Operation Human Shiel

Devils advocate here, but are Smith’s tackle numbers so high because he’s second to the ball a lot?

You say that like it’s a bad thing to pander to the AFL’s view on umpiring.

1 Like

Sofa, so good.

14 Likes

I’m on the Gaff + Setterfield train now, Shiel has the talent to play a lot better than he has in recent weeks, but I have cooled a bit on him too.

I’d be happy securing a mid or two. There will be clubs (Norf) who may end up with just about nothing.

Nope

200px-Otto_from_the_Simpsons

1 Like

Smith wanted to play mid and finally got a chance to play as a mid. Something GWS didn’t give him. So Essendon are getting the best out of Smith with him playing in his best position.

Shiel plays mid, and presumably that is where he wants to play and is where he plays his best footy. So his position is not going to be a new thing. What will be interesting to see (if he is actually ours of course) is whether Shiel remains as good or will he be even better if he plays at Essendon. It’ll be a different set of team mates and different style of play. As a recruit he’ll have a different set of pressures and expectations. The 3 S came in and all did well. Reckon we have a good set up to fit a big recruit in and get them playing well - be it Shiel or Gaff or who/if we trade. Last year’s trade gives one confidence there is a clear plan on what we want regarding player and game style. It also gives us the confidence we can land a deal or two (or 3).

1 Like

Shiel, Scully and Setterfield still on the cards!!!

2 Likes

It’s a good point.

The three SSS were value picks in a way, as we thought we could get more out of them than their current clubs and were successful.

Most of the names getting thrown around this year are not value picks at all.

2 Likes

No chance imo. Missing 2 games pretty much rules him out. I’d say he’ll be in the 6-10 range

Yeah, I was hoping we could snare Brad Crouch as our value pick this year but Aceman has doused that hope saying Adelaide would want pick 8. Oh well.

Shiel had his best year, including AA honours, when he played inside and more of “the man” due to a host of injuries to other players. Since then he’s been played more outside. He may very well see coming to us as a chance to play in his best position.

3 Likes

Watched the Giants v Collingwood game just to check Shiel out. Thought exactly the same thing. No trouble getting the ball, but my oh my, his disposal was ordinary.

1 Like

I rate that. Dad joke, but rated. :-))

Not even sure what that’s meant to mean to be honest.

another view is that he is first to the opposition player with the ball

2 Likes

Totally agree with this, I see him as an inside ball winner with enough pace and strength to burst out of a pack.

Stringer is the only guy we have with this ability at the moment.

15 Likes

Talk to me Revie.

1 Like