’m just not seeing game changer. I also look forward to celebrating our aloof clinician as he calmly delivers a fourth to Joedan’s highest point. In the first quarter of Anzac Day.

1 Like

Hey WOB, any new mail on Gaff?

One of the things I was hearing last year when we were after Smith was that he was a bit of a FIGJAM and has a high opinion of himself. If so, I have no complaints with how he’s gone about it this year. I’d take Shiel in a heartbeat. A player like him that can win the inside ball and break away from stoppage is rare in today’s game. Only a handful of players have that trait in the AFL. Dusty, Danger, maybe a few others but that’s all I can think of right now.

1 Like

It does seem he is a bit of a butcher with the ball. Strange, because his kicking action looks really pure.

Might end up being more Taylor Adams than Adam Treloar.

1 Like

I would challenge that based on Champion Datas own numbers for the games in this finals series at least.
Against collingwood it shows Shiel and Coniglio played same as average. Ward was down.

In the Sydney game, Conniglio and Shiel were both above average, Ward was slightly down.

I think they are expecting too much, because they were watching his every move.

If we look at his long term, right now they rate him as the #3 player at GWS, In mid 2016 he peaked, and was #1 at the club, whereas he is lucky to be inside the top 50 players and would be roughly equivalent to Zac Merret / Dyson Heppell, so it is a serious increase in quality in our midfield , not even allowing for the honeymoon effect of a change of club, return to Melbourne etc etc . I would hesitate to pay him much more than Zac or Dyson tbh.

3 Likes

Why would you choose Essendon over other Victorian clubs

• Spongy floors
  • Great training facilities
  • 2 new training grounds MCG/Marvel size
  • Paul Little Private jet
  • Ability to win B & F (Smith might win it first year here)
  • Big Club
  • Fans
  • Marquee games
  • Good young talent in the squad now coming through
1 Like

Is that a positive?

Why would it be a negative?

Might be a bit of a surprise this year, Tommy is a serious threat to win the Crichton imo.

1 Like

Because it might suggest the talent on our list is limited if Smith waltz’s in and wins one

Not that i think that

I was more suggesting its a even group lots of good players.
Merrett/Daniher/Heppell/Zaharakis/Hooker/BJ/ all past winners.
I think its a good thing. Better than having 1 gun win year on year and rest of players aren’t really a chance.
But if it was Shiel/Gaff coming in you would give them a reasonable chance.

equally it suggests that if you come to Essendon we’ll make you a better player - Smith had his career best year this year.

1 Like

i agree with you both. Just giving the alternate view

1 Like

Nah. It just reinforces that Smith was an elite prospect hampered by a few injuries and a ridiculous crop of midfield talent on that list.

The fascinating thing is that his defensive pressure was always evident but GWS didn’t seem to value it enough. Yet brought in De Boer.