Operation Human Shiel

I’d settle for a second and third on the proviso that one of the seconds is Fark Carlton’s 2019 second.

So many feeble souls in here doing their own heads in over the deal falling over & McCartney trying to get one back on us.

GWS naturally expected to ask high but they aren’t really holding the power given the F/A scenario next year and salary cap pressure, they actively pushed him to look at options elsewhere.

Freo has asked for two first for Neale. Won’t happen. As per Dees and Hogan. Won’t happen. It appears as though it’ll just be a pick 5 ring-a-ring-a-rosie to GC for May.

2 Likes

I don’t see a problem with giving up 2 firsts as long as we get back something decent. Eg GWS first from this year or Carlton’s second from next year

Geez I am glad none of you are negotiating on our behalf. You would crap the bed if McCartney didn’t do a cartwheel in response to your first offer.

I think people are too anxious to see a deal done and ignoring some critical facts:

• GWS suggested he explore his options (or at least didn’t say that he shouldn’t).

• GWS cannot afford his salary on their books next year. Yes, they may be losing Scully, Lobb and Setterfield but Shiel would have the heftiest salary of those guys by some margin.

• GWS will receive a single pick (likely 10+) if he leaves as a free agent next year. This is the year to cash in.

• Treloar is a pretty bad reference point given he was 21 when traded - and that’s putting aside the fact that a second rounder came back to Collingwood.

• Shiel has publically nominated Essendon. He is a client of Connors who would not let a deal for one of his clients fall through.

A trade will get done. It won’t be two first rounders on their own (and I doubt our 2019 first rounder will be involved).

And potential Brownlow medalist? He is a very good player but that is a quantum leap. I guess every player is a potential Brownlow medalist.

11 Likes

GWS did give us two second rounders back when we got Dev Smith. Only cost us a first and a third.

It’s not that ridiculous.

Smith was out of contract and his value (at the time) wasn’t regarded as anywhere near that of Shiel. The value was said to be around a late 1st round pick for Smith, or later. Shiel is worth minimum 1st and a 2nd, likely more. So yeah, it’s pretty ridiculous. Giants would be better off taking Pick 9 + 2nd rounder than giving back 3x 2nds.

Who on our list would want to go and play for GWS?
How can 1 of our footy players say sorry Woosha don’t want to play on ANZAC day, Dreamtime @G or any other blockbuster games…I want to go play for Canberra.

The more I think about it, the more I can’t believe we’d do a Judd on Shiel.
Even if we didn’t go to the draft, which would be fine, there are so many other big fish in the sea this year for just one first round pick.

1 Like

I think the two firsts will happen it’s what comes back with shiel that will be the discussion. Trelor was pick 28 back. I’d like to see something in the first round this year come back as part of the deal.

1 Like

All the supposed grandstanding is just an AFL sales ploy. It would been an odd tactic by McCartney. If the trade did actually fall through, they keep a bloke on their list who wants out and are made look like jerks.

Worse still for GWS is that Shiel’s trade value will decrease in 12 months due to being out of contract.

A first and a second. It’ll happen if it hasn’t already.

Had enough of the ■■■■■■ AFL and trade week. Shiel will be at Carlton or Hawthorn next season and Essendon will have completely wasted this year’s trade period. Stuff it all. No more, please!

We didn’t give up a forward that was a top 5 in the national draft, play him for a year, then offloaded him as steak knives in a deal to cement a midfielder.

If a good player has the tank to play >90% game time as an inside midfielder, he will poll well at the Brownlow. At Essendon, only Zach and Hepp got maximum game time on the ball. The rare combination of power athlete, to break out of and accelerate away from stoppages ( Shiel) and massive tank to play on the ball for most of the game (Shiel ??) would make Shiel seriously a potential Brownlow Medalist . However, will Woosha give him the chance given the numbers we have rotated through the midfield this year? **

** Assuming the trade gets done.

Who knows what a top 18 draft pick next year will be.
Could very easily be the next Kennedy.

Nope, nope, nope, and furthermore, nope.

GC has had every draft pick under the sun.
They have manage to do jackshit.
They are now scrambling for matureage and players to play on their list. Their list is not much better than our top up year. We have the players now lets get some more muscle, stringer, shiel…

That would be a reasonable point if we were trading with GC.
How have GWS done with identifying top end talent?

With all the talent identifying they haven’t made it to a GF. They have been top3 or 4 favorites for the past 4 years…haven’t gone on with the job.

Any 1 feels that Norf are doing a similar job in the trades as Port did last year? Mediocre club securing mediocre talent.

2 Likes

So you’re saying Shiel isn’t worth two first rounds.
Glad we got there in the end.

1 Like

i don’t think he’s worth two first rounders either.

i think he’s worth THREE.