Our best ever trade

What was the reason for A Lovett leaving us in the first place? Can’t remember.

Didn’t get on with the coach. Was pretty slack etc. Along those lines.

Agree re the Francis trade but I don’t think it counts as Carlisle was going regardless.

This also helped start the Daniher dynasty … this gift keeps giving over generations

1 Like

What’s with the TD trade? How were TD and NF rated at that stage of their careers? What were the circumstances?

Hooker for two picks in the 20s.

1 Like
2 Likes

Agree, best trade by any club … Getting TD and winning the support of his parents which helped Sheeds get Neale, Anthony and Chris - brilliant… and then came Joey. What a coup!
LLoyd trade was amazing too but having the Daniher dynasty is really special.

1 Like

The reason why the Williams trade was the worst was nothing to do with us. It’s because it facilitated Burgoyne getting to Hawthorn. Without Burgoyne Hawthorn are probably a couple of flags worse off.

We did a cr*p deal for us to help Hawthorn.

(And everyone except our list management team knew Williams knee was stuffed…what on earth were we thinking?)

2 Likes

Worst deals Raines, Richardson, anybody we got from Carlscum or Collingwood.

Jerker Jenkins for John Williams, what a disaster that was.

1 Like

Wellman and Barnard trade was a great example where everyone involved had a win. Probably the only time Sheeds didn’t try to screw others over.

Was that because Salmon wanted out so Sheeds didn’t have a choice in what he was giving up?

1 Like

Pfffft, details.

1 Like

Carlisle gave great service.
And if they sent Hooker forward in stead of Carlisle maybe he would still be here Meh.

I would say Hawks winners, Essendon winners, and Port & Saints Losers.

And I think nash was going to be delisted, but we sent him to Port to sweeten the deal.

Worst Trade
Gavin Wanganeen (Essendon): compensation selections #2 (Chris Heffernan) and #25 (Andrew Bomford)

Scott Cummings (Essendon): compensation selections #5 (Daniel McAlister) and #28 (Jason Johnson) - We Were Lucky with Jason Johnson

For mine you can’t count the players that get drafted when talking about trades. its a lotto.

6 Likes

But you can’t really count it like that. It was Carlisle for pick 5 which on it’s own is a good deal. Who we picked with pick 5 is the questionable part.

I agree in more modern times the Lloyd and Lucas for 3 B/C graders was a masterstroke.

Our 2016 season for Andrew McGrath

6 Likes

Here is one I prepared earlier. (Post #1757 in the Stringer II thread where some were making out this was the best trade ever):

People should realise that “the club’s history” extends back for more than the last ten years.

imho, this trade period has a very long way to go to deliver the value of the trade that got us the Danihers.

For the benefit of recent arrivals, can I remind you what happened then::

OUT: Neville Fields (but only for a few years).

IN:

1. Terry Daniher (dual Premiership Captain);
  2. Neale Daniher (before injury, looking to have as illustrious a career as James Hird later did; also was assistant coach in a Premiership year and credited with the strategy that won us the 1993 GF); and later
  3. Chris Daniher (another Premiership) and then also
  4. Anthony Daniher.

That trade still delivers today:

1. Joe Daniher

Who could otherwise be playing for the Swans.

So this Trade week has to result in at least 3 flags just to draw even with what really is the best trade not only in EFC history but probably in VFL/AFL history.

2 Likes