Options for picks 20 and 29 (before Academy shenanigans)

A smokey at 20 that wont be there at 29?

Better not be another Redman Morgan smokie

Wouldn’t mind it being long or begley

What if it’s a Blaine Boekhorst smokie?

Better not be another Redman Morgan smokie

Wouldn’t mind it being long or begley

What if it’s a Blaine Boekhorst smokie?

Never go full fark carlton

Im more surprised at the Marshall reference. Didnt think there was any way he gets to #20 but maybe theres something in it afterall.

Neither does Florent on paper. But sometimes the industry does indeed settle on a collective welfare position and its not unfeasible that they may think he needs to stay in Vic.

In defence of twomey, his phantom draft from last year is almost spot on for the first 15.

Better ■■■■■■■ not be an “Ariel Steinberg over Luke Parker” type smokie.

In defence of twomey, his phantom draft from last year is almost spot on for the first 15.

He, Emma and probably Anderson will publish one a few days out from the Draft and they should be pretty accurate. But it seems Essendon playing its cards close, a very even top 20 and lots of interstate picks makes this one really hard to read. A Setterfield bid at #1 would have major effects on the top 15 imo.

I think the even nature of the draft just adds to the intrigue.

Something good should slip to 20 and 29.

Even at the top end, can’t remember the experts being so Divided.

Twomey rates clug 1 - he is swayed by his goal kicking
Emma rates McGrath 1
Anderson rates clug 1 but thinks we will take McGrath.

At 20 - Florent, Marshall or berry would be great.

Seems to be noise we are into begley could he come into contention at 29?

Players at 20 & 29 I will keep an eye out to hopefully fall to us

Hayward
Bolton
Florent
Simpkin(doubtful)
Venables
Sam-Powell Pepper

Florent sliding to us would be amazing.
Setterfield and Florent would be my dream top 2

If we could get Venables with either one of the Mac’s, then we should be totally rapt.

It really comes down to which teams would go with rucks, key defenders or key forwards as a priority.
What are teams needs?
GWS are going with a non tall and then with their Academy pick.
One of GC’S 4 picks could go to a tall.
Brisbane would go all local talent with their two picks rather than best available.
Freo need tall backs and wouldn’t mind a ruck.
Sydney would be in the same boat as Freo so they’d use one of their two picks on a tall.
North would take best available as they need almost everything.
West Coast wouldn’t have a priority so best available.
Adelaide need tall defenders, but their priority is a mid.
Port need tall defenders as well, but are just as in need of a mid. They have two picks, so one may be to a sliding tall.
Bulldogs would love a tall defender or tall forward. If a good one was available, they’d pounce, otherwise they’ll continue taking mids or utilities and play them anywhere.

That’s all before our pick 20.

Of the talls being spoken in the top 20, there is Battle, Marshall, English and Logue. Haywood and Scrimshaw are medium sized, but are also likely top 20 picks. Maybe someone reaches for Cox (pun intended) but he seems more of a +20s pick.

I’d like to see us take best available at 20 (hopefully Venables slides), then be strategic / speculative with the next one.

Florent sliding to us would be amazing. Setterfield and Florent would be my dream top 2

it’d be astonishing

I am confident Florent will be available at our pick.

If still available the following would be great value at our second and third picks and some maybe even for our 4th pick.
Hopefully not wishful thinking trying to be realistic they will still be available.

Oliver Florent/Jarrod Berry/Sam Powell Pepper/Will Hayward/Jordan Galluci/Brad Scheer/Cedric Cox/Shai Bolton
Daniel Venables/Josh Battle/Jordan Ridley/Jack Graham/Josh Rotham
Patrick Kerr/Will Drew/Bailey Morrish/Myles Poholke

Hope he is, kids looks a gun to me.

There was some talk that the interstate clubs are reluctant to pick him, maybe they’re reluctant to seperate him from the family after his father’s passing.

Clug and Marshall would be my ideal 1 & 20 combo.

At pick 40 either want Mutch or Clarke
It is unlikely that GWS will match a bid on the Bendigo ball-winner, meaning that he is up for grabs to all other 17 clubs. A big ball-winner, Mutch is a superb endurance athlete that will run all day and keep winning the ball deep into the final term. He is still developing his inside game but isn’t super polished on outside at this stage – he doesn’t hurt the opposition like he should. In many ways, he is a similar prospect what former Port Adelaide midfielder Kane Cornes was at the same age

or

Clarke is an inside bull. His work around the stoppages is very good and he can take a mark in a pack, but it is his ability to extract the ball from contested situations that is his ‘one-wood’. On the outside, he runs very well – just like his brother Ryan, but the one thing that holds him back from being much, much higher on this list, and a first-round pick, is his kicking. Clarke kicks the ball a bit like former Sydney skipper Brett Kirk, but to be fair, he does understand his limitations well enough and won’t try to hit targets that more accomplished players do.

Marshall is pretty lean, and I don’t think he will fill out a lot. Reminds me a fair bit of Jack Watts. Pretty athletic, very good below his knees, is a key position size but struggles to impact the game. I reckon he might need to be moved to the backline to force him into the play. I reckon it worked well for Ryder, as the football was brought to him, and he wasnt commanding enough to be an option up forward.

He’ll be an interesting player. A quality development program is vital for him to ‘make it’.

Anyone who criticises Dodoro and Keane for picking up Redman and Morgan on the basis of phantom drafts needs to shut up for at least a couple more years