Our defence. What the fark

Not so worried about how many goals he kicks, he shows flashes of brilliance, then goes missing for 3 games. I wish he was the answer but he his proven time and time again he is not an AFL level fwd.

That’s why I said “defenders” and not “defense”.

Our defensive transition and midfield accountability is diabolical

2 Likes

Hooker & Hurley are an All Australian defensive combo. Dustin Fletcher also was pretty handy.

Just unfortunate we lost Hibberd. As our backline would could easily be the best in the league.

There is no way our forward works anywhere near as well with one of these names doing the ‘Hooker’ role. Our forward line worked as well as it has since 2007 this year so I’m not sure why we would be robbing it of a key component in Hooker.

It’s tough to play forward and many fail - you only need to look look at Carlisle, Hurley and Ambrose for recent evidence. Hooker works. We find a defender who can do that role who isn’t Hooker.

I still have faith in Hartley. He showed something last year and before Ambrose came back he had a super run mid season. Clearly he struggled when asked to be more attacking. Key is getting that balance right for him.

Our defence was utterly ■■■■■■ on Saturday. The midfield at times did put pressure on and the ball was bombed in and we still let them mark it. We need to bolster our defense big time. Pluck some tough nuts from the lower leagues who love to put body on body.

2 Likes

I think you will see the introduction of Ridley and Francis next year so that’s 33% of the backline.

With McGrath in we have turned over 50% in two seasons.

1 Like

Fair point this. I likely see Goddard taking Kelly’s “old man off the HBF” role. He should be effective there. If McGrath moves full time midfield there’s another position you have to fill. Would Morgan be retained just because he could (not saying he will based on his first 2 seasons on the list) potentially take a running defensive spot? Is McNiece up to it? Is Jake Long someone we can play there? As much as I love Bags and how tough he is, there are signs he is starting to come to the end. There’s another BP/HB spot up for grabs. Hartley need another year or two of gym work so he has the body to compete with the big forwards. Hurls is a champ and one of the best going around, but he struggles against the real tall blokes, he even admitted it himself. If Trengove from Port on on the FA market we should seriously consider him. Just a no-frills, big bodied backman who can play on the big boys, allow Hurls to play the intercept/3rd man in role he is so good at and have Hartley still develop but not required to be given the #1 forward. Great midfield accountability is also required to stop uncontested ball coming to the forwards. Some of the delivery Buddy got on the weekend no defender would’ve been able to stop.

1 Like