Orlando nightclub shooting: 50 dead, 53 injured, police say, in worst mass shooting in US history

What a ■■■■■■■■.
This whole day has sucked.
Suppose we just wait for the next thing now.

From 538’s daily number thing. My italicisation indicates how hard it is to get people to care. Just another one.

“In the past 10 years, assault-style weapons have been used in 14 public mass shootings, according to The Washington Post. That includes the Orlando killings, the San Bernardino, California, attack and Umpqua Community College shooting in 2015 and the Aurora, Colorado, movie theater and Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings in 2012. Of those 14 shootings, seven have occurred in the past 12 months. The 1994 ban on assault weapons expired in 2004, 12 years ago.”

Might take some one to shoot a few US senators for something to happen. Who the fark needs to own an assault rifle. Beyond belief. Don't blame Obama, he's been trying to change the laws for years.

They did that remember? Gabrielle Giffords, shot in the head in an assasination attempt in 2011, when 6 other people died?

If mass killings involving politicians don’t do it, and mass killings where three dozen primary school kids die don’t do it, then sure as hell a shooting in a gay bar won’t do it. Though I’m sure there’ll be some more heavy-handed anti-terrorism surveillance laws rushed very quickly though in response to this.

It will have to be mass shootings of right wingers to get attitudes changed.

But the victims are always on the progressive side of US politics.

Unless they’re little kids.

Are you saying little kids are fascists???

My comment was WRT political shootings, but nevertheless kids are usually not out there espousing right wing ideologies.

We have had 2 shootings in Orlando on separate days…that Voice US singer being the first - murdered whilst signing autographs.

Action needs to be taken, but, no-one in the US lacks the balls to do it sadly.

Meh, I’m sure there will be another one in about 2 months.

Man that guy in Norway really got in the heads of Americans. They tried so hard to be our 34 dead in a mass shooting and failed and here comes a guy from no where and kills 75.

Americans don’t like finishing second.

173 ‘mass’ shootings in the US this year to date. ‘Mass’ being ‘4 or more’. Apparently, they were all terrorist acts. America should really get on the bike and protect their people.

Was watching a bit of Fox News last night.
Was shocked that their take was it had nothing to do with guns because the guy could have taken a knife in there.
Peter Doocy needs reminding the retard that did this wasn’t Lord of the ninjas.
Have serious trouble believing there would be this much carnage if he had just taken a knife into the club.

Was watching a bit of Fox News last night. Was shocked that their take was it had nothing to do with guns because the guy could have taken a knife in there. Peter Doocy needs reminding the retard that did this wasn't Lord of the ninjas. Have serious trouble believing there would be this much carnage if he had just taken a knife into the club.

He could have used a home made bomb. It’s a red herring argument. Guns are used to kill and are legal.

Well this is just... Farkin hell, how does this keep happening?

Just on Trump’s classy opportunism; what if this does turn out to be a Syrian refugee, or just an Islamic refugee of some description? Trump is going platform all over this, and the scary part is, it’s going to work :frowning:

He’s US born of Afghan parents, so start deporting US citizens I guess?
Trump is a ■■■■. And the fact that I expect no better from him doesn’t diminish that, but I expected better from Obama too.
He’s a gifted orator. And I get that he’s passionate on gun control, but these kids are going to be dead a long time. They’ll still be dead tomorrow. And the next day. And that’s the time to talk about gun control.
Today is the day for saying this was a disaster, and the nation is in mourning for the victims and their families and friends.
I honestly thought he was better than that.

Ah, I’d missed the US born bit. That’s something, I guess.

But yeah, whatever happened to just mourning a tragedy for even half a day before you get political? That’s a lot of young people that just lost their life needlessly.

Exactly that.
The politicking on both sides while the bodies are still warm makes me ill.

Well if they were to wait for a few days, another mass shooting would happen in the meantime.

Yep, this is about gun laws. Move on, nothing to see here.

Sigh the world has gone completely mad.

I think it might be gun laws in conjunction with a radicalised US Muslim, if that’s not too crazy an idea.

How did this guy manage to smuggle in a relatively long firearm, another small handgun and plenty of rounds of ammo into a nightclub past the bouncers without nobody noticing is what I want to know?

How did this guy manage to smuggle in a relatively long firearm, another small handgun and plenty of rounds of ammo into a nightclub past the bouncers without nobody noticing is what I want to know?

He didn’t smuggle it in. He shot the security guards.

Yep. Both.

