Opportunities in the best 22

Bags is 100% best 22.

Is the 2nd one picked in the backline behind Hurley.

1 Like

Iā€™ve tried a few times to make a Best 22 and every time I forget someone like Goddard or Ambrose. I forgot Smith on the last one I did.

I can never fit any size in the midfield either. Itā€™s built for speed only. No room for Myers or Bird.

1 Like

I completely understand that Bags is a comfortable selection as the back-pocket. If there were no list changes Iā€™d agree with you.

However, Bags will turn 31 this year. The back pocket position is not the most difficult position on the ground to fill. He did show some occassional signs of slowing down during 2017.

Weā€™ve just added Saad to the list. Can you run the 184cm McKenna, and the 178cm Saad off of the HBF. Iā€™m not sure you can give up that much height in a backline that seriously struggles to intercept mark as it is. Saad as the lockdown defender thoughā€¦ makes a lot of sense.

Hence Bags getting rudely left out of a lot of best 22s.

1 Like

Iā€™m going to have to strongly, but politely disagree. Bags is easily best 22 and provides much needed leadership. Had a slow start to the season which is completely normal for a person returning from a knee injury. The only person on the list who comes close to doing what he does is McGrath and he will predominantly in the midfield next season.

3 Likes

Lets hold off until trade week is done and dusted. Stringer is still to get, and who knows, maybe weā€™ll pull a swifty with a DFA or another trade.

Ideally mcniece would have pushed Baguley out of the 22 this year or close to. But that whiplash really ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  things up

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t play Hartley unless the opposition had 3 or more big forwards. A few going with just one or two at the moment.
Hurley and Ambrose plus one of Gleeson/Francis for mine.

Just because Bags seems like a good bloke and plays the game with heart doesnā€™t change the fact that heā€™s getting on and is unlikely to be on the list in 2019. As such we need to plan for life after his career ends and Iā€™d be a tad disappointed if he played 22 games this season.

1 Like

Next year when we should be competing for top 4, you pick the best team to win each week. If heā€™s in that best team, we shouldnā€™t be planning for the following year, we should be planning for the now

4 Likes

Feels like a lack of appreciation. People rate him not because he is a good bloke with heart, but because heā€™s a ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  good footballer. Without McGrath or Baguley we have zero players who can lockdown on Eddie Betts, C.Cameron, Wingard etc. His form through most of the year showed to me he hasnā€™t slowed down at all. Yes in a perfect world we have a younger ready-made Baguley replacement but at the moment we donā€™t. All we have is McNeice who nobody wanted in both drafts last year. I see where youā€™re coming from but I still remember days of Henry Slattery.

Woosha specifically mentioned he still has hopes for McNiece presumably as a Baggers replacement.

Thatā€™s all well and good but nobodyā€™s shown any sort of form to push him out: McNeice 2 average games, Saad is a rebounder first and foremost, Redman???

1 Like

And so did the whole thing about him not really being that great of a player.

Man have you seen what whiplash can do?

Iā€™ve felt what whiplash can do thanks to some 98 year old ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  who thought it would hilarious to run a red. Heā€™s dead now.

I saw this guy on a documentary pretend to have whiplash, but he actually didnā€™t and he got found out in the courtroom whenā€¦
Wait, that was The Brady Bunch.

3 Likes

well ā– ā– ā– ā–  man, condolences.

so surely you can understand why itā€™d be a bad idea for mcniece to play footy after suffering from it? at least until properly healed.

1 Like

Thereā€™s lots of guys with bad injuries. Iā€™m assuming all of them are guns too.

For sure. But what I meant initially was that I didnā€™t personally think he was that great pre-whiplash.

I thought he got in the accident before he played AFL. Then they decided to end that. Or do you mean VFL days?