Our first AFLW squad: finalised, 30 + 3 top-ups

Harsh summary of me!

Sorry. I’ll try to think of a relevant Buffy quote next time.

1 Like

Me, but moreso others who hadn’t thought about this as much:

Courtney, with finals to win:

tumblr_nqkuf1eB3D1qftpdso1_500

Still a chance later via a late draft pick or as a “train-on” player, but we may have recruited too many wingers for our squad of 30 already…

Going on the Bombercast this evening to talk all things Essendon AFLW/VFLW.

Thinking about our AFLW list, with 13 spots left, and at least 7 going to be youngsters (or from other VFLW teams) in the draft, there’s a max of 6 players we’d could take from VFLW list.

The contenders would be (in my view) as follows…

Mia-Rae Clifford – 20 goals for the season at Full-Forward.
Renee Tierney – 16 goals, solid build forward.
Amelia Radford – 3rd Handballs, 10th Kicks in the League. Solid start to the year.
Simone Nalder – 4th avg hit outs in the league at 25.4
Eloise Ashley-Cooper – Last year’s club B’n’F. HBF, can play on the ball.
Courtney Ugle – Small, aggressive at the ball and opponent. Leadership qualities.
Nicole Julian – Steady hand off the half-back line.
Isabella Ayre – Solid build defender, smart with a burst of speed. Ex-AFLW.

Clifford is a question on age (or if she wants to do AFLW again), Ayre is a question on if she wants to commit to a full AFLW program and Nalder I feel would be a late signing, if any of the younger rucks available get snapped up before we can get them.

For the rest, all depends on what we pick up from elsewhere and what we space (positionally) we have left. I see we need to pick-up/sign defenders and one to two more rucks.

1 Like

Do you have a link?

I think your maths is romantically optimistic. We take (say) 6 NAB Leaguers and/or oddities (e.g. an Irish player).

Then our (say) 7 draft picks are 2, 4, 17, 19, 25, 33, 43. How many of our remaining VFLW girls are top 25 in the state?

I love ‘em but don’t see Clifford, Julian, or Nalder as a chance (the latter despite me previously noting VIC ruck options are sparse). I don’t know what our backup plan for Borg is!

While there is a habit of shunning anyone who previously missed in a draft, I think Tierney is an excellent chance. Just maybe not with us given we already took Toogood, Frew, and Bannister. Ditto Ugle may need to be a back pocket, given who we already chose.

Maybe a “better the angel you know” pick or two right at the end.

It’s not an easy job constructing a team from scratch…

It’s recorded. So when they post it online, I’ll paste a link here.

1 Like

Caveat: @PH_WARFRadio knows a LOT more about women’s footy than anyone else here!

But you know a lot more about our favourite side than I do! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hawks making a play (trade) for a player that was rumoured to be going to us a month ago.

I think we’ve probably passed on her after getting Cain, Van de Heuvel and Phillips.

Us taking Bannister (4 player poaching limit from Norf) means they need to pay up :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Hawks have a lot of picks to trade due to their incompetence (and more particularly the Bin Chicken’s incompetence), though.

VIC picks 1, 3, 5, 6 (can’t trade) and 11, 16, 18, 24, 32, 43 (can trade).

Do picks 5+6 compensate for failing to pick up (AFLW) stars?

Relevant to how we fill the rest of the squad from here: we do not skew old.

Name Age Position
Cat Phillips 30 mid
Georgia Nanscawen 30 mid
Danielle Marshall 30 KPP
Sophie Alexander 29 KPP
Jacqui Vogt 28 mid/forward
Joanne Doonan 27 mid/forward
Jordan Zanchetta 27 mid
Stephanie Cain 25 wing
Federica Frew 25 forward
Bonnie Toogood 24 forward
Ellyse Gamble 24 key defender
Daria Bannister 23 forward
Jorja Borg 23 ruck
Georgie Gee 22 wing/forward
Madison Prepakis 21 mid
Sophie van de Heuvel 21 back
Caitlin Sargent 18 forward

I ran out of time on the Bombercast to even really scratch the surface with draft picks and whose available.

