Outsourcing the "High Performance" position

Having witnesses the resurgence of Port Adelaide and their clear advantage over the rest of the competition in terms of running power is it time we looked abroad to find our own Darren Burgess?

I’ve long held the belief that Australia is miles behind the rest of the world in terms of Fitness and Strength coaches and imo how far Burgess has been able to take Port since he arrived further validates my opinion.

The game has changed to advantage players and sides that are capable of covering 15-20km a game, and at a quick pace. Clearly we don’t have this ability and the only 2 players playing Senior AFL football from our club this year that could match it with Port would be Stanton and potentially Ambrose

We need to look to Mexico IMO

Mexico would be a good off season trip

Lots of steroids, lack of WADA presence, harsh conditions to build character

Mexico would be a good off season trip
Lots of steroids, lack of WADA presence, harsh conditions to build character

High chance of being shot

l doubt that it is all about fitness. The team that has to chase all day will always look slower than the team that is being chased. Burgess is getting plenty of credit right now and rightly so, but it isn't all about fitness. 

Last time we did anything like change up this side of things went well.

While I do agree with most of that Fog, I would still be pretty nervous if I was head of fitness at any other club this year

As well most sports, clubs will follow the trends of whoever is at the top so if Port win the easiest one to replicate will be to pinch a bloke from the US college system or European soccer

Norf also have Steve Saunders in their medical department which helps them. Was actually going to throw in that they’re arguably the second best running side but struggle more against big bodied sides and probably don’t have as much player weaponry as Port do

And Matt - difference is they have built a reputation as the best running side over 2 years whereas for Robinson it last about 6 weeks lol

They only had two fit blokes on the bench in the last quarter of the north game, so that’s a poor example for whatever point you are trying to make.

I agree it’s not only about fitness, but their fitness is better than everyone else’s. The stats prove it.

While I do agree with most of that Fog, I would still be pretty nervous if I was head of fitness at any other club this year
As well most sports, clubs will follow the trends of whoever is at the top so if Port win the easiest one to replicate will be to pinch a bloke from the US college system or European soccer
Norf also have Steve Saunders in their medical department which helps them. Was actually going to throw in that they're arguably the second best running side but struggle more against big bodied sides and probably don't have as much player weaponry as Port do
And Matt - difference is they have built a reputation as the best running side over 2 years whereas for Robinson it last about 6 weeks lol

They are flavour of the month.

We were supposed to be like them under Quinn. He got heaps of praise. It faded. The over the top praise of Weapon the same.

Robinson seemed to do ok at Geelong. 

That Port bloke is getting some praise… Much like Robinson was at about this time in his first year. 

lolz if it ended the same way

Port were overrun by North Melbourne.
Yes they are fitter, but I attribute their success more to Ken Hinkley and the fact they were a sleeping giant just waiting to be awoken.
Since Ken has arrived, the only player they've really added to their list is Polec.
Monfries was there when he arrived and Wines was drafted by their recruiting staff.
Hinkley just gave them a gameplan that worked and belief they could carry it out. Yes they are fit, but that's just one step of the process that I don't think is a huge factor in their resurgence.

I think Hombsch, Impey and White are fair additions.

Norf also have Steve Saunders in their medical department which helps them. Was actually going to throw in that they're arguably the second best running side but struggle more against big bodied sides and probably don't have as much player weaponry as Port do

Other than consistently get over-run and cough up winning leads late in matches, what exactly is it that Norf have done that you would like us to replicate?

And what's a Steve Saunders?

Don’t they have something like 10 guys who run over 16 on beep test? There’s also the story about Matt Thomas, who was at best middle of the road at Port, arriving at Richmond and dominating the time trial.

And the small gact that they’ve won 7 final quarters for the year thus far.

Last time we did anything like change up this side of things went well.

Yep.

Following what's latest and greatest has got us into trouble twice in a few years.

First we got the run-run-run WCE bloke, then we got the lift-lift-lift Geelong bloke.

Both marked a huge change in direction, and IIRC sacked some staff & brought in their own. And both fell in a heap and ended up being sacked and going back the other direction. Can't imagine how it feels for the players stuck in the middle of all that.

Here's a thought - how about we follow a good, consistent mid-line?

We're currently getting decent output from 3-4 first and second year players every week, so the current mob can't be going all that bad.

Don't they have something like 10 guys who run over 16 on beep test? There's also the story about Matt Thomas, who was at best middle of the road at Port, arriving at Richmond and dominating the time trial.
And the small gact that they've won 7 final quarters for the year thus far.

That's also something they look for in their recruiting as well.

Our boys are fit, they are just poor and slow decision makers

Don't they have something like 10 guys who run over 16 on beep test? There's also the story about Matt Thomas, who was at best middle of the road at Port, arriving at Richmond and dominating the time trial.
And the small gact that they've won 7 final quarters for the year thus far.

sounds very similar to the story that Matt White who used to dominate time trials at Richmond is now only finishing middle of ths road at port!

Hawthorn and Port have by the best fitness coaches in the comp in Andrew Russell and Burgess. Andrew Russell is a borderline genius. The lack of professionalism from our club is astounding, we have a team of non athletes. Looking at how lean hawthorn are, every player is defined, and has both elite speed and endurance. The game has come full circle and we are still stuck with a clueless fitness department. Biomechanics and a players power to weight ratio are some of the things that are now defining the game. A great example was Belly last week, he is clearly overweight and could barely cover any ground. Compare him to Hale and you see the difference in the professionalism of the two clubs. The game is based on how 'athletic you are'. Defensive pressure, breaking the lines, tackling, staying with a player on a lead, uncontested possessions, this all comes from the fitness coaches ability to turn players into elite athletes. That's why a high performance coach is important.

I don’t think Bellchambers is a good example of anything except a guy whose ankle was toast for much of the year.