Operation Human Shiel

and just on your avatar - that cloning experiment has gone a tad off track. Still a good outcome.

2 Likes

I interpreted the post as meaning just the opposite: Buddy is providing good service to his new club (and plenty of publicity which is what the Swans need) while Boyd is playing in the VFL.

1 Like

It’s a trial and error thing. I think he needs more Thymosin.

Lel
Thanks diggers

Given we have been after a player like Shiel for at least the last 5 years and have consistently been unable to pick up a similar type in the draft (even with a number of first round picks) makes me comfortable that we didnt overpay…

2 Likes

If you think Boyd has provided better value for money to his club this year, then … “lel”

1 Like

One club has a flag with their over priced new recruit. The other does not. That is all. Nothing else matters.

6 Likes

Overkill. Just sit down with potential team-mates at a good coffee shop and see whether you like them as people. Shiel grew up in Aspendale. Forget the Fark Carlton Judd style wine snobbery. The more I hear the more I like Dylan Shiel.

3. Carlton serenades Shiel

The Blues pulled out all stops to try to lure in-demand ex-Giant Dylan Shiel, including flying him and agent to the stars, Paul Connors, to Noosa on a private jet. The whispers suggest the courting was well stocked with champagne and Carlton presented Shiel with a Navy Blue jumper and a bottle of Grange. It wasn’t enough, with the 2017 All Australian choosing the Bombers over the Blues, Hawks and Saints.

6 Likes

By your standards Sean Denham was a bigger recruiting coup than Goddard. But that’s bullshit

1 Like

I don’t know, did we give Sean Denham a 9yr deal and pay him 10% of our salary cap because we thought he was the missing piece of the premiership puzzle?

Honestly, what a ■■■■■■■ stupid analogy. Franklin has failed to deliver the one thing he was bought to deliver. And his contract and very persona has been such a focal point for the swans it’s compromised their list build and the way they play.

1 Like

i really, really, really hope he shares that with jackets. that would be

3 Likes

They’ve played in two Grand Finals since he got there and been around the mark for every other season. Franklin has been an All-Australian 4 times and the Coleman medallist twice and averaged three goals a game. He’s led Sydney’s goalkicking every year. Franklin has performed in every year of his contract so far

Are you putting the fact that his team hasn’t been able to go one step better on him alone? What about the other 60+ players on the list in that time, which has included some very talented footballers, plus the coaches, list team, etc. It’s hard to win premierships and they never hinge on one players performance. If it were that simple it would be won each year by whoever splashed the most cash at the biggest names.

You may as well claim that it was a waste to spend all that money on contracts for the likes of Hird and Lloyd post 2000.

5 Likes

Considering the deal was made in the last 10 minutes Shiel was obviously not too keen to go to FC. if Barrett was right then Dylan would have pulled the pin earlier.

I see he was hanging around the 15-20 range in the locker room. They’re two numbers he could get…or 9.

Tell me how it worked out for us to pile so much money into Hird, Lloyd and Mercuri in the mid 2000’s? Please remind what happened to our list as a concequence if that strategy.

And it’s one thing to retain players on contracts, but to compromise your payment structure bringing in a player there is only 1 measure of success and it’s not been delivered. Who knows what players they could’ve had on their list had they not dumped so much money on buddy. Who knows what game style they might’ve been able to develop had they not been so completely and utterly dependent on Buddy to kick their winning score.

Um, Sydney has made two Grand Finals with him, and if he hadn’t got injured against the Bulldogs they might have won that one. It’s hardly the biggest trade bust of all time. Even this year he was the major part of their forward line.

Over one of Adrian Richardson’s magnificent steaks at La Luna.

3 Likes

Never been there, worth a visit? Always looking for a good steak.

1 Like

You want a top notch steak, try Railway Club Hotel in Port Melbourne.

6 Likes

Non - would have to be had at the Lobster Cave, surely!