Our proud history. Lets chat, Coleman the coach

Obviously we had to play on soccer pitches… but at least we had posts!

And that’s a goal umpire, not a goalie :wink:

1 Like

I don’t know if it was true but I read an article about 20 years ago to the effect that he almost made a comeback in the 1962 Grand Final. He was said to concerned that Charlie Payne wouldn’t be up to it and could cost us the flag (a view shared by many fans) and was half a mind to play himself a few days before the game and trained with the team accordingly. Apparently he took several hangers at training and could easily have played but eventually thought better of it.

2 Likes

Throw in a few more flags as well.
We was robbed by his injury, robbed l tell ya.

You really wanna wind up my FIL, just ask him about the suspension.

1 Like

Never saw him play but drank lots of beer at his pubs in West Brunswick and Dromana.

Another thing about that injury is that if it had happened today, or any time within about the last 20 years, he would probably have had reconstructive surgery, missed approximately one season, then come back as good as ever. All of those serious knee injuries were called “cartilage” injuries in those days, and were almost always career-ending. The surgery just didn’t exist back in those days. Today it’s still a serious injury, but almost everyone recovers with at worst the loss of half a yard of pace.

An exception was Hugh Mitchell, who did at least one knee (I think it was both), was out a few weeks but otherwise never missed a beat.