Other UK Football - 'Don't want to be in the EPL anyway..'

Snaffled a draw at Leeds despite (going by the stats) being well outplayed in general.

@Goodthur, how do feel about the removal of Wally?

I think I was expecting it, and I certainly understand it, it’s just a shock to the system sfter the mood of five short months ago. Can’t believe he would be foolish enough to put himself in this position by betting on games this year. 2013 maybe, but 2019, that’s nuts! Wonder if there’s a story behind how he was caught out.

Do think the decision was made on the basis of the charge alone, or influenced by the change of fortune in his absence?

I feel a bit sad I guess, I saw him play his first game 40 years ago and have had a soft spot for him since, especially as he scored that day IIRC. As well, he was one of the key members of the old Wimbledon Crazy Gang.

The change of fortune would have helped but I think they would have dismissed him anyway. Wimbledon have tolerated, in fact probably rejoiced in, some colourful managers over the years but they have their limits. They cited potential damage to the club’s reputation when they sacked Terry Eames 15 years ago and I expect that was the main consideration here too.

1 Like

Forest v Reading postponed due to a waterlogged City Ground pitch
Must be really soaked as I’ve watched many a Reds game from the Trent End thinking the pitch was unplayable bu the game went ahead anyway

I missed Wally as a player (started following at the beginning of Joe’s reign) but have always undertood his place in history. I hope it is simply a case of protecting the club’s reputation, which would be understandable given the media coverage we’ll get when Plough Lane is ready for business. Would love to hear Wally speak about this, but I imagine there might be a non-disclosure agreement in play.

Anyway, it’s another vibrant chapter in our history completed, onwards now to an important meeting with Lincoln City!

Boro going really really well this year. Really really good stuff.

Forest just squeezed past bottom placed Wigan. And it took a saved penalty to do it! But a win is a win.

Sitting fifth with a game in hand. Big match coming up against the similarly placed Blackburn. Brentford dropped one against Millwall and now face Bristol, who are also right in the pack , so there’s a chance to jump into 4th. Not getting my hopes up though, we’ve seen similar over the last two decades and usually fall away in the back half of the season. We’re barely past the halfway mark. Bizarrely, we’ve struggled at home and won well away. But two wins in a row have stopped a slide down the table.

1 Like

Looking like the scum are going to be back in the EPL barring a major capitulation

3-2 at home over Rovers. Important win , despite being dominated in possession. Up to fourth and 3 wins on the trot after a very poor period before Christmas. A crucial transfer window coming up, need some midfield creativity.

Leeds and West Brom a 1-1 draw at the top of the table.

Meanwhile, an FA Cup match with Chelsea at Stamford Bridge looms large. Be interesting to see if it - or The Championship - appear to be the priority.

1 Like

Thought we were headed for the inevitable slide down the table before Xmas
Happy to grind out 3 x wins on the trot

1 Like

@Goodthur Wimbledon up to it’s old tricks of shooting itself in the foot vs Southend (and Tranmere). January will be a revealing month if Forss and Sanders (in particular) go home, and our walking wounded continue to miss. We desperately need Wordsworth back, always a better team with him in it.

Yes, they just can’t help conceding a late goal.

I am more worried about the off-field stuff at the moment though. I was always dubious as to how they were going to pay for the new Plough Lane stadium development and now it appears that they can’t - £11 million short and the developer about to walk away. If they borrow the money, the interest cost means they won’t be able to pay even League 2 salaries but if they drop to the National League or even lower, the stadium will be a white elephant because there will be next to nobody there.

A thousand or so Geordies roll into tiny Spotland (it’ll never be the ‘Crown Oil Stadium’ to me), give it the big un early in good voice, Toon scores yet they fail to beat plucky Rochdale. I used to love standing on the Sandy Lane terrace nearly 20 years ago, mid winter you could see snow on the Pennines at one corner between two stands, this in the early 2000’s when they were at that stage mired in League 2 and had been for 30+ years. Couldn’t get promoted, couldn’t get relegated either until a few years ago.

Although Dale were on the back foot against Toon, they scraped a draw and fielded two 16 year olds and a 40 year old! Newcastle’s £40M signing Joelinton missed a couple of sitters and still failed to add to his total of 1 goal for the club in 25 odd appearances. As funny as that was have to say I feel for the guy.

2 Likes

UK footy really is a weird beast with transfers and loans.

Forest are looking for a striker in the transfer, but in the meantime have sent promising youngster Will Swan to 7th division Truro for a month, where he promptly scored a brace in his first match for them.

Leeds are now supposedly the front runners to get Che Adams from Southampton after Forest started chasing him.

And now theres talk that Bostock will be released early from his season loan deal from Toulouse so that he can go to Charlton instead.

It’s all very foreign to here.

All thrown out of whack by the huge numbers the big clubs have in academies now. When you’ve got 100 names on the books and 25 first team spots…

Also, Boro have remembered how to play. 4 wins on the trot in the league, tonight in the cup we’ve some minnow loser plebs called Tottering or something.

God help us if Grabban goes down

1 Like

And Mir rumoured to be leaving. Not that he’s done much. But the cupboard would be empty.

Well, I never liked Var anyway…

Plucky loser minnow plebs managed to even it up at 1-1 after the mighty Boro scored a pretty fkg good one early, so we’re off to London for a replay.