Operation Human Shiel

Just watched the highlights package on EFC site again. Please give him the no. 32 jumper.

3 Likes

This rubbish that Barrett was peddling re FC was just that, rubbish. Shiel wasn’t ever going there and that trade was never going to happen despite them whacking off over it on trade radio. Shiel was only ever going to come to us or stay at GWS.

In light of last weeks events, I do believe the Giants were prepared to keep him if we didn’t offer up the two firsts. I also believe that was always the price and personally I wouldn’t have been baulking at it. How long is it since a player of Shiel’s caliber has wanted to come to us? Had we got this deal done in the first week, GWS don’t get the chance to play the “we will keep him” card and the stupid speculation around it goes away. I think we were a little too stubborn on this one, pick 9 and what we hope will be at least a mid teens pick with a second coming back is about right IMO.

10 Likes

Entering trade period, massive pressure was on Dodoro to get it done. Immediately the trade was done, all that pressure transferred to John Worsfold, and its going to remain on him for at least the next 11 months.

Really appreciate all the updates from you and fogdog over the last few weeks in what now appears to be one of the silliest seasons to date.

1 Like

Pandering to the fans of 17 other clubs, the media had its day in the sun trying to downgrade the Shiel trade.
Fast forwarding to Round 1 2019, those salty articles will be forgotten.
The fact remains that the Shiel trade is the best trade done this year in the context of window, team needs and quality of the player ( not including free agency) .

1 Like

Think you forgot he rejected HFC as well

1 Like

You can’t be right. Purple said Richmond were clear winners

Guess what? We won, the rest is BS.

Richmond got Lynch, sure, but that was not a trade. It was free agency. Very different to a trade.
In terms of trade, they traded out 4 depth players. Thats not a win during the trade period.

3 Likes

I agree with you… maybe I didn’t make the sarcastica font clear enough.

Purple is a moron.

Richmond will be interesting to watch next year. Lynch is a very good player, but not 100% convinced his presence will make them better. They’ll have to weaken one of their big strengths to accomodate him.
It will be interesting to see if they get rid of a small or if a medium guy like Caddy who has been very valuable for them gets moved to a different sort of role

THE CHAD is it.

So they say anyway.

Shiel will likely provide for more consistent output than Wingard. And McGovern has a lot to prove to be a main man, had it easy with others taking the best defenders.

Were GWS always prepared to give a second back or was that part of the last minute negotiations?

2 Likes

They aren’t going to miss any of the 4 guys they traded out…

They might if they have a half decent injury count… but they’ve barely had any injuries in 5 years, but sure why it would start now

1 Like

None of those blokes are any sort of injury replacement anyway… They chose to play a barely 50% fit Martin in the Prelim ahead of a 100% Lloyd. They ain’t missing them at all. Prestia was injured for large portions of this season, Miles still didn’t play.

1 Like

Have talked what number he’s getting on the back yet? He had 5 at GWS

number5

13 Likes

Edit. Number 20.

A number worn with distinction by Teddy Fordham and Tony Buhagiar and not many others in my time.

I think CHF of the 40’s, Gordon “Whopper” Lane wore #20 too. He and Fordham both kicked 7 in a grand final.

Edit: Lane worn #22 and gained distinction as a fireman after football. He attended a fire next door to us when the old duck there tried to burn down her house.

2 Likes

Yep I think #20 is a good fit for Dylan.

Be interesting to see what number he is given.