Operation Human Shiel

No. But if you’re Hawthorn…

1 Like

Hopefully that’s another step to rebuilding a reputation destroyed by a bunch of cowards. Sacrificed a good man to the point of killing him quite literally. And in that group I’m including their minions Smith, Wilson et al.
Someone needs to start a thread about this very topic.

3 Likes

Thought so. Thanks.

The ‘ban Hird for life’ brigade will hate this.

Not only is he not banned for life, he’s actively helping the club with trades.

Just wait for outrage

5 Likes

That bikies moll from the age will try her best.

3 Likes

Martin is barely worth a 2nd round pick - Wow !

Disagree

1 Like

Yes I read that Hird helped in getting Shiel to nominate us…and it reinforces my view that James Hird is and always will be a legend of our club…a great man and bleeds red and black

42 Likes

The club should just nominate him for board, FARK the haters

7 Likes

I enjoyed the swear-filter bork on this line.

10 Likes

As far away as possible please.

1 Like

Dozens of ways for this to play out and I hope Disco is looking outside the box. I’d seriously be chatting to the Crows and offering up pick 9 for their pick 16 and their future first.
16 and either ours or the Crows future firsts for Shiel and we go into next years draft with a full compliment.

7 Likes

You have no fear do you

Assuming that’s how it happened, then Shiel is very very impressive by how carefully and thoroughly he went about making this decision. Not sure how that compares to other players but he is very serious about what he wants to achieve from his football career (rather than just the $$$, which he can assume who ever he picked was not going to leave him short of a quid).

It also impressed me that the opportunity Essendon offered impressed him the most. That gives one hope.

Finally, for Shiel to call the other clubs himself rather than leave it to his manager or dump them by a text with an emoji, says a lot about him as a person who faces the hard decisions himself and does not shirk the hard and awkward stuff.

Very impressive individual who will lift the drive and professionalism shown by Heppell, Merrett, Smith.

13 Likes

A couple of days ago, I similarly suggested a pick swap like this with Adelaide, to stay in front of Port…but now that Port has jumped in front of our pick, I feel like our pick has been devalued in this battle of one-upmanship for the South Australian draftees.

Only way I see our pick being of value to them, is if one arms race forms for Lukosius/Rankine/Rozee…and a secondary battle also forms for say Hately (who seems to be rated closer to our pick).

Moving on…I think the best pick swap idea I can recall reading recently is WC…trying to get a pick around about ours to send to GEEL for Kelly.

And I also wonder about NM optimising their points hand…after Bailey Scott nominated them, they now have to position their picks optimally for both Tarryn Thomas and Bailey Scott…have they given up on any aspiration of having a pick before those nominations?..I don’t know…I’m just enjoying spit-balling…:slight_smile:

Yeah, but you’d have to get GWS to go for that and they may just want pick 9 (and other later pick) instead of two first rounders in the teens. I guess they could gamble on us or the Crows not doing so well next year, and if they choose right get 16 and a top 10. But if they choose wrong (or if we both shoot up the ladder) they could end with no top 10 pick for a proven high quality player, and I don’t think they’d like that.

Of course it also depends how they rate the two drafts, if they think the top 10 this years is very even then pick 9 might look far more attractive than an extra first next year.

Crows could also offer up pick 9 with their first to the Suns for 2 or 3

Thinking from a new angle…Sydney currently have picks 26, 33, 38, 39, 40…I don’t know whether that is logical…they might have been positioning to get Langdon…and rookie Ronke might be upgraded, which is one less spot?..what if one of those picks was surplus to needs, and so they wanted to shift that value into the 2019 year…maybe we could trade them our 2019 third rounder, in return for one of those earlier picks in this 2018 draft.

I’m just trying to upgrade our future third rounder into something that smells better.

Alternatively, try to interest them in Hartley for one of those picks. :slight_smile:

Hird’s involvement makes me wonder what role he has at the club. I knew he was mentoring some of the players but this feels like he is involved in a much more intimate way. He’s obviously privy to confidential recruitment information and has the club’s blessing to contact potential recruits. Happy days.

8 Likes

This ■■■■ doesn’t take courage

3 Likes