Our improvement under Jimmy & Bomber

Read this article the other day on the AFL site - a great read!!

Warning, there are references to Jimmy v Bomber although not in any sinister or vindictive way. I trust everyone can can enjoy the article which for me highlights are great progression under Jimmy and Bomber since they came back to the club. I really love the progression of the team and can't wait to see how far they can go - which I hope is all the way as they really deserve some success as a group after their incredible efforts.

Enjoy!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-29/does-hird-measure-up

Stats tell the story on Essendon's Hird v Thompson coaching conundrum

Peter Ryan  July 29, 2014 7:00 AM

Stats say James Hird is more than capable of continuing the work done by Mark Thompson in 2014

WOULD Essendon be better in 2015 under Mark Thompson or James Hird?

Statistics suggest Hird is as capable as the dual premiership coach at continuing the trend of improvement they started together in 2011.

After finishing 14th in 2010 under Matthew Knights, Essendon sat fourth after round 18, 2013 and Hird's winning record sat at 59 percent.

After 18 rounds this season, Thompson has the Bombers seventh with a winning record of 58 per cent (for a total winning percentage of 62.3 per cent).

The most talked-about improvement under Thompson has been Essendon's ability to restrict opposition scoring.

It has conceded just 76 points a game, making it the third best defensive team in the competition.

History suggests a team must be in the top four defensively to win a premiership.

Thompson is obviously a master at team defence – given Geelong conceded the fewest points as early as 2004 – but Essendon has improved in that area every year since Hird took over.

People forget that until round 18 last season, before the Essendon season fell apart amid the supplements controversy, the Bombers were conceding on average just 80 points a game under Hird's direction.

Essendon has moved from conceding 100.8 points in 2011, 95 in 2012 and 90 in 2013 to this year's average of 76 points per game.

Given the club conceded an average of 109 points in the year before Hird took over, that is a positive trend.

Only Fremantle (68.3 points conceded per game) and the Sydney Swans (69.5) perform better on that measure in 2014.

Under Thompson, Essendon has improved its ability to restrict the opposition from launching scores from its defensive 50. It was 18th in that statistic in 2012, moved 10th last season and is now ranked fifth.

The introduction and improvement of Mark Baguley and Michael Hibberd, both of whom made their debut under Hird, has been significant.

Cale Hooker, who was close to being traded to West Coast, has become the best intercept mark in the competition and is becoming as reliable as the veteran Dustin Fletcher once was.

Essendon is second in the competition for disposals behind Hawthorn, but it was a trend it started last season under Hird when it also had the second-most disposals in the competition. 

The Bombers' disposal efficiency has improved under Thompson (from ninth to first) and they have been electrifying at times in the way they have moved the ball.

What Thompson has managed to introduce to the Bombers in 2014 is a capacity to stop the opposition winning the ball as often.

Under Hird, Essendon was ranked 12th at stopping the opposition from winning disposals and it has moved to sixth, although opponents are only managing two fewer disposals per game on average than it did last season.

That is consistent with Essendon's improved ball use as it reduces turnovers.

Thompson's recent wins have also come without the services of the brilliant Jobe Watson, and ruckman Tom Bellchambers has been missing for most of the season through injury.

Patrick Ryder, the indefatigable Brendon Goddard, Dyson Heppell, David Zaharakis, David Myers and Brent Stanton have been very good at covering that pair's absence.

Essendon had a centre clearance differential of minus five in 2012 but it addressed the issue under Hird last season. It had +30 differential, which made it third-best in the AFL and has continued its improvement this season to lead the competition in that area with a +45 differential in centre clearances.

Thompson has re-ordered the priority players in the midfield with Stanton dropping down the pecking order, averaging 381 metres gained per game, well below his average of 486 metres gained under Hird.

Much has been made of positional changes under Thompson with Jake Carlisle playing forward and Michael Hurley in defence. Carlisle has been brilliant in the past two games against undersized defenders – and looked more threatening than Hurley at his best – but whether he has been a success or not remains debatable.

Certainly Essendon would expect its forward line to improve as Joe Daniher grows as a player and rookie Patrick Ambrose and the Merrett brothers, Zach and Jackson, continue to build on their promise.

Carlisle's sudden belief in his forward role might put Essendon in a strong position in the future because of the flexibility he adds, but with an improved Daniher leading the forward line the team might still be better with Hurley in attack and Carlisle in defence.

That's a decision for the future, but certainly Thompson's experience and credibility as a two-time premiership coach has helped him ride the rough patch with Carlisle.

The recruiting record since Hird started has been very good, with Dyson Heppell, Hibberd, the Merrett brothers, Ambrose, Baguley, Jason Ashby and Martin Gleeson all showing promise. Paul Chapman has also been a good stop-gap recruit. The Bombers have retained players and overcome being banned from the first round of the draft.