And for those who support the ‘Islam is the problem’ point of view, why aren’t they all shooting the place up? It’s in the Quran after all. Isn’t it? Those people you interact with every day. They should be trying to kill you. But they don’t. So what are they, crap at it?

See the shares in the firearms companies have risen markedly overnight.

I think it might be gun laws in conjunction with a radicalised US Muslim, if that's not too crazy an idea.

Of course it can be both, but when you have Obama and Turnbull refusing to actually use the word “Islam/Muslim” when referring to the attack, it becomes blatantly clear that America’s lax gun laws are being used as a convenient distraction from the real underlying issue. Obviously, the problem of radical Islam doesn’t fit with the leftist PC worldview so we have to find another angle to focus our outrage.

I wonder if the reaction would have been any different if it were say a Christian fundamentalist shooting up a gay nightclub?

Yep. Both.

And for those who support the ‘Islam is the problem’ point of view, why aren’t they all shooting the place up? It’s in the Quran after all. Isn’t it? Those people you interact with every day. They should be trying to kill you. But they don’t. So what are they, crap at it?

4 Israeli’s were shot in a Tel Aviv restaurant and many more injured just last week, but no, you’re right, this is the first incident of its kind. I’m completely and utterly shocked this happened.

I think it might be gun laws in conjunction with a radicalised US Muslim, if that's not too crazy an idea.

Of course it can be both, but when you have Obama and Turnbull refusing to actually use the word “Islam/Muslim” when referring to the attack, it becomes blatantly clear that America’s lax gun laws are being used as a convenient distraction from the real underlying issue. Obviously, the problem of radical Islam doesn’t fit with the leftist PC worldview so we have to find another angle to focus our outrage.

I wonder if the reaction would have been any different if it were say a Christian fundamentalist shooting up a gay nightclub?

Of course it would have been different. We’d have been criticising the Christian hard right for their promotion of hate rather than IS, and that’s not a very nice comparison.
On a personal note, I know that people wearing heady things when I ask their religion (part of my job) will be saying ‘none’ for the next month or so. I doubt very much that people would stop declaring their Christianity if the shooter were Christian.

But even so, people would still be talking about gun laws. I’m a little taken aback that you believe they wouldn’t merely because the shooter in that scenario were Christian. He could be Rastafarian, people would still be asking whether people needed weapons intended for war in a suburban situation.

And of course the radicalisation of young western nationals is an issue. Again, I’m taken aback by the suggestion that some people think it’s not.

Of course it would have been different. We’d have been criticising the Christian hard right for their promotion of hate rather than IS, and that’s not a very nice comparison.
On a personal note, I know that people wearing heady things when I ask their religion (part of my job) will be saying ‘none’ for the next month or so. I doubt very much that people would stop declaring their Christianity if the shooter were Christian.

But even so, people would still be talking about gun laws. I’m a little taken aback that you believe they wouldn’t merely because the shooter in that scenario were Christian. He could be Rastafarian, people would still be asking whether people needed weapons intended for war in a suburban situation.

And of course the radicalisation of young western nationals is an issue. Again, I’m taken aback by the suggestion that some people think it’s not.

I’m not saying that gun laws wouldn’t factor in to the discussion were it a Christian shooter; what I am saying is that it wouldn’t be the dominant theme. We wouldn’t see people be so quick to dismiss the fact he carried out the shooting in the name of his religion. The PC tribe would like to have us believe that there are crazies in all parts of society so his religion is irrelevant but that couldn’t be further from the truth. What we are seeing is a single religion/ideology which is consistently to blame. No amount of gun laws will change the fact that there is a large segment of society that adheres to a single faith (Islam) that present a real threat to our safety. I’m sorry if you can’t see that.

I’m not saying that gun laws wouldn’t factor in to the discussion were it a Christian shooter; what I am saying is that it wouldn’t be the dominant theme. We wouldn’t see people be so quick to dismiss the fact he carried out the shooting in the name of his religion. The PC tribe would like to have us believe that there are crazies in all parts of society so his religion is irrelevant but that couldn’t be further from the truth. What we are seeing is a single religion/ideology which is consistently to blame. No amount of gun laws will change the fact that there is a large segment of society that adheres to a single faith (Islam) that present a real threat to our safety. I’m sorry if you can’t see that.

I don’t think the evidence backs that up.
But if you do, take out the radicalised Muslim component in mass murders in America over the last year, then take out the ‘war weapon’ component for same, compare those numbers and get back to me.