Operation Human Shiel

I’m impressed with Shiel’s professionalism, discipline, and planning during the process tbh. I probably shouldn’t have been surprised given how he approaches his footy, but he seems to have been extremely methodical about it all.

Fark Carlton really took the wrong pitch when they tried to bewilder him with glitz it seems.

48 Likes

Unlike Carlton.

2 Likes

sounds familiar…

PS. Hi Robbo, thanks for the article :slight_smile:

No mention of Worsfold in the article. Surely he played some part?

2 Likes

Worsefold flew to Sydney to chat with him

1 Like

Yeah, you’d think so. He’d have met with Woosh, surely.

1 Like

It does demonstrate how bad a people person / manager SOS is.

Management 101 is learning how to understand what motivates people in an attempt to get the best out of them.

SOS, after spending so much time with this kid, went glitz and glamour pitch when all he is concerned with is integrity and success. Even contract value was low on his list of priorities.

I guess FCFC have no integrity or possibility of success and so all they had was the glitz.

7 Likes

That article is rather too literate for Robbo. Perhaps Conners dictated it.

5 Likes

Other possibility of course is that SOS remembers the 21yo (or whatever) Shiel from his time at GWS, but the 26yo Shiel has matured and has different priorities.

2 Likes

Sorry left the coffeee shop.

Sounds like Fark Carlton treated him like a fanboy and thought having his childhood idols entertain him would win him over. Serious underestimation.

1 Like

Pretty sure Kevin’s Sheedy would have had some part in his signing too.

2 Likes

The best thing I took out of that was that Shiel wasn’t happy with the role he was playing at GWS and he wants to be the best player in the midfield.

Would explain why he was slightly down on usual output this year.

He will be back to elite status next year and will be our main man!

21 Likes

There’s no arguments from us… 90% midfield time.

Go for it.

3 Likes

How much for a Crazy Machination.

1 Like

It will be interesting to see if Woosha continues with the “rotate numbers through the midfield” facet of the game plan, now we have enough elite midfielders and the option to give Shiel lots of midfield time at the expense of Tippa, Fanta and maybe even Stringer who had shown a lot of promise as a big body mid, but lacked the tank.

1 Like

Interesting they didn’t talk about Devon Smith in the article.

That played a bigger role than most people think.

We all know that job interviews and sales meetings can be quite fake. They’re usually structured, awkward and filled with useless conversations.

Having a friend who you can have a candid conversation with, about the day to day running of the club, without any bulls*t is important.

29 Likes

Go back

Thanks Jimmy Hird!

After everything he’s been through he’s still pitching for us.

Great man

32 Likes

Good point.

Motivations for most people don’t change, although if it is going to it would be between the age 21-26. I can certainly understand why a gun footballer, on great money, would be less motivated by money as a 26 year old.