Having lost Stewart Crameri and Angus Monfries to rival clubs in recent seasons, the Bombers have done well to restructure their forward line, although their ability to score once inside 50 (45.8 per cent of the time) has dropped. Essendon is scoring 14 points a game fewer under Thompson than in 2013 under Hird, but it has been ranked 15th in both years.

Essendon has also become better at protecting leads in recent weeks.

The Bombers have won five of the eight games decided by fewer than 10 points this season. It lost to Hawthorn, Melbourne and Geelong after leading with just minutes remaining but has stabilised its efforts in that area.

After winning just two cliffhangers from eight (plus a draw) in Hird's first two seasons the Bombers won four from four games decided by less than 10 points in 2013.

The club appears to be building towards the end of the season rather than hitting a brick wall mid-season as it did under Hird. Essendon won eight of the first 11 games in 2012 and 2013 but just three and six of the final 11 respectively.

This season it won just five of the first 10 but it has won five of its past seven, as it appears to have learned its lesson.

It has also vastly improved its record on the road since Hird took over. Between 2002 and 2010 it won just seven of 41 games played outside Victoria.

Since Hird began, the club has won 13 from 19 games outside Victoria, including three out of four this season.

Excluding Carlton - the beneficiary of Essendon's supplement scandal punishment - the Bombers have beaten three-top eight teams both this season and last season.

However they are yet to beat Hawthorn since Hird took over and have only beaten Geelong and the Sydney Swans once in the past four years.

A win against the Swans at the SCG on Friday night and a strong finals performance might push Thompson's record into a different sphere.  After all, he is a proven premiership coach and Hird has benefited from his presence.

But right now – having nearly completed his 12-month suspension for being senior coach when the 2012 supplements program took place – Hird looks capable of resuming a role that the experienced Thompson has made look easier than it is in 2014.

.. I had a look to see if it had been posted elsewhere but couldn't find it. If so, my apologies.

I suppose there is no one on Blitz who is a "fly on the wall" in terms of gaining knowledge of the dynamic of the collaboration between Hird and Thompson over the first 3 years. In any case even if they did visit the Blitz under an alter ego they could not shed light on this without blowing their cover.

So I guess we will never, or not for many years know to what extent the first Hird incumbency was a meld of Thompson as mentor and Hird as originator of the game plan evolution.   What we do know is that over that time the list has developed and matured,  as lists do. We know  that they have been energised by some propitious new players infused into a side that now boasts some extraordinary players through mature age recruiting coups for which  the coaching/list management group can take due credit.

Although I was not a fly on the wall over this period,  I believe that the initial Hird era  was at least partly a "co-coaching" collaboration and both should be able to take credit for the good things that have happened in the evolution of the game plan, player development  and the team ethos.

It is still a work in progress, and the window is still very much open in this campaign.

The article is a well balanced one, well researched and not judgmental  like many articles about Hird and Thompson have been recently. 

this is the big one for mine

<b>Points from stoppages differential</b>

+52 (8th)

-200 (16th)

+89 (7th)

-40 (8th)
	<p>&nbsp;</p>

stoppages have improved greatly this year.

Remember knights? Lol

Remember knights? Lol

As if.  

Remember knights? Lol

Every now and then you here KB and even Caro claiming how Knights drafted most of our good players,so he deserves some credit 'Pears, sheedy wanted to trade Jobe...'

Remember knights? Lol

Every now and then you here KB and even Wilson claiming how Knights drafted most of our good players,so he deserves some credit 'Pears, sheedy wanted to trade Jobe...'

Good pick/trade = genius coach. Bad pick/trade = sack Dodoro. 

While on the issue of recruiting/ list management, right now the list has a serious contingent weakness,  which could undo a lot of the incredible work that has been done by Hirdy and Bomber.

Recruiting in the ruck division has been neglected/not worked out.   The form and fitness of Bellcho is suspect   and if anything happens to Paddy, we will be in serious trouble unless Bellcho comes good.  So far this season we have been very lucky that Paddy is playing at career best level and has only missed a couple of games.  Right now we are 1 hammy short of a serious problem.

I love how everyone talks/writes about Zach and Jackson in the same breath. It’s convenient but Zach is miles ahead right now.

Remember knights? Lol

Every now and then you here KB and even Wilson claiming how Knights drafted most of our good players,so he deserves some credit 'Pears, sheedy wanted to trade Jobe...'

Knights was very good at finding something in players at the VFL level that would mean they could play at the AFL level. If only he had worked on defence first and offence later, he may still be coaching. He is having great success as a VFL coach and may yet emerge as a AFL coach.

I liked Hird as a coach but it did demonstrate that the best coaches serve an apprenticeship before taking on a  AFL club. I'm sure he will be OK when he returns in 2015, he has paid his dues:

Time after time.
I've done my sentence
But committed no crime.
And bad mistakes ‒
I've made a few.
I've had my share of sand kicked in my face
But I've come through.
(And I need just go on and on, and on, and on)

Remember knights? Lol

Knights  Shannon Grant was very good at finding something in players at the VFL level that would mean they could play at the AFL level. If only he had worked on defence first and offence later, he may still be coaching. He is having great success as a VFL coach and may yet emerge as a AFL coach.

I liked Hird as a coach but it did demonstrate that the best coaches serve an apprenticeship before taking on a  AFL club. I'm sure he will be OK when he returns in 2015, he has paid his dues:

Time after time.
I've done my sentence
But committed no crime.
And bad mistakes ‒
I've made a few.
But I've come through.

Remember knights? Lol

Knights  Shannon Grant was very good at finding something in players at the VFL level that would mean they could play at the AFL level. If only he had worked on defence first and offence later, he may still be coaching. He is having great success as a VFL coach and may yet emerge as a AFL coach.

Time after time.
I've done my sentence
But committed no crime.
And bad mistakes ‒
I've made a few.
But I've come through.

Ivan,  I think it is too early to say this .

It is rare that ANY coach walks into a fully developed premiership team.

Take Geelong,  how much credit for their 2011 Premiership is given to Chris Scott ?  Not much IMO.

It took Bomber about 7 years to build their list to Premiership level,  and he already had done an apprenticeship.

In any case the Hird coaching stint from 2010 onlwards was a different model it was a mentor/OJT model,  Who says that is 

not valid?

Remember knights? Lol

Knights Shannon Grant was very good at finding something in players at the VFL level that would mean they could play at the AFL level. If only he had worked on defence first and offence later, he may still be coaching. He is having great success as a VFL coach and may yet emerge as a AFL coach.
I liked Hird as a coach but it did demonstrate that the best coaches serve an apprenticeship before taking on a AFL club. I'm sure he will be OK when he returns in 2015, he has paid his dues:
Time after time.
I've done my sentence
But committed no crime.
And bad mistakes ‒
I've made a few.
But I've come through.
Ivan, I think it is too early to say this .
Take Geelong, how much credit for their 2011 Premiership is given to Chris Scott ? Not much IMO.
It took Bomber about 7 years to build their list to Premiership level, and he already had done an apprenticeship.
In any case the Hird coaching stint from 2010 onlwards was a different model it was a mentor/OJT model, Who says that is
not valid?

I wasnt commenting on hird's coaching. I was just pointing out that it was Shannon grant with the eye for vfl talent and not knights

Remember knights? Lol

Knights Shannon Grant was very good at finding something in players at the VFL level that would mean they could play at the AFL level. If only he had worked on defence first and offence later, he may still be coaching. He is having great success as a VFL coach and may yet emerge as a AFL coach.
I liked Hird as a coach but it did demonstrate that the best coaches serve an apprenticeship before taking on a AFL club. I'm sure he will be OK when he returns in 2015, he has paid his dues:
Time after time.
I've done my sentence
But committed no crime.
And bad mistakes ‒
I've made a few.
But I've come through.

Take Geelong, how much credit for their 2011 Premiership is given to Chris Scott ? Not much IMO.
It took Bomber about 7 years to build their list to Premiership level, and he already had done an apprenticeship.
In any case the Hird coaching stint from 2010 onlwards was a different model it was a mentor/OJT model, Who says that is
not valid?

I wasnt commenting on hird's coaching. I was just pointing out that it was Shannon grant with the eye for vfl talent and not knights

You might be wrong on Knights. Geelong have no problem with Knights feeding some talent into their top 22. 

Remember knights? Lol

Time after time.
I've done my sentence
But committed no crime.
And bad mistakes ‒
I've made a few.
But I've come through.

not valid?

You might be wrong on Knights. Geelong have no problem with Knights feeding some talent into their top 22. 

Sorry Ivan, Misread the nesting of  posts

Knights gets an unfair go on this site, and in the article. In 2005 Sheedy recruited Heffernen, Cole and Campo. In 2006 he picked up Mal Michael. Knights was the first one to really start our rebuild in 2007. That we are better now seven years later than we were in the third year isn’t exactly surprising. And in that last season Knights had to deal with having retired Lloyd & Lucas, and having lost/traded/delisted McPhee, Lovett and Skipworth. It was a low point three years into the rebuild. He also still had issues with funds for the footy department.
Now, I’m not saying we should have kept Knights. He had clearly lost the playing group. But he had a damn difficult task, developed a lot of players, recruited pretty well, and appears to have given Hird/Thompson a solid base to build off. The idea he shouldn’t get any of the credit is unfair.
But the big test of Hird/Thompson will be premierships. They either deliver them and have done enough, or they don’t in which case they will be considered failures (at EFC as coaches). It’s a bit early to be lauding them before they even get us to a prelim.

Knights played his part in getting us back. He also led us in one of the most exciting Anzac days ever. He was important and we needed him before the Hird era.

Cale Hooker... has become the best intercept mark in the competition and is becoming as reliable as the veteran Dustin Fletcher once was.

ONCE was? BOOO!

He did get us to a final don’t forget, which isn’t bad during a rebuild.