Our Age and Games Demographic

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Looking at starting team age, or best 25 or something is definitely more valuable than the age of the whole list. Every team drafts at least 3 players, normally more if you count the rookie list, which means 20% or so of everybody's list is first and second year players, almost all of whom are 18-19 years old. Unsurprisingly, this flattens out squad ages to the point where it's borderline meaningless. Last year the average age difference for entire squads between 6th (us) and 12th (Richmond) was 4 months.
I just don't get this line of reasoning that "we need to look at all the numbers so let's ignore some of the numbers". Either with the oldies, or with youngsters. The numbers are the whole point!! We have 4 1st & 2nd year teenagers - 7 including rookies. Some clubs would have bucketloads (Dogs have 10/11, Brisbane have 10/15). Massive difference. When we have an injury we're calling in a Gwilt or Howlett, they're likely calling in a debutant.
I'm not saying "ignore the young players", I'm saying is that the age of the team that actually runs out (the stat you used) is more important than the average age of the total list. If people want to talk about list age, then they should absolutely use the whole list, I just don't think average list age is important or interesting, at least in part because the AFL mandates that list age skews lower than week to week team age.

Edit: obviously you’d have to exclude some players, eg Hogan and Martin in 2013, but that’s a pretty specific exception.

I think they’re all important to some degree - if not quite as important as each other.
ie a side that has a bunch of 20-25 year olds outside the 22 could reasonably expect to get more output than a team that’s only got 18-19 year olds (ie better depth), and probably look a little more likely to maintain or improve in the medium term future.
If I had heaps and heaps of time, and could be arsed, I’d make up a mega spreadsheet that does all this stuff - mean/median, games and age, most experienced 22 & list minus outliers & whole list.

Far more fun just to argue about it!

Or you could do the right thing and just admit you are wrong!

He is not, and can’t be assed proving it, which also gives the possibility he could be wrong.

*a r sed.

We are in Australia.
Thx.

Calculations can’t actually be wrong unless they are actually wrong. I’m not. You guys want to do another set of calcs - and I agree it’d be worth looking at - then go for it.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Looking at starting team age, or best 25 or something is definitely more valuable than the age of the whole list. Every team drafts at least 3 players, normally more if you count the rookie list, which means 20% or so of everybody's list is first and second year players, almost all of whom are 18-19 years old. Unsurprisingly, this flattens out squad ages to the point where it's borderline meaningless. Last year the average age difference for entire squads between 6th (us) and 12th (Richmond) was 4 months.
I just don't get this line of reasoning that "we need to look at all the numbers so let's ignore some of the numbers". Either with the oldies, or with youngsters. The numbers are the whole point!! We have 4 1st & 2nd year teenagers - 7 including rookies. Some clubs would have bucketloads (Dogs have 10/11, Brisbane have 10/15). Massive difference. When we have an injury we're calling in a Gwilt or Howlett, they're likely calling in a debutant.
I'm not saying "ignore the young players", I'm saying is that the age of the team that actually runs out (the stat you used) is more important than the average age of the total list. If people want to talk about list age, then they should absolutely use the whole list, I just don't think average list age is important or interesting, at least in part because the AFL mandates that list age skews lower than week to week team age.

Edit: obviously you’d have to exclude some players, eg Hogan and Martin in 2013, but that’s a pretty specific exception.

I think they’re all important to some degree - if not quite as important as each other.
ie a side that has a bunch of 20-25 year olds outside the 22 could reasonably expect to get more output than a team that’s only got 18-19 year olds (ie better depth), and probably look a little more likely to maintain or improve in the medium term future.
If I had heaps and heaps of time, and could be arsed, I’d make up a mega spreadsheet that does all this stuff - mean/median, games and age, most experienced 22 & list minus outliers & whole list.

Far more fun just to argue about it!

Or you could do the right thing and just admit you are wrong!

He is not, and can’t be assed proving it, which also gives the possibility he could be wrong.

*a r sed.

We are in Australia.
Thx.

Calculations can’t actually be wrong unless they are actually wrong. I’m not. You guys want to do another set of calcs - and I agree it’d be worth looking at - then go for it.

Yep fair cop!!

Or you know… we could forget about their age and just measure how well they play football together as a team against the other teams. Maybe we could even make that into a competition and we could award points and have a table ranking the teams on how many games they won.

Quoted Post

Or you know... we could forget about their age and just measure how well they play football together as a team against the other teams. Maybe we could even make that into a competition and we could award points and have a table ranking the teams on how many games they won.
Yeah imagine recording & looking at stats to get a bit of an understanding...

Quoted Post

Heppell (23) - 85 games Myers (26) - 84 games

:confused:

Likely to be something like 98 games to 84 games some stage this season.