We have Victorian draft picks 2, 4, 17, 19, 25, 33, 43

Who is available in the draft – RookieMe Central Vic Power Rankings Top 20

Montana Ham (Western Jets) – Big bodied inside mid.
Jasmine Fleming (Oakleigh Chargers) – Midfielder with elite right foot.
Charlotte Baskaran (Western Jets) – Outside mid, can play HBF. Tried as inside mid.
Amber Clarke (Dandenong Stingrays) – Lightning quick defender, also played forward.
Zarlie Goldsworthy (Murray Bushrangers) – Mid/Fwd averages 24.9 disp and 1 goal p/g
Mackenzie Eardley (Dandenong Stingrays) – 181cm quick rebounding defender
Sofia Hurley (Sandringham Dragons) – Avg 10.9 Tackles p/g. Balanced Mid.
Riley Wilcox (Northern Knights) – Wing. Power Rankings bolter (23 to 12 Nationally)
Charley Ryan (Dandenong Stingrays) – Forward of centre mid. Injury interrupted champs.
Octavia Di Donato (Bendigo Pioneers) – Started as a Def, now Mid. Played HF in VFLW
Bridie Hipwell (Sandringham Dragons) – Clearance Mid/Lead-up Forward (Versatile)
Keeley Skepper (Murray Bushrangers) – Inside mid
Charlotte Taylor (Oakleigh Chargers) – 177cm Inside Mid and HBF. Played Coll VFLW
Taylah Gatt (Dandenong Stingrays) – Speedy Winger
Mia Busch (Eastern Ranges) – Running half-back
Laura Elliot (Western Jets) – Key Defender. 170cm good above her head.
Mia Austin (Eastern Ranges) – 177cm Tall Forward
Keely Coyne (Sandringham Dragons) – 162cm Inside/Outside Mid
Jamie-Lee Speakman (GWV Rebels) – 162cm small utility
Paige Scott (GWV Rebels) – Medium forward, played with Geelong VFLW

We need a (NAB League Girls) Ruck!

Krsytal Russell (Western Jets) – 180cm Ruck. Lead NAB LG for Hit-Outs in 2021 and 2022.
Kalani Scouller (GWV Rebels) – 192cm Ruck. Played with Geelong VFLW. Developing.

Getting towards the back end of the draft, we may start to consider VFLW players from other clubs, such as these “spare parts” that are available…

Elizabeth McGrath (North Melbourne) – One of the top rucks in the VFLW
Sarah King (Collingwood) – Long-time ruck, but still young, at the Pies VFLW
Nicole Hales (Collingwood) – Plays deep in defence, third in the VFLW in marks
Eliza Vale (Western Bulldogs) – 168cm defender. Leads league in Marks avg p/g
Sophia McCarthy (Williamstown) – 179cm CHF. Has potential but turns head at contest
Gabrielle Bidenweg-Webster (Williamstown) – Mid-Tall Defender, who launches off HBF
Grace Buchan (Southern Saints) – Mid sized defender who racks up disposals
Hannah Stuart (Southern Saints) – Tough midfielder, challenging GN for league BnF
Jessica Trend (Hawthorn) – Defender returning from ACL. Ex-AFLW and Ex-Essendon.
Isabelle Porter (Hawthorn) – Put the wheel clamps on GN
Jessie Williams (Hawthorn) – 21 goals (2nd in the league), Ex-AFLW with North.
Mia Skinner (Geelong) – 21 goals, mid sized, quick and pushes up the flank

Some de-listed AFLW Players Out There

Christina Bernardi (ex-Richmond) – Mid-sized, exciting forward
Kate McCarthy (ex-Saints) – Speedster, who is slowing down, flanker.
Jess Weutschner (ex-Lions) – Left foot goal sneak
Hannah McLaren (ex-Richmond) – Defender. Played VFLW with Port Melbourne
Paige Price (ex-Saints) – Ex-College Basketball. Rookie at 188cm. Hip injury ruled out AFLW last season
Lauren Gauci (ex-Eagles) – Defender

3 Likes

OK, I did the (basic) maths.

Bin Chickens: 19* signed + 9 picks = 28
Hawks: 14 signed + 10 picks = 24
Port: 11 signed + 8 picks = 19
EFC = 17 signed + 7 picks = 24

*assuming the Bin Chickens actually submitted the paperwork to take Ally Morphett. If they didn’t, I’m sure the AFL will allow them to do it sometime next month.

Does Port have a specific stack of U18 players to grab from their NGA region (the rules on doing that, including how many are allowed to be taken, are still not announced)? I guess they’re lucky Adelaide are the premiers, and may take very few picks from the SA stock.

Recent article:

Can someone please explain to me how they work out the draft order for the woman’s draft for the expansion clubs?

The answer is no.

1 Like

I believe they draw it out of a hat…

images (1) (16)

1 